Sign in to follow this  
Devo

Moss wall to moss carpet?

Hey all,

I currently have a moss wall going to town in my aquarium. However, it looks really dark and foreboding. I was wondering if it would be possible to convert my wall into a carpet for the bottom of the aquarium?

Currently, the moss is wedged btwn two pieces of netting. Moss grows mainly out of one side, and the back is secured with suction cups. I thought I could suction it to the floor, but then how would I vaccuum every week? Would the moss handle it, or would I have to take it out every week to clean?

Has anyone tried this, or does anyone have thoughts? I'd like to see more verticality in my aquarium, and give more for my fish to swim/navigate through. So any ideas would be awesome :)

Thanks!

-Devo

oh my gosh! I have been trying to grow a moss wall for the last 6 months... I am on my second one now, I would love to see a picture of it!

I don't see why this wouldn't work, as long as you picked up regularly to make sure there was no debris accumulating under it (and I probably wouldn't keep gravel under it), I'm not sure if it could handle the gravel vac or not... seems like that might be too much suction, but who knows. it would look cool with flame moss which naturally grows straight up :)

6849689293_bf8e15ddb1.jpg

Here is my current set up. The moss is showing through netting/screen (for lack of better words) and is suction cupped to the back wall. As you can see it's getting rather long, and for myself, it's kinda dark and dreary... having this jungle green moss all the time. So I thought changing it to carpet might be nicer for the GF... but don't want to make it a toxic dump by allowing things to get trapped underneath.

sooo yeah... not sure what to do :S

-Devo

I love it! Have you ever tried trimming it up? I think it is beautiful :)

try it? you could always stick it back onto the wall.. i plan to do this with my new 180 tank and have a java moss carpet, plan is to put a small layer of gravel underneath and on top with the java moss sort of sandwiched in between( in the green netting stuff) the hope is to have it trapped in the green netting in such a way that the gravel cleaner wont suck it up and out.

Edited by dodge245

So how's it coming along over there? Have you tried a blanket of moss on the ground yet?

I just bought some moss today and am thinking of blending it with yogurt and painting a screen. Then let it grow for however long it needs to to fill in, then stick it in the tank.

I'm concerned with I think what you were worried about too. That toxic gas could get trapped under the moss 'carpet' and eventually bubbling up killing the fish. I overheard that once but I think it was just a theory and I don't know of any stories about this sort of experiment.

Can you post more pictures pretty please? :)

I would think in theory that if it were suctioned down, you could loosen the suctions and pick it up to clean under it at least once a month.