Sign in to follow this  
chade617

LED Lighting for Oranda Tank

Hi All,

Just a couple of quick questions. I am currently running a single 36" standard flourescent bulb over my 46 gallon Oranda tank. The bulb is close to the end of its life and I am thinking of retrofitting the housing with an Ecoxotic Stunner LED strip. I used to have a 50/50 compact flourescent over an old tank and loved the color of the lighting and the visual effects that it had on my fish. Everything seemed brighter and cleaner. I am hoping to recreate that effect with the more efficient LEDs. My first question involves the color of the lighting. The Stunner LEDs come in a variety of color combos, most of which are probably useless for a fish-only aquarium. I am looking at the all white (8K) or the white(12K)/blue combo. Which leads me to my next question. I like to keep a thin carpet of algae on the tank sides to help with nitrate reduction. The tank receives *some* indirect sunlight, but i fear about losing the algae with the wrong LED lighting. So finally, the 2 questions.

1.) What is the best lighting color or combo for bringing out colors?

2.) How will LED lighting effect the growth of my algae?

Thanks for all fo the help!

I have a "colormax" light bulb in my strip light right now--it came that way. The colormax is supposed to bring out the colors of the fish, and it's kind of a pink color. Perhaps bringing out color is the purpose of the magenta LEDs? I think for freshwater you might want to leave out the blue, which is more common in marine applications. I'm not sure on this, though... I've not seen these LEDs used much in freshwater.

It's hard to say how the LEDs will affect your algae, because LEDs are a fairly new technology and there's not a lot of data out there to look at. There are some very knowledgeable people over on the planted tank forum (plantedtank.net) who might be better able to answer that question. There may even been a thread over there already on this topic. :)

Perhaps someone will come along who can help you more than I can, which is not a lot at all. Good luck! :D