Sign in to follow this  
musterbeard

Buffy Stays On The Bottom But Eats?

Hello, i am kind of a new fishkeeper because i have got aquarium with 2 goldfish from relative and do not meticulously observe everything and even do not measure water. I just do basic stuff. Here is a picture of aquarium and all of the information i have:

xK4b7l.jpg

• 4.7 gals since middle 2011 when i got aquarium
  • JEBO water filter
  • Until yesterday 2 time a week 90% of volume, from yesterday will change 3 times a week, 50%
  • Today last water change, 50%
  • 2 goldfish of small size i guess
  • No water additives, only dechlorinator
  • Flakes in the morning, pellets in the evening
  • No new fish ever
  • No medications so far
  • Maybe one has little frayed spot on one side

The problem is that Fluffy, gets pulled up sometimes which i have video'ed today:

I have tried feeding fish thawed green peas to stabilize digestive system, but it does not seem to cure the problem.

But sometimes i observe Fluffy and Buffy are resting on the bottom of aquarium together tight to each other. Don't know who is a boy and who is a girl but i have noticed such behaviour recently. Also recently they started freaking out often when slight yellow light is switched next to aquarium or when i place my hands above aquarium.

Recently i had to clean whole aquarium and after i transferred them, they were not moving and i thought they were dead. But fortunately i think they "played it dead" and they do that often when they are scared i think.

Thanks for help!

I think you're most likely seeing the effects of water quality issues. That tank is far too small for two fish, even with the water changes you're doing. Is there any way you could get the water tested?

I'm no expert, but i do know that the minimum tank size for two fancy goldfish is 20 gallons. But unless I'm mistaken, you have two commons, which require a minimum of 40 gallons for two. So as previously said, your tank is unfortunately much too small for those guys, even though they're little. :( would it be possible for you to get a larger tank? the huddling together on the bottom is most likely bottom sitting, a sign of illness :( its definitely a good idea to get your water tested at petsmart or petco:) good luck!:):)

:)

-Mandie

Edited by pandamanda111

Then why such small fishtanks are made? Is there "all-in-one" water tester?

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Yep! The best is the API master test kit. Its the most accurate. You can get it at most pet stores for $30, or on amazon for around $20. Small fish tanks are made for bettas, but unfortunately, not for goldfish:(

Edited by pandamanda111

Also, do you feed him floating flakes?

Yes i do. Flakes stay on top for about 15 seconds and then start decending. But not pellets which always stay on top.

I meant 1 testing device measuring everything, not each device to measure something specific.

Please consider feeding sinking pellets like omega one or progold:) until then, please soak the flakes in a cup of tank water for one minute, then dump them in the tank:) its much better for them.

Unfortunately, there is no one device that tests everything that I know of. Drop tests are fun and easy though:) its cool to watch the water change colors when you add the drops. It's like a little science experiment! I highly reccomend the API master test kit:)

Until you can get a larger tank, I would suggest a 40 gallon sterlite plastic bin with a filter and an airstone, or 2 20 gallon ones:)

Edited by pandamanda111

Exactly! A large tub can be the cheapest way to house a goldfish correctly! Goldfish can easily grow to a foot in length with proper care.

Please consider feeding sinking pellets like omega one or progold:) until then, please soak the flakes in a cup of tank water for one minute, then dump them in the tank:) its much better for them.

Unfortunately, there is no one device that tests everything that I know of. Drop tests are fun and easy though:) its cool to watch the water change colors when you add the drops. It's like a little science experiment! I highly reccomend the API master test kit:)

Until you can get a larger tank, I would suggest a 40 gallon sterlite plastic bin with a filter and an airstone, or 2 20 gallon ones:)

I want to point out that i am in Israel.

Just soak them and not let goldfish eat them? Should i use net to soak pellets in?

40 gallon hermetic plastic recycle bin? The volume usually is not specified. How would i transfer filter and airstone from current fishtank?

I want to point out that i am in Israel.

Just soak them and not let goldfish eat them? Should i use net to soak pellets in?

40 gallon hermetic plastic recycle bin? The volume usually is not specified. How would i transfer filter and airstone from current fishtank?

If they do not have the things i am suggesting in israel, you can always order them off of amazon.com :)

For the soaking, here's what you do:

Get a little plastic container, and fill it with a scoop of tank water. Put the flakes in the container, and let them sit in there for a minute, or until they sink. Then, dump them into your fish tank and feed them to the fishies!:) the soaking is so that they don't get any air in there mouths when they get the flakes, and so they don't expand inside the fish.

A 40 gallon recycle bin sounds fine (as long as it is 100% FOOD SAFE! Remember, food safe = fish safe!), but if there's anything wider you can find than that would be better:) more surface area = more room for oxygen exchange:) better for the fishies.

Just put the filter on the rim of the bin, and put the airstone inside like you would a tank:)

Edit- I just realized you said pellets, not flakes! Do the same soaking thing with pellets, just for 30 seconds rather than a minute. :)

Edit- I just realized you said pellets, not flakes! Do the same soaking thing with pellets, just for 30 seconds rather than a minute. :)

Not vise versa? Pellets take a lot of time to sink while flakes take under 10 seconds. Guys, in the following additional video you can see that Fluffy tries to retain level:

There are time when you really can see Fluffy getting pulled up fast, sometimes his tail is pulled. Strange...

