Otos are flammable

number20121

oto02071212.jpg

Get it? Get it? Haha I have the humor of a seven year old kid. :rofl

Anyway, here are some pics of the planted tank and the otos. I noticed that the majority of my plants had stopped growing. I blame a lack of nutrients for this. Do I not have enough fish to fertilize the plants in there?? I feel like this tank is overly full with fish oO Or maybe not?

The anacharis is growing like weed, and the vals keep throwing out runners. The giant hygro is getting taller, but the leaves are very pale, and the bottom leaves are getting holes. The brazilian pennywort and bacopa don't seem to grow much at all and even the onion plants, which were growing at the speed of light, seem to have almost stopped growing. The crypt is getting bigger, but not taller. Just wider (like my cat).

And when I look at how Lucerne's ulvaceus is growing, mine look really sad in comparison.

I bought some Seachem Flourish a week ago, and followed ashlee's DIY CO2 system, hopefully this will boost the plants a bit. They also got a 40watt desk lamp shine in the middle of the tank during the day, since I currently cannot get a double light fixture for the tank. So now they get about 1.5watt per gallon.

Someone keeps uprooting my anacharis. I stopped replanting them. I will just let them float, and hope that closer to the surface/light they will grow faster, so I can replant a whole forest some time :D

The otos freak me out. Half the time I cannot find a single one and am getting upset over their death, and all of a sudden all of them at once appear right in front of my face. They are so cute :3

Oto02071201.jpg

That up there is my really sad amazon sword. All my swords ever looked like that. It is alive, but not doing well. It just floats there anymore, and the smaller fish like playing hide and seek in it

oto02071206.jpg

oto02071205.jpg

Epic camouflage fail

oto02071204.jpg

oto02071203.jpg

oto02071202.jpg

oto02071211.jpg

I like this photo. When resizing I noticed that one of the otos is right there on the driftwood

oto02071210.jpg

Sucky Fishie in front of his cave

oto02071208.jpg

He doesn't fit in it anymore though LOL See his tail sticking out at the back

oto02071209.jpg

And one more nice oto closeup

oto02071207.jpg

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I think it looks pretty good--lovely tank. :) I am having plant issues, too, and totally ignorant--but I can speak to the swords. They get their nutrients through their roots/substrate, so they need to be planted and some kind of supplement in the gravel should help. Can you get those plant sinker things, the one that are lead ties to wrap around the roots? They help keep mine down amidst busy uprooting goldish. :)

I think it looks pretty good--lovely tank. :) I am having plant issues, too, and totally ignorant--but I can speak to the swords. They get their nutrients through their roots/substrate, so they need to be planted and some kind of supplement in the gravel should help. Can you get those plant sinker things, the one that are lead ties to wrap around the roots? They help keep mine down amidst busy uprooting goldish. :)

I had them planted for the longest time, and they didn't look any better. I think they need more light too, but I could try getting these fertilizer tabs and put one right under the sword in the gravel. I just gave up on the swords that's why I let them float for the fish :D

It looks great fang. Im glad the otos are doing alright in there.

Have you tried using some liquid fert in there or as you mention adding some of those clay fertiliser balls that you push into the substrate? It could help to prolong the growth.

Id bet you anything its the corys uprooting the plants haha.

It looks great fang. Im glad the otos are doing alright in there.

Have you tried using some liquid fert in there or as you mention adding some of those clay fertiliser balls that you push into the substrate? It could help to prolong the growth.

Id bet you anything its the corys uprooting the plants haha.

Sometimes I add Flourish Excel, I think it helps.

As for freaking out over dead ottos....I wrote about the same thing in my blog awhile back. I had 3 of them, but after I moved could only find 2. I assumed the stress of the move killed the third. Months went by (mabye even a year) and then one day.....3 of them!!!! I guess I had just never seen them as a group up to that point :rofl

The whole tank looks great! My crypts never grew very tall either but wide as well. I don't think swords are high light plants. I have 4 in the goldie tank, with one watt per gallon, and they are all huge. I did try the root tabs with them a while back but the goldies thought they were too delicious to share with the plants.

How are the otos doing with the algae? I might get 2 or 4 more since there is algae all over my tank and it is starting to take over the front glass. It is green algae too.

How are the otos doing with the algae? I might get 2 or 4 more since there is algae all over my tank and it is starting to take over the front glass. It is green algae too.

:0 oh man i can already guess on how fat your otos are xD, i know from my fiances tank (really bad green algae in a ten gallon) two of these little guys ate it up spotless.

You have such a nice variety of plants and the tank looks great. I agree with the idea of root tabs for the swords. That helped mine a lot. I'm sure that the excel and more light will perk things up as well.

I just had one thought - are you doing twice weekly water changes on this tank like you do with the goldies? Maybe it's too clean and the plants don't get enough fish waste?