Sign in to follow this  
chade617

Oranda 10 Minute Color Change

Let me pick your brains for a minute. I have a medium sized Panda Oranda, that is honestly more blue/purple and white, than black and white. He also has a patch of yellow/gold under the darker colors on one side.

The other day, I had him out of the tank and into a 5 gallon bucket while performing a major water change. He was in the bucket for MAYBE an hour while I changed 90% of the water in my 46 bow-front. After letting the filter cycle the new water for about a half hour, I placed the Panda back into the 46 and was shocked to see that most of his color had completely bleeched out! The whites were obviously still white, but the blue/purple had turned to a light greenish color and the gold was completely gone! I was initially very upset with this, but after about 10 minutes, all of his color returned as if nothing had happened!

My wife thinks I dreamed all of this up, but I am certain that the color on this fish faded out and then came back. Is it possible that the stress from being in the bucket caused this? Or perhaps a lack of light in the bucket? I have never heard of this happening and can't seem to find anything on the internet about it. Again, there is nothing wrong with the fish, I am just more curious than anything.

Also, 3 other Orandas of varying colors (Med. Calico, Sm. Redcap, Sm. Blue) had no signs of color change. I had 2 five gallon buckets with 2 Orandas in each. The buckets were orange, although that probably doesn't matter. HA!

Thanks for reading!

Yes some fish will lose their color for a while, either because of stress or even if the temperature in bucket got too cold. :)

Yeah, I've seen that happen especially with my guppies when they get stressed.

May I suggest leaving your fish in the tank the next time when you do a big WC? As long as the water covers his/her dorsal fin, that should work out fine. I change that much water every 4-5 days, depending on the tank, and my fish are great with it :)

I agree with Alex removing them for a w/c is more stressful than not I always leave my fish in the tank during any maintenance ;)

Thanks for the quick replies! I knew I wasn't seeing things! My wife had me thinking that I was starting to go crazy!! :krazy:

I usually leave the fish in the tank for routine maintenance, but with such a big water change, it was just easier to remove them entirely. I had a traumatic experience last year while syphoning the gravel that resulted in a black moor loosing BOTH eyes and eventually dying. I have been leary ever since about leaving the fish in the tank when doing extreme maintenance. I appreciate the advice though and will definitely try to leave them in whenever possible. :unsure:

ahhh this happens to one of mine too, but I thought perhaps it was just the light, or lack of in the bucket, playing tricks on me.

May I suggest leaving your fish in the tank the next time when you do a big WC? As long as the water covers his/her dorsal fin, that should work out fine. I change that much water every 4-5 days, depending on the tank, and my fish are great with it :)

I agree here!

And I had something similar happen whan I was a little girl, I had this fully orange comet that had a dark spot on top of her head, which faded over night, every night. During the morning hours the spot returned very quickly, but every morning when I turned on the light, the spot was almost gone.

One of my shubunkins showed something similar, although reversed. The tank lights would make her black spots turn pale grey, but when the lights were out, the spots would quickly become deep black again.

Mine changed colour once. It was because of stress. I placed them in a cycled tank and they where better after a day and regained their colours.

ahhh this happens to one of mine too, but I thought perhaps it was just the light, or lack of in the bucket, playing tricks on me.

Actually I recently read something about how fish usually lose some colour while theyre asleep, and they usually fall asleep quickly when in darkness (except nocturnal fish) so that could be why they lose colour if theyre in a dark bucket for a while, rather than just stress.

I had a black moore that was going silver. When I would come home at night and turn on the lights he would be orange and black. Then within a few minutes he would go back to silver and black.