Sign in to follow this  
Pontosfan

Wen growth.

WHat's the best food for wen growth? I'm currently Using Hikari Lionhead (or Hikari Ranchu if you read Japanese).

Edited by Pontosfan

Thats what Iv'e been using. My oranda has grown fairly large in a short amount of time while using this feed. When I got her she was verrrrrry small.

Not much effect on the wen growth though...

The Hikari food is great. Try frozen blood worms a few times a week, as well. There are two things to keep in mind: 1) with some wen fish, the wen won't take off and grow until they are about 2-3 years old, no matter what you do. This is actually good, because then they spend the first few years of their lives dedicating nutrient resources into growing their bodies. 2) Some fish will not have a very big wen. This is a matter of genetics, and food may help a little, but will not be able to overcome the heredity.

I was torn between buying the Hikari Lionhead and the Saki Hikari purple because I have a mix of breeds so I wasn't sure what would be best. I ended up getting the Saki Hikari because I've heard great things about what it does for the colour... will my oranda still get decent wen growth on this food?

Wen growth is influenced by a variety of factors and genetics will play a big role ;) but a diet rich in protein should help along wen growth. Frozen bloodworms are a good addition to add protein to the diet.

The hikari lionhead (or any good quality pellet with good protein) should work just fine :)

EDIT: posted at the same time as others :P

Edited by tithra

I was torn between buying the Hikari Lionhead and the Saki Hikari purple because I have a mix of breeds so I wasn't sure what would be best. I ended up getting the Saki Hikari because I've heard great things about what it does for the colour... will my oranda still get decent wen growth on this food?

The Saki Hikari is just as good, if not better! I like that it has probiotics. I am a big proponent of feeding your fish food containing probiotics :)

The Saki Hikari is just as good, if not better! I like that it has probiotics. I am a big proponent of feeding your fish food containing probiotics :)

aw excellent! I was worried about my chocolate oranda not getting enough proteins because apparently everywhere around here ran out of bloodworms the past week haha.

I've seen frozen blood worms mentioned, but wouldn't live one be better? Or does the freezing do something to the worms?

I seem to remember that live food can carry nasties that will get into the fish/aquarium, and something about the way they freeze them kills them off. if you're going live food then it's probably better you raise them yourself (like brine shrimp) so you know exactly where they've been, where they're from etc.

I feed my fish live food once a week and as far as I'm aware it's never lead to any problems. Hmmm. :\

well yeah obviously they don't all carry nasties, it's just that they have the possibility of bringing nasties with them when introduced to your tank.

Live bloodworms are the biggest risk to your fish. Also tubiflex (sp) worms.

out of curiosity, why are bloodworms and tubifex worms more likely to carry anything rather than say daphnia or brine shrimp? also, what is it exactly that they carry? sorry for the thread hijack, Pontosfan! I'm just genuinely curious. :)

out of curiosity, why are bloodworms and tubifex worms more likely to carry anything rather than say daphnia or brine shrimp? also, what is it exactly that they carry? sorry for the thread hijack, Pontosfan! I'm just genuinely curious. :)

It's quite alright, I'd like to know as well.