Ryukins... aggressive?

Pontosfan

I've been looking aorund online, learning as much about goldfish as I can. And it keeps popping up that Ryukins are often aggressive. I've had my eye on one for a while and was thinking of adding it to my tank so I'd like some clarrification on the matter. Are they more aggressive? If so, why?

My girls are totally not aggressive. THey are however very fast and bright. Maybe this would lead them to be unsuitable tank mates to slower and maybe more handicapped fish (eye handicap or swimming handicap)

• Supporter

all fish can be aggressive. they are subject to personality/social problems just like we are.. sometimes aggressive fish can change, sometimes it can be the quality of water.. and sometimes, you just score a bully that remains a bully.

i have several ryukins, they're all passive and happy.

I have 5 very young ryukins. When I first introduced them to the big tank they were terribly aggressive (chasing, niping, biting) to my orandas. They did get a long with a telescope for some reason. Later I introduced an oranda and all has been fine since. No problems with aggression at all... Maybe they just had to get to know each other? I have no explanation for it. They are a joy to have.

Both of my ryukins are the most peaceful fish I own...

However, as previously mentioned, they are extremely fast, and tend to have great eyesight. Mine usually eat up all the food before the others even notice I've dropped it in!

• 2 months later...

Pure ryukins, i mean with the big body shape, big hump and huge fins...are very strong fish. so when they harass another fish, it can be quite damaging to the other fish (bubble eyes, black moors, ranchu etc). but every fish is different, if a strong ryukin is used to being with a black moor or a bubble eye fish, they will have no problems, but if u introduce them to one another when they have not seen another type of fish, it could be lethal hehe.

• 3 months later...

It really is a pot luck kind of thing.............

If you buy them from the shop, OBSERVE how they interact with others in the tank - chasers, nippers, attackers, timid etc

However when u get them home, the dynamics change again................so it really is fingers cross

I've have to return 1, whom i named the she-devil cos she was so aggressive - beautiful - but way too aggressive

I have to agree it is a pot luck, but I have herd long tail ryukins can be more aggressive than the short tailed ones. Not sure if there is any truth to that.

I have 2 ryukins- a little calico named Murray, who I actually got from the bargain bin at PetSmart- he has a BEAUTIFUL back hump, and the little pointy nose. He may not have been sold as a ryukin, but he definitely has the ryukin body shape- his hump is GORGEOUS. He is still pretty young, under a year old. I also have a large 5" Ryukin, Buttercup, who is a "rescue fish", and came to me with a large 6-7" oranda, Petunia, and a 5" male Moor, Mack- they lived in a 45 gallon tank with 2 10" kissing gouramis before coming to me. Mack has eye damage from being bitten by a gourami (healed before he got here, but slightly deformed) and the girls have shredded fins, also from the gouramis- they will heal. Buttercup is about 4 years old, and very, very floaty (getting better after switching from flakes to gel food). Long tailed, nice back hump- beautiful fish. She is one of the most gentle fish in my tank- she and Petunia just kind of pal around all day, swimming together and snuggling (not spawning- both are girls), and Murray is THE most gentle male I have in the tank- even when doing the spawning chase- he is the least aggressive about it. For the most part, he just keeps to himself and forages, but, likes to hang out with the other fish from time to time, too. My fantails are much more aggressive than my ryukins. From my experience, they're happy-go-lucky, very laid back, and just generally nice fish. :)

I seriously advocate ryukin! xD

Custard is so docile I have him with Philbert, my giant-eyed moor, and my pearlscales.

Gaston was a little bully in the store, but once he got home and he had space he calmed down and became one of the most mild mannered of my fishies.

I really don't think they are any more inclined to be aggressive than any other goldfish. I think they're wonderful. <3

Thank you all for your input! General consensus seems to be that ryukins have the same potential to be aggressive as any other goldfish, and many are peaceful giants. I think I'll start trying to talk the boyfriend around. :)