Bernie is hanging on by a limb

Midnight112x

stewart and bruce look pretty good but the pearscale is still hurtin right now. However he has gotten worse today in general, but the other 2 looked a little better this morning so maybe its just the stages they were in prior to dip

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another thing. are they eating normal food or medicated food? because if you started medicated food it is very important to make sure they eat 1% of their body weight. I recently realized how MUCH this was. So check that out maybe. If they aren't on medicated food then feed them something nourishing with probiotics maybe.

Hi Midnight, your fish are beautiful. Sending healing vibes again. Was wondering about the fish in the top of the video. Is that the pearl scale? I know they have the pearly scales, but are his scales just sticking out a bit??? Or maybe that's what it should look like in top view??? Sorry if I am being an alarmist.

hi isabella thanks for the kind words. his scales are not sticking out but it might just look like it because your not used to seeing pearscales, possibly...

He is probably on his way out. Laying on his side now, seems to be losing color and breathing hard :(

This morning Bruce was swimming around and stewart was swimming on and off but right side up it seems. Both of them ate the metro meds so at least Bruce seems to be getting stronger...Stweart is hit and miss.

I wish whatever this was would just go away and stop killing my fish

• Supporter

ok cool.. do you think you can possibly seperate the pearlie and try the spring water? we are a few that are still thinking it may be some sort of poisoning from the water. is it possible to try this? even in a 5 gallon with spring water? if you think the pearlie is on it's way out where it is, perhaps this might help?

i hope i'm not being pushy daniel, it's just something i would do if i've exhausted all other avenues.

i can get spring water on my way home but i dont think we have any. Isnt the ph really low on spring water?

ammonia/nitrite and nitrate are all zero.

When you say poisoning in the water do you mean from the water source? I doubt it came from the water source because my 3 other tanks all have the same water...

based on what i have learned from you guys its either: that cup of rocks that had gunk in it and ,maybe built up bad bacteria

or it is a chemical that got into this tank only. Maybe the fake plants just leeched chemicals into the water?

If i told you that Peter has been lying on his side breathing heavy and also twitching like he was having a seizure could that eliminate either bacteria/ parasites/ or chemical?

It is hard without seeing the fish.

but what I usually get with bacteria is some sort of fluid retention/ dropsy. Which isn't happening in this case. The fish LOOK fine right? Like no fungus, no blood spot etc? Are they creating extra mucus maybe? Anything you can see?

I remember a member who lost all her fish in a few days from plants she put in her tank. THey all huddled together and were lying on top of each other. It was horrible. I think that was parasitic.

IF it is in the water. Did you already add the carbon? You can run that with salt without issue.

I'm suspecting the plant. Sorry if you've already said this, but how long has it been in the tank? Where did it come from, etc?

The symptoms sound like maybe they're neurological (the twitching) and/or affecting the organs, which a poison will often do.

the fish have no external markings of note. no spots, growths, redness, nothing. Its all behavior related as far as twitching, spastic swimming, bottom sitting, breathing deeply and rapidly and eventually sideways and death.

The plant history is this:

Fake plants from the big chain stores were bought throughout 2011 starting in january so some might be a year old.

We had real plants in there as well starting in August and they came from aquariumsplants website (i forget the name of it but many people use this site from Kokos) most of those real plants died starting in early december i think. a few are left but i moved them to the bedroom tank recently because i was salting this tank.

If it matters, those plants that were transferred from the main tank to the bedroom tank have had no effect on the one oranda in the bedroom. maybe it is too early, but it has been maybe 4-5 days and those plants that were in the infected tank did not harm the fish in the bedroom tank.

What a mess this is.. Im sorry i took up a lot of your time but i do appreciate everyone's help. its just so terrible that this is happening. I remember saying that my tank looked so barren because i was trying not to put anything in there that could harm them. it was just a bare bottom, a few fake plants, a few real plants that were still surviving, and a cup of rocks on a bare bottom.

Did you see any improvement after the dip?

The pearlie is the sickest now? He is the one who wasn't showing symptoms a few days ago right?

before the dip Bruce Willis was looking to slowly improve and is still on that path. he looks almost 70% normal again i would say

Stewart sits and swims and looks a little better after the dip but nothing drastic

The pearlie, Peter was the last to show symptoms ( i thought he was not sick for a few days there) and was going downhill before the dip and has fallen even further down. he has been laying on his side on the bottom twitching and swimming in place on the floor. breathing heavily

okay I see. Did Bruce and Stewart show these same symptoms before getting better?

Again, poop is still normal? And they are all eating?

well Bruce was never swimming weird. just breathing heavy and bottom sitting. and he is no longer sitting on the bottom and this has been consitant for many hours now. Stewart would swim sideways and upside down like a roller coaster, but not sitting in the corner twitching while laying on his side.

Maybe its because Peter is fat and slower? Bruce is a lean fantail and Stewie is a comet so he can jet around with ease.

What i am trying to say is that stewie looked really bad but in a different way and Bruce never looked horrible. They are all showing different behaviors its odd..Peter has not eaten in 2 days. Bruce and Stewart were swimming around collecting the metro meds this morning so i was happy about that. Stewart was not eating prior to this, Bruce was eating a little before.

and i see poop and it looks normal

Edited by Midnight

okay the only thing which is consistent is the heavy breathing right?

Have you tried cupping Peter and feeding him tiny pieces? I had to do that with Blondie.

i could try that later, with the feeding. And yes, the one consistant thing here is the breathing heavily. Tony Stark was swimming upside down but he died quick. he was the first to go. Died within 30 minutes of symptoms. But Bernie never swam upside down or sideways, but he did spaz out and shivver like crazy into the wall

Some of them looked blind, like they would twitch really fast and swim into the walls and into the corner like they were nuts.