Edited by musterbeard

Note: This was started as a new topic but merged into the previous as they involve similar issues. (Chrissy_Bee)

Hello, i am kind of a new fishkeeper because i have got aquarium with 2 goldfish from relative and do not meticulously observe everything and even do not measure water. I just do basic stuff. Here is a picture of aquarium and all of the information i have:

• 4.7 gals since middle 2011 when i got aquarium
  • JEBO water filter
  • Until yesterday 2 time a week 90% of volume, from yesterday will change 3 times a week, 50%
  • Today last water change, 50%
  • 2 goldfish of small size i guess
  • No water additives, only dechlorinator
  • Flakes in the morning, pellets in the evening
  • No new fish ever
  • No medications so far
  • Maybe one has little frayed spot on one side

Recently i have observed Buffy staying/lying/resting on the bottom and giving response with eyes after over 7 seconds and then starting hovering and swimming. She eats however and is excited seeing me as well. Maybe she just finally adapted in aquarium or when simply tired decends on the bottom? When i started shooting video, Buffy (behind Fluffy) responded after several seconds, but prior just kept staying/lying/resting on the bottom:

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Cute fishies :) but that tank is awfully small, I'd imagine toxins build up very quickly. :( You might need to look into daily water changes since the volume is super tiny.

I think it will be difficult for people to give advice without knowing the chemical readings. :(

Hi! I'm sorry your fish is not doing well. :(

As ninzah said, your tank is unfortunately much too small for your two goldfish. How long has this tank been running?

It's recommended that goldies have a minimum 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each fish after that, for single tails like you have, typically 20 gallons a piece is recommended. Goldfish produce a lot of waste, so in a small aquarium with little water volume these toxins build up very fast, resulting in illness and potentially death. Additionally, goldfish can grow very large (10-14 inches for single tailed fish like yours), keeping them in a tank that is too small will stunt their growth and lead to health problems down the road. If you are unable to buy a new tank right now you can use a large plastic food safe storage bin with a filter and airstone temporarily.

Water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph are really important in getting to the bottom of what is affecting your fish.

If you do not currently have a test kit I would highly recommend getting a drop test kit (the API master test kit is excellent and comes with everything you need), get drops not strips, they are more accurate and will last you longer. A test kit is a really important tool in keeping your fish healthy and alive. If you are absolutely unable to get a test kit you can take a sample of your water to your local fish store to be tested :) Please write down the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph and let us know what they are (don't let the store just tell you the water is fine, ask for the numbers ;) )

Edited by tithra

No, actually sinking pellets are much better for them. flakes have close to no nutritional value. :(

For the floatiness, have you tried feeding shelled, cooked, peas? :) if not, I can tell you how. :)

Oh! I misread that. You soak the flakes for longer so there isn't any air in them. The pellets sink right away if you drop it from high up or underwater :)

No, actually sinking pellets are much better for them. flakes have close to no nutritional value. :(

For the floatiness, have you tried feeding shelled, cooked, peas? :) if not, I can tell you how. :)

Not shelled cooked peas. I give them squeezed peas after thawing peas. 1 day fastening a week is also should be done i was told.

What is single tailed fish? I did not know fish can have more than 1 tail.

API test kit is described a kit capable of 800 tests. How often should i test water?

The majority of goldfish breeds are so called "fancy goldfish" that grow shorter, and have a double tail like here http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/NFI2208.jpg

Maybe it is different in your country, I know that many of these fancy breeds are rare or even illegal in some country, for example in Switzerland. :)

The fish you have, are "single tailed goldfish".

The API Test kit: Test your water and write down the parameters. Ammonia and Nitrite should always be 0. Nitrate should always be below 20. The pH should ideally be somewhere between 7.0 and 8.0, but it is most important that it is stable. Having fluctuation is stressful for every fish.

Since you are new to testing and knowing your parameters, I would for now recommend to test your water daily (especially in the tiny tank) to learn how fast the toxins build up in your tank and if your pH is stable. Once you figured it all out and have the water parameters under control, testing weekly is fine.

But you will definitely need a larger container for them. This will make things much easier on the long run. Having more water volume means the toxins build up slower, which will keep your fish much healthier :)

Last but not least, do you have any kind of aeration for the fish? A small water volume like this will run out of oxygen very quickly, so you will need lots of surface agitation to oxygenate the water :)

I've merged this topic with your previous as the issues you are seeing are all related.

It's really crucial that you test your water, as has already been stated, and that you get a larger tank.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Last but not least, do you have any kind of aeration for the fish? A small water volume like this will run out of oxygen very quickly, so you will need lots of surface agitation to oxygenate the water :)

I have an electric air pump.

I see you have photos holding fishes. Isn't it dangerous to hold them out of water? They need oxygen.

I've merged this topic with your previous as the issues you are seeing are all related.

It's really crucial that you test your water, as has already been stated, and that you get a larger tank.

May i know why i cannot subscribe to my topics or track my content through Control Panel?