Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

Cross-bred eggs! Despite my efforts in prevention.

Yesterday it was my 2 female ryukins I had to seperate into a bucket because they were getting harrased too much. Today it was the 2 female telescopes. So I tried to put in a tank divider and oops, grabbed one only up to a 55 gallon (I've got a 75g).

Went to home de*ot and grabbed some meshing and jimmied a *ghetto* tank divider. Even though Charlie (female telescope) kept getting big time chased by the fellows, she somehow kept escaping female quarantine and went after the boys. After a couple hours trying to figure out how, I still couldn't figure because she only escaped when I got coffee or wasn't looking for a split second. I finally gave up and just let them spawn.

Putting them aside into a bucket and just let the calico shubie Xander who was way too interested in Charlie have at her. Had to do a little hand spawning just to make sure they were done with it and weren't gonna chase her anymore.

Now I've got way more eggs than I know what to do with and have to put them aside into the nursery tank that I was in the middle of taking care of. Jeesh! Wont these fishies lemme have a single day without fussing over them?

Recent water change too. I tried soooo hard to keep the temperature the same. Here in town it's sunny andd beautiful outside. The wind is pretty cold but the heat is cranked up in the house so the fish are getting an artificial spring. Not much I can do about it now. Hopefully they'll give me a break and figure out what to do with the fry before spawning again.

:oops:

It'll be really interresting what they turn out like. Will they have single tails, double tails, flat eyes, bubbly eyes, long or short bodies? Only time will tell.

Anyone have experience with these cross-breeds? I've also got 8 fry from a female ryukin and male shubunkin or telescope. Don't know about that because I woke up to find the eggs that time. :krazy:

Oh and I think the giant full moon had something to do with it. Today in another tank, my little green male swordtail had a giant growthspurt.

Sounds like a neat cross--would love to see how they turn out--pix asap. :)

I know what you mean about the weather--I live just south of Portland. It's 46F out at this hour. We've got daffodils and tulips way up already. At this rate the fruit trees will blossum early and then we have to hope it won't freeze again and kill the flowers--but it ususally does!

oh! congratulations *again* :rofl

awesome it will be interesting to see what comes out. I can't wait to see.

Oerba, Ooh single tail telescope. That's neat. I learned last night that this breed is not exactly genetic diversity. Read somewhere that shubunkins were originally made by crossing the classic old standard goldfish with a telescope. So... it's almost like inbreeding I suppose. I personally LOVE the double fan tails so my fingers are crossed that I get a few of them.

Kristi, I've got a few bulbs already popping up. Fortunatly they're protected from frost & wind but last year that early spring then frost month was havock on the plants here.

Stakos, thanks! :)

I'll post pictures as soon as my camera gets fixed.

Well that was dumb. Turns out the fish I thought was the daddy is a female! So alas no eggs were fertilized that round.