Sign in to follow this  
musterbeard

How To Stop Bulb's Compartment Leaking?

Initially i have found bulb's compartment is leaking and recently identified the problem. When cover is closed, there are gaps in the middle on both sides even with rubber sealant protruding more than it should be as can be observed in the pictures below:

http://i.imgur.com/5kC2m.png

http://i.imgur.com/7YCwG.png

Maybe plastic simply deformed or was bent when i got aquarium? Maybe i can heat plastic and bend it while it obeys deformation? I was suggested to use fishtank sealant silicone, but i still will need access to bulb's compartment in case of changing bulb maybe. I need sealant that won't require me taking it off and applying new layer everytime i close plastic compartment. Is there another additional way for solving this problem?

I'm not understanding what you are talking about and your photographs are so close that I can't tell what you're taking a picture of.

It sounds like you are trying to make the light bulb area of the aquarium hood be water tight?

Please take different photos.

Here is a video of what i am talking about:

Additional pictures:

Lid:

fdQMbl.jpg

Below the lid:

BFSBSl.jpg

Front view of plastic cover:

7EdIrl.jpg

Back view of plastic cover:

V0KXsl.jpg

Edited by musterbeard

I see what you are saying... Is there an actual problem caused by this not being 100% tight? I have a 10 gallon betta tank, and the light bulbs are only partly covered. I never had a problem with it.

But if you want to prevent moisture to build up in the bulb compartment, I wonder if you could get some sort of filter sponge, cut it in long strips and glue these to the sides of the grey hood, like a frame for the clear plastic? That should keep the moisture out :)

Maybe I can think of something better :hmm

I see what you are saying... Is there an actual problem caused by this not being 100% tight? I have a 10 gallon betta tank, and the light bulbs are only partly covered. I never had a problem with it.

But if you want to prevent moisture to build up in the bulb compartment, I wonder if you could get some sort of filter sponge, cut it in long strips and glue these to the sides of the grey hood, like a frame for the clear plastic? That should keep the moisture out :)

Maybe I can think of something better :hmm

Maybe i can use silicone to place on sides? Or better yet, aquarium approved silicone?

Are these sponges made for aquarium-use? If so, then that should be fine.

You could silicone them to the sides in a way that you can still remove the lid from the light, while at the same time fitting tight enough to keep most of the moisture out :)