PLANTED TANK QUESTIONS!

Monkey87

Hey guys i have a pretty moderate - high planted tank... i was wondering about Co2 and aeration?? i know i cant have the air pump running while injecting Co2.. so i was wondering.. do i turn off the air pump during the day and put the co2 ON? and at night do i reverse it? turn co2 off and oxygen on?? i figure plants dont produce O2 at night?? and so the air pump would be a good idea for fish? or am i mistaken?? what do i do?? co2 on all the time? even at night? HELP! confused..

When the lights are on in your tank the plants will absorb carbon dioxide and expel oxygen. When the lights are out the plants absorb oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. Water movement (air pump/filter spray bar or nozzle) will increase oxygen content and deplete excess CO2 at night. No water movement during the day will help to preserve CO2 levels but will limit the oxygen that your fish and BB's need. Fang as long as your DIY CO2 system is making a bubble a second you will be fine. Less than that and it won't really be making an impact on your tank.

A drop checker will help you to know what the concentration of CO2 is in the tank. You can get them fairly cheap.I wouldn't use CO2 without one. I don't like the idea of CO2 with Goldfish, after my experience with small fish was not good. They hated the CO2, and I couldn't stand to see them suffer. I purchased an entire pressurized system for big $$...and it sits in my storage room.

With a DIY system, you run the risk of a dump at night, which can cause PH to crash and kill all the fish. Not a fan...too scary to me. I have the plants in my tank, but they do suffer from some algae. My fish are more important to me than pearling algae free plants.

another thing is placement of the diffuser... i have it at the bottom of the tank somewhere near the middle front glass.. i still get more bubbles on one side...?? does this really matter? or will the concentration of co2 in the water be the same on both sides?? or do i need to find a way to get equal amount of bubbles to both sides of tank??

I use the TetraPlant CO2 Optimat system and it is a very basic setup but does everything that i need it to. It literally consists of a CO2 can, a hose and a diffusion tube. All i do when the lights come on in the tank is press the button on top of the canister and hold for a slit second until all the water is pushed out of the diffuser tube. Through out the day the CO2 passes through the membrane on top of the diffuser and dissipates into the water. It normally takes about 6 hours for the water to fill the tube up again. It's a great system for a beginner like myself and when my lights go out for the night all the CO2 is gone from the tube.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue/co2-systems-g79-304.asp

another thing is placement of the diffuser... i have it at the bottom of the tank somewhere near the middle front glass.. i still get more bubbles on one side...?? does this really matter? or will the concentration of co2 in the water be the same on both sides?? or do i need to find a way to get equal amount of bubbles to both sides of tank??

Place your drop checker on the other side, across from the diffuser. The movement in the tank from the water flow mixes the CO2. Signs to watch for of discomfort to your fish~Gasping for air, swimming and gulping at the surface,reddening of the gills.

ok cool... one more question!!!!!........... i have done alot of research and everything i see contradicts the website i looked at before.. so im up in arms.. i hear that using my air pump and airstone at night would be good for the fish and wouldnt harm the plants because photosynthesis doesnt occur at night therefore a possible o2 shortage possible?? but i also hear its not necessary because the plants should produce sufficient o2 to last the night....SO.... what do u guys think about the whole turning my co2 off at night and using my air pump? and then turning the air pump off in morning and turning co2 back on?

oxygen doesn't raise the pH again, it's the loss in CO2 that raises the pH back. I'm not sure if the flutuations in a day/night would be enough to have an effect on your fish. Personally, I'd just leave both on 24/7... as long as you're not REALLY running the CO2 heavy, there shouldn't be a problem.

Would this. Cause a fluctuation in ph? As co2 lowers ph, wouldn't the o2 raise it.?or no?

This is a good question. Hmmm... I just put a PH monitor on my 100G tank and by the end off the day (with one DIY CO2 that seems to do a bubble every 2-3 seconds or so), my PH is about 7.6. The CO2 from the DIY setup enter the tank around the clock, but I run the airstone at night, too. The PH in the morning is about 8. So, there is a fluctuation--though I have seen no bad effects. But now wonder if that is indeed something to worry about. Mind you, in this big tank with this simple CO2 system, the CO2 saturation is not that high. I guess you would have more in a smaller tank, so the impact might be greater. The KH/GH in your tank will also impact yur PH, so important to factor that in.

I should also add that that I have lots of plants, so there seems to be plenty of O2 in the tank during the day. Without plants,or with a light to medium planting, I would always have an airstone or something creating a lot of surface agitation around the clock

hmmmm... i just dont want to add an airstone if not neccessary!!... especially with fluctuating ph.. i havent seen fishing gasping for air or anything at night or before lights on.. so i think i will remove airstone... no need for it as of now.. :)