Bernie is hanging on by a limb

Midnight112x

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the kind words. We are not exactly sure what caused it, but i am assuming poor water quality leading to an outbreak. I changed the water once every 14 days which i have learned, is not enough. I got over confident because my test readings showed no nitrates, ever. Leaving me to beleive that it was ok.

I have come to this conclusion because my tank was basically bare with a few fake plants and a cup of rocks. My filters were pretty clean with limited gunk, and i dont use any chemicals near my tank.

I am retiring my 30 gallon tank in the bedroom so i can focus on this one only.

**There is more in your tank than what you can test for** Lesson learned the hard way

• Supporter

hun, tbh, we really don't know :( i wish we did. i just supplied you the list of products available to test your tank water. what actually caused this many deaths? i am sorry, i don't have an answer :(

when you wc, do you do all the tanks at the same time (i.e on the same day?) if not, perhaps you can ask the water supply people for the values of the water on the day that you waterchanged that particular tank.. just thoughts here..

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss :(

I feel your pain. Last year I lost more fish in 6 months than I had in the 5 years previous, due to something in my tank. I felt like you, that I had gotten complacent and not done enough tank cleaning. But don't be too hard on yourself. Fish keeping is far from easy and we can only try our best.

I think the best approach to prevent it from happening again is just do more water changes. The kits Stakos listed may help, but there are also things like bad bacteria that can't be tested for, so it's best to just take the cautious route and change out that water as often as you can.

yea thats the plan. We have a well water here and our water is actually drinkable, its nice. The PH is on the high side, above 7.8 but the api drop test kit does not ahve my color blue. Its higher than the scale shows by a little.

Sometimes i change water on the same day and sometimes i do not. Either way, its going to be weekly. i thought 50% weekly would be the same as 90% every other week. this wont happen again.

Daniel I am So Very Sorry for all of your loss :( I'm sure the last decision was not a easy one,but one that was for the best of your fish :) I do hope with regular weekly w/c's you will not ever have this problem again :)

May all your fish R.I.P. :(

And don't beat yourself up...lesson learned now time to move forward :)