Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

Saw a Pealscale with a wen

i had to pick up some more salt from pet-corp today and saw a pearlscale with a wen and a blue pearlscale. This store has some rare fish lately.

I was tempted to take them home but i ran outta there but if i had the room and the energy to QT right now they would be mine

It's a crown pearlscale. I have one, they're pretty awesome.

Not necessarily a crown pearlscale. :) As you know, crown pearlies have wen primarily on top of their head, ideally forming one large, smooth, round, bubble-shaped dome.

But crossing either variety of pearlscale (crown or tikus) with varieties of traditionally-wenned goldfish (such as ranchus or orandas) can sometimes result in a pearlscale with a more "regular" wen -- i.e., instead of the bubble dome, they have the fat cheeks and a bumpy wen we associate with orandas, etc.

I'm not sure which type Midnight saw at his LFS. But if it was a pearlscale, you know it was cute! (And a blue one? Really? AWESOME.)

Not necessarily a crown pearlscale. :) As you know, crown pearlies have wen primarily on top of their head, ideally forming one large, smooth, round, bubble-shaped dome.

But crossing either variety of pearlscale (crown or tikus) with varieties of traditionally-wenned goldfish (such as ranchus or orandas) can sometimes result in a pearlscale with a more "regular" wen -- i.e., instead of the bubble dome, they have the fat cheeks and a bumpy wen we associate with orandas, etc.

I'm not sure which type Midnight saw at his LFS. But if it was a pearlscale, you know it was cute! (And a blue one? Really? AWESOME.)

That was very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to explain about the pearlscales. I like the pearlies with the "regular" wen.

I had a friend from China who said they commonly hand spawned different varieties of goldfish to see what they would come up with. Her favorite varieties being different variations of "eyed" fish, such as a redcap bubbleye etc.

I had an interesting experience, not sure if I posted it on another thread, but I had 2 unrelated black orandas, male and female. I bred them several times, and got a varitey of fry, unfortunately I couldn't raise more than a few over 1 1/2 yrs. The interesting part was several of them, in particular a calico with large black spots and one totally black were lionheads with pearlscales. The calico had the pearlscale shaped body with long tail fin, large wen, and no dorsal. The black pearlscale lionhead had a lionhead body shape, pearl scales, short fins, no dorsal, and a small wen for it's age.

Goldfish genetics are awesome and weird at the same time. Years ago, I lost most of my goldfish when I moved from parents home to my current house. the two that ended up surviving were my shubunkin(female) and my chocolate oranda(male)...before my male died, he had spawned with the female a week prior and I was anxious to see what I would get from that mix. But the time the fry were 3 weeks old, my female died. None of the fry were fancy and in the end, only 5 survived(Roulette, Spade, Joker, Jinx and Dorothy(the runt of the litter...lol...kept here in a tank with my cory cats cause she was sooo little)....almost a year and a half later, the first four(Roulette the only female) spawned and amazingly, 25% of the fry came out fancy. I kept 5 regular goldfish and 3 fantail(how I hope turn out to be orandas) Its been a year and half and the five single tail goldfish spawned two weeks ago and I can see quite a few fancy goldfish in the making. so soon, I will have fish to give away again....lol. :krazy:

lol..

This is mine. It is not the best pic

021-2.jpg

Tazz,

In that particular cross the fancy traits must have been recessive. Do you know which of the fish spawned? If it is truly recessive, they both must have been carriers of the fancy genes for any offspring to show the traits.