Bernie is hanging on by a limb

Midnight112x

I'm curious why meds aren't a good option here. No one knows what it is, multiple fish have been affected and getting them out of the tank seems not to have helped. What are the possibilities besides bacterial or parasite? Isn't the floating a sign of bacterial illness?

I don't know, I'm just wondering.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I didn't follow all this. If you removed the fish from the tank and they aren't better I would get them on MMs of you have them and they are fresh.

Are any of them bloated? Or just floaty? It might be worth doing salt dips on them if they aren't swollen. That will get rid of any surface parasites

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I hope all of your fish get better. I wonder what it is that they all are getting? I hope the meds work. My little ranchu is bottom sitting right now too and I know how stressful it is, not being able to just fix it.

we lost another one. katherine mcphee my orange fantail. I thought she was going to pull through but i think i was just be optimistic.

None of them are bloated. the biggest symptom seems to be the heavy breathing. deep breaths and some times rapid deep breaths. Is breathing even the right word?

At the moment the rest are bottom sitting, and sometimes taking huge breaths for a while. Stewart the comet, is bottom sitting followed by spastic swimming still. he is all over the place.

I dont know if they will eat but i will try it.

Ironically the pearlscale seems to be the strongest when i heard they were fragile

when i look at the gills i see nothing unusual on the outside. the inside looks a pinkish color which i beleive is also normal. The non-normal thing is that they are breathing heavily to the point where i *can* see inside of the gills. does that make sense? They do have .15% salt right now.

It does make sense. The labored breathing concerns me, since it might be indicative of compromised gill functions. In that case, I don't know that a salt dip is good or not. What do you guys think?

Stweart seems to be turning the corner in a good way at the moment. he has not been upside down or sideways in a while.

I also believe that all of them are going to turn it around. i think whatever we are doing is working with the new tank and the salt.

Maybe i am just being optimistic again...

Edited by Midnight

Stweart seems to be turning the corner in a good way at the moment. he has not been upside down or sideways in a while.

I also believe that all of them are going to turn it around. i think whatever we are doing is working with the new tank and the salt.

Yup, and I am glad.

This really makes me think it's a toxin and not an infection, since if it's an infection, the decline would not have reversed at this point :(

Make sure to give them as many water changes as possible, but it's critical to match temps to within 2 degrees and pH to 0.1 or 0.2 of each other. Salt needs to stay exactly the same as well. The idea is to prevent any fluctuating water conditions.

yea stewarrt starting riding the roller coaster again so i was just optimistic but i still do not think any of them are going to be lost. Right now i have already rinsed the main tank and have run double dose of prime. About to empty it again and refill it for the last time. ill hook up the filters and let them run overnight without any fish in it. i will be gone for the evening celebrating valentines day with the wife but i changed 50% of the hospital tank water and added prime/ salt/ and matching temp water.

It does make sense. The labored breathing concerns me, since it might be indicative of compromised gill functions. In that case, I don't know that a salt dip is good or not. What do you guys think?

I don't think a salt dip is the way to go either. It really does seem like they were poisoned by something for it to be so sudden. Is there a chance anything got into your water? Maybe consider phoning the city as well to see if the water supply has been treated? It could still be a pathogen or bacteria, but it's so odd for so many to get sick at once like this :(

I don't know much about water poisoning because in Switzerland we always have to have drinkable water.

If it is a toxin it might then be worth running carbon in their tank and replacing it every few days maybe.

Besides what we see in the video. Do they seem to have excess slime?

No fish are new right? And you haven't added anything new either? Because that would be the only possible cause for such an aggressive parasite. If not I agree with Chrissy. It could be water related.

well no new fish or plants since september so thats not the issue. i do have some carbon laying around from filters i bought... ill try it for the 3 that are left.

I feel that tomorrow when i get home Stewart will be gone, he is now following the trend.

Its worth a shot as carbon cant hurt them for a few days