Bernie is hanging on by a limb

Midnight112x

My little lionhead Bernie williams is hanging on by a limb. breathing heavy and sort of letting the current take him around with glipses of fight in him. see my previous thread from yesterday where Tony stark died http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97696-please-help-tony-stark-is-sick/page__fromsearch__1

I hope he pulls through, i put this little guy through the worst when i sucked out his eye and tore half of his face off with the gravel vac back in october. Whatever killed tony probably has Bernie. He has fresh water and i eliminated any spot where bacteria could be hiding.

At this point it is just a waiting game.

somehow i failed once again...

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck man, sorry about Tony Stark. I'm currently battling a parasitic invasion, but luckily my fish are improving. My little weakling was bottom sitting and had a weird swollen spot on her butt, thought it was constipation initially just like with your Iron Man, yet Jungle AP was the only thing that helped. Tried spinach, peas, etc, she was pooping fine. The right meds have put her back on the right track, hopefully that's all you need. Don't forget, Prazi doesn't cover every parasite.

I think putting up a video will really help, and some high quality shots. This way people see exactly what's going on and can make the most accurate recommendations. Good luck, regardless.

yea i decided to change 95 % of the water and add the salt back in. i know i should let the prazi sit for a few days but i had to act quick and made a decesion to change most of the water. i did take out a cup full of rocks which had a lot of gunk hidden in there. maybe that was the issue. i have a video being loaded but at the moment bernie is spazzing out swimming wildly but in the video he is just laying there...

the tank has a lot of darting fish but Bernie looks the worst and Katherine, an orange fantail, has her dorsal fin clamped every now and again

i decided to put all 5 in my 20 gallon qt quickly. I have an air pump, some amquel plus and i salted to .15% as to not disrupt them too much. now i have to go to my brothers birthday party and hope when i come back they are alive. Only one of them, peter griffen the pearscale, looks healthy.

What now? clean and remove everything from the 55 gallon?

i know about the water changes in the 20 gallon but i assume start a new cycle? rough...

Midnight that's horrible! Apologies if you already eliminated this possibility, but could something have gotten in the tank - soap, cleaning product ??? I hope you find what is going on in you tank and they all pull through!

:bye2:

• Admin

At this point I would do a bleach treatment on everything. Since we need to nuke the tank.

This means the filter and everything. You could even run that filter on the tank with one part bleach to 19 parts water. Put the plants and everything that was in the tank (of course not the fish :o) sit in the tank if you can.

Then after no less than an hour. Dump the water out and rinse everything out with Hot/warm water, till you cant smell the bleach anymore. Then to be extra careful fill the tank up (warm water), after that hook the filter up again, dump everything in the tank again, this time add Prime (2 times normal dose) to the water. This will make sure all the bleach is gone. Then dump out and rinse one more time :)

Oh no, I am so sorry! These fish are definitely unhappy :( How often do you clean the filter media / filter intake tubes etc? I wonder if gunk is somewhere in there and nasties are breeding in it.

You will have to do a fishless cycle again. If you can get your hands on Nutrafin Cycle (at least my local Petsmart has it currently on closeout for about 30% off), get the largest bottle or two of them, and keep adding 10ml per 10 gallons during the first week, and then 5ml per 10 gallons until the tank seems fully cycled. This should really boost the cycling process and maybe even cut the required time in half.

Then stop using this supplement and keep a close eye on the parameters when you add the fish. If trace ammonia shows, you can re dose with 10ml per 10 gallons for a few days.

ok so i borrowed a filter from my bedroom tank (this tank has Fred Astaire in it and he has been healthy without symptoms for about a month so i assume his filter is ok). Its a small filter but its better than nothing right now. They are all still alive somehow, and some of the ones that looked "not so bad" are looking worse while the ones that looked to be on their way out are swimming better.

so i have 5 in a 20 gallon on my kitchen counter

As for the nuking, i will remove all the filter media and trash it, but leave the fake plants? Are fake plants safe? I failed chemistry in college so if i have 55 gallons of water (probably about 50 really) i should add 2.5 gallons of bleach?

Is amquel plus ok to use instead of prime?

Fang, you mentioned a fishless cycle after, assuming my fish survive somehow, would you still recommend this? they would be in the 20 gallon all 5 of them.

You might suggest a large tupperware container but there is no room in my apartment for it so that is a no go. At this point we are in a tight living space until we find a house.

thanks again everybody. I just had a long drive home, wondering if my fish were still alive for the last few hours i was gone...

I would bleach the fake plants and the decor, but don't put it back in. It sucks to have an empty tank, but at this point that is the best choice. You can also put it back later once everyone is better. I stopped using fake decor and only use live plants now. So much of it isn't tank safe even when people say it is.

I agree...sterilize that tank. I would keep them in the 20 gallon for a week or so, with huge twice daily water changes. Once they seem better I would put them back in the main tank. It will be cycling again, so you have to keep up those water changes and those params.

I think there is some sort of toxin in the tank...anything you can think of that got in there? Inspect your decor and plants for any bubbling or leeching.

you mentioned a fishless cycle after, assuming my fish survive somehow, would you still recommend this? they would be in the 20 gallon all 5 of them.

You might suggest a large tupperware container but there is no room in my apartment for it so that is a no go. At this point we are in a tight living space until we find a house.

thanks again everybody. I just had a long drive home, wondering if my fish were still alive for the last few hours i was gone...

I wouldn't recommend it. Five in a 20 is, as you know, risky. Miss one water change and there might be serious trouble. I'd keep them in there, as Amy suggested, long enough to get the 55 sterile and then put them back in and cycle with the fish in the tank. Yes that also carries its risks, but IMO not as many as keeping them in the 20.

So sorry you're going through this :(

morning update: Katherine looks like tony did right before he died. not good. I hate to say it but we might have to euthanize her, she is at that point of no return

Bruce and bernie are bottom sitting mostly but not laboring their breathing anymore

Peter griffen looks fine

Stewart is swimming around fast but stangely, sideways sometimes, spinnig around, and then sitting.

Oh no I am so sorry this is happening to you :( I also am leery of plastic plants anymore :( I prefer live or silk now :) better off with a completely empty tank until you know exactly what is going on in the 55 :( when your done with the bleach bomb and know the tank is safe slowly add decor keeping an eye on any changes in behavior ;)

I hope things work out for you & your fish asap :)

bleach is cleaning the main tank now. in the hospital tank Stewart is doing flips like a roller coaster. Swimming crazily upside down ,sideways, up down, etc. Maybe he is fighting to stay alive.

Katherine might have to be euthanized.

Bernie is in the corner sitting.

Bruce and Peter are half bottom sitting half swimming around the bottom.

I went to the lfs and bought $200 worth of supplies for the new tank set up. prime, cycle, new bubble wand, filter media, tahitian moon sand etc...

You are such a great fish keeper, hang in there! I'm sure you will, but take a good look inside your filter for anything that might be 'off' (bits of rust, etc.) and check the heater too. It's so strange to have all your fish suddenly develop problems.