What fish are compatible with Guppies?

Dory

Hi, I've had tons of gf before, but I haven't been able to have very many fish for a while. Now I am starting up my tanks again and I thought I would like to try some tropicals. I have a 10g which is set up and I'm doing a fishless cycle with it right now. I also have a 55g which I will hopefully be setting up in a few months. I really want to breed guppies in the 55g and use the 10g as a nursery for the babies. But I would also like to have different kinds of tropicals in the 55g since it's a decent size. Since I am relatively new to tropicals I have been doing a lot of research, but the problem is that every website says different things. In your opinion, what kinds of fish are compatible with guppies? I also would really love to get a Red Tailed Shark. Unfourtunately, I know that they can be a somewhat more aggressive fish. I thought since the RTS is mostly a bottom dweller and guppies are mostly a mid-top level dweller maybe it would be okay IF I provided lots of cover and plants, and IF I added the RTS into the tank last and tried to find a smaller one. But I have no experience with these guys. What do you guys think? Would it be possible to keep a Red Tailed Shark in a 55g with guppies and other tropicals? If I do get one and it turns out they don't get along well, I suppose I could always put up a tank divider.

I am not sure about the shark and the guppies. It might cause too much trouble, more than it's worth.

Guppies are quite easy to keep in different water conditions (pH and temperature, as long as both are stable) so I would think pretty much any non aggressive community fish should work just fine with them. Or not? If you want something for the bottom, corydoras or small plecos would be neat. If you want something all over the place, then platy fish or swordtails and mollies would be the right choice.

I wonder how well hatchetfish would work? They are very peaceful. Overall many tetra varieties should be fine with them too :)

Some websites metions that Barbs, Angelfish, ram cichlids, and Dwarf and Honey Gouramis would be ok with guppies. I don't know if all of these are really non aggressive. What do you think? Sorry, at this point I don't have much experience with tropicals so I don't know what exactly is classified as non aggressive, semi aggressive and whatnot.

Angelfish might eat them, since guppies are much smaller. I have read this many times, and this is THE reason why I don't keep guppies with my angelfish.

Dwarf gouramis are usually quite peaceful, but males can get aggressive towards each other if there are more males than females. Not sure how this would affect guppies, except for the dwarf gourami possible taking out his aggression/frustration on the much smaller guppies.

The majority (or maybe even all?) chichlids are semi aggressive. They might get along well, but pose a threat if the guppies are spawning. Considered this is what you are planning to do, maybe keeping the guppies by themselves or with rather peaceful bottom feeders might be your best option :)

Otocinclus catfish should be great. They are not much bigger than guppies (if at all) and are mostly herbivores.

Rams are aggressive some times. I wouldn't suggest them. Mine are with angels. My angels don't eat any smaller fish but they are abnormal. You could try juvie angels. They are more likely to leave them alone if they grow up together but will attack each other if a pair is formed.

I've read many times too that you shouldn't keep guppies with angels because they could get eaten. I have kept adult guppies with angels many times and I cannot remember them ever getting eaten or even picked on. But if you wanted to save the fry, that's not going to happen. You'll just end up with some really fat angels!

I have also kept cherry barbs with angels & guppies because they aren't supposed to nip them. For a long time it worked but one day I started noticing the guppies & angels fins were nipped. It might have been because the barbs were spawning, I don't know...

Rams can definitely get aggressive. I had one that bit it's mates eyeball out! Eeek!

As for the gourami's... I've never kept one but always heard honey gourami's were the most peaceful.

We used to keep platties with our guppies too. I know we've had more tankmates but I cannot remember for the life of me.

A red tail shark well eat the babies. You could try some other tiny fish like silver tips, neons, danios or white clouds but you well need to add lost of plants for the babies to hid in and some of the others might give you babies too.

Right now I have guppies in with platies, cories, kuhli loaches and hatchetfish--they all get along great. Many other tetras are fin nippers so I wouldn't put them in with gups just to be safe. I had a rainbow shark which is very similar to a rts and he was fine with other fish as a juvenile. As he got older however he was quite territorial and frequently chased and nipped at his tankmates. They need to have a cave of some kind to hide in and will defend it. I guess some are more aggressive than others but you never know what kind of personality yours will end up having. So rts do best in a tank by themselves or with a few other semi aggressive tankmates. Oh, and they don't like to be housed with others of their own kind once they mature--they want their own space! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, red tail sharks get mean. Had a customer call the other day saying she got 2 sharks and 4 tiger barbs, and one of the sharks vanished without a trace...Hmmmmm....Can't imagine how that happened!!

Guppies are great with any fish that won't eat them. I've had them with betta even and they've been fine. I've only had fin nipping issues initiated by the tetras. The baby guppies make pretty good snacks for the other fish, so you can have them and just let nature take it's course in keeping the population manageable.

They can go full saltwater and even have babies in it, pretty interesting!!