Sign in to follow this  
npila1

Occasional bottom sitting

• * Ammonia Level 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level <5 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8, Kh=110 ppm, GH=190 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2-7.4, 35, 35
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * Water temperature? 70
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons (this is a temporary/quarantine tank - 1 week but used media from main tank)
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? aquaclear 70 (300 gph)
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 3 days, 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 4 inches each
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, omega pellets, peas, veggie rounds (omega one)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? prazipro
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. prazipro
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? staying on the bottom for brief period of time

I'm worried :( Twinkle has been bottom sitting for short periods of time the last 2 days. It started after I saw what I thought was diarrhea (2 days ago). There were a lot of tiny pieces of poop in the tank. I fed peas and then some probiotics hoping it would help. I have not seen her poop (good or bad poop) since then, but I have not seen the tiny pieces of poop again either. She has great appetite and is active for most of the time, but once or twice a day, she will go sit in the corner for a few minutes, and then get up again and start swimming around. Could this be related to some kind of digestive problem or is it something else?

I'm confused, so you have two of your fish in QT/hospital tank?

I'm confused, so you have two of your fish in QT/hospital tank?

Yes I do - they were both in the main tank. I moved them to this smaller tank, so that I could bleach and pp the main tank (to get rid of persistent flukes). I'm almost done sterilizing the main tank and was planning to move them back next week. Sparkle (the other fish in the tank) is very active and behaving normally.

I should have also mentioned that I saw a long thin white poop in the tank yesterday but thought it was stress poop.

Edited by npila1

would you consider fasting them for a day and then feeding them nothing but peas 3 times on the following day to see if that will help resolve the issue? i recall about 6-8 months ago? there was a heavy flukes infestation? has that not cleared up as yet?

would you consider fasting them for a day and then feeding them nothing but peas 3 times on the following day to see if that will help resolve the issue? i recall about 6-8 months ago? there was a heavy flukes infestation? has that not cleared up as yet?

To make a long story short, I have been treating for flukes for the past 1.5 year - they go away for a while and then they come back (thus the bleaching and sterilizing of the main tank in hopes of getting rid of them for good).

Yes, I can fast them for a day and then give them peas. I wasn't sure if giving veggies would help with diarrhea, but I'll try that. She had diarrhea again this morning (I just woke up and saw the tiny poops everywhere).

i think it's more inconsistancy of poops rather than diarreah.. and that could just mean an irritated tract. peas could help, i think it's worth a try.. are you able to post a pic of it?

i think we could be looking at constipation problems if that's all the poop they're putting out. i think the fast and then followed by peas is a good start for them.

i think we could be looking at constipation problems if that's all the poop they're putting out. i think the fast and then followed by peas is a good start for them.

Thanks, I will do that. Sparkle still has normal poop (short and chunky), but I will fast and give peas to both of them just in case.

Does constipation cause bottom sitting?

Edited by npila1

Update: I did the fasting and I'm feeding peas today. When I woke up in the morning I saw the same kind of small poop again all over the bottom of the tank.

She seems to be doing worse. :( She has been sitting more and more often and for longer (she used to sit for a few seconds at a time, but now she will sit for several minutes or half an hour at a time).

Could this be an internal bacterial (or parasitic) infection?