Bernie is hanging on by a limb

Midnight112x

Also, i never noticed this before but each of them has a line on their scales. like someone drew with a knife from their head to their tail a straight line on their scales. Mybe its normal but they all have it and we saw it on katherine when she died... a row of scales forming a line.

the carbon is in there. yes

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those pics you showed me... you are referring to the beginning of the thread. it looks like you use 2 small tupperware containers? I have those and that might be easier. You do them all at the same time using a net?

The purpose of the dip is to help thier gills right? It should help with the deep breathing...?

yes to midnight questions . those are little containers, the fish are not to big and it does not give any trouble. the net provides a barrier between the hands and the fish body . In that paticular instant I did them all as you can see it was a QT procedure as after that they got the blue stuff and later on the prazi. CFG gave you a very good description on how she does it . Of course her fish are monsters and need a larger container.

Oh and if you can not weight the salt then note that most of the test containers for the NO2 and pH are graded in ml. lml is nearly exactly equal to 1 gram of fine salt!! the exact salt ammount is not a critical factor anything 1.0% up to 2 to 2% is ok as you watch the fish for "roll over signs" and of course pull himout ontime.

The purpose of the dip is to help thier gills right? It should help with the deep breathing...?

The purpose is to kill external parasites and bacteria. So if this is caused by parasites, it may kill large numbers at once, more quickly than upping the concentration in the tank slowly.

midnight if you use 2liter of water the amount of salt is about 8 tea spoon as a an american tea spoon is considered to be about 5 gram so 20 gram per liter x 2 is 40 gram or 8 tea spoonof 5 gram each. that will disovle quite nice. (CFG has a lot of salt to do so she speed it up i think with the warm water.) just guessing .

for just a few liters you can just dissolve it shaking it in a bottle or with a spoon. when you are preareing dips in larger tubs you need to boil it or the salt takes ages to dissolve. i however boil like 1-2liters and add it to a 10liter tank, so the temp doesn't rise much.

temp has to be exactly like the main tank temp. otherwise this will stress the fish. same with pH.

exactly michael

its dissolving in tank water pretty easilty for us. we used 30 grams for 2 liters to give us 1.5% salt. I did this because we do have the tank salted right now and i didnt want to go too extreme with it.

30 grams does not seem like a lot. It was maybe 1/3 a cup of salt. Maybe it just seems that way, 2 liters is not a ton of water...

Daniel, when did you change the water of the affected compared to the other tanks? Was it on the same day that you gave everyone WCs? If it's on the same day, then I am inclined to think that it's not a toxin, since only one tank is affected. But if you changed the water on different days for the tanks, it could still be toxins :(

it was within 24 hours so i dont think it is the water supply. i am leaning on it being in the tank something that infected them. im not shutting out the outside toxin but i just feel it was something from within based on circumstances...

So we did it. 2 of them were in there for one minute and Bruce got 30 seconds. Bruce looked dead or really calm so we didnt wait with him...after 30 seconds we scooped him. they are all ok now just waiting for me to fill the 20 gallons back up

I want to add another thought. The changing water on the same day is a really important question. The other question is do you use a different faucet for this tank than the others? I am still inclined to think it is a toxin. I had this happen in my first tank and that spiraling and quick downhill behavior and losses are exactly what I saw. I also had a bad experience with a piece of decor where all my fish started to act funny. I pulled it out and over the course of a few days with lots of back to back water changes, they all improved. It was a peice of fake wood, aquarium safe, and the underside paint was all bubbled. Not good.

I am hesitant about the salt dip as well in this case, especially because of the losses and the labored breathing. But if you are going to do it (and haven't already) watch the fish very closely and pull them out immediately at any sign of extreme distress. And I use hot water to dissolve the salt, but then put the saltwater container in the fridge to cool it down to match the temp.

Please, keep us posted. I am so sorry for all of your losses.

no cleaners or air fresheners used. We have the sugar glider cage fairly close so we are extra careful with this corner of the room.

And the sneaky sugar gliders cant throw anything into the tank because the cage has a cover on three sides

are they all back to normal? Blondie always looked dead and they she would get hyper in the clean water lol. Did they clear their gills well?

IF it was parasites I think you will see some improvement soon.

i decided to do the salt bath for a few reasons. I know some folks suggested not to but the main reason is that they are not getting better. i just watched 3 fish die this weekend and i was not just going to sit and wait anymore. i had to do something

i respect all your opinions here and you guys have helped me a ton in the past so please dont think i am taking one opinion over another... video here

http://youtu.be/-3OuzuicoSs