Look what a nerite snail can do to algae overnight!

ShawneeRiver

I went and bought one of these for each of my tanks tonight. I also threw a algea wafer in for them. If they get turned upside down, can they get turned back over? My goldies, nudged it and it flipped over. My daughter was freaked because she swore it would die, until I flipped it back over. Jaime

huh, I think they can die by being turned upside down? one of mine got nudged off a rock at some point, so I had to right him again (I think having barebottom meant he had nothing to cling to, to right himself?), but then it happened again and by the time I noticed that time, he stank. :(

hmm may have to get a few of these, loads of green algae in my tank its starting to make the whole back of the tank a nice green. just for anyone thinking of getting one how much water space do these guys need?

I read that when they flip on their backs, something is awry with them. They're sick or something is going on in the tank that is adversely affecting them. I do not know if that is always the case, but in my own experience, one of my zebra nerites did this after I put a big dose of excel in the tank. I flipped him rightside up a few times and he flipped himself over again. So I took him out and put him in another tank, and he stopped flipping. Then, I researched and learned excel (in the bigger doses--I do still use a light dose once or twice a week) was not a good thing for them. So, I concluded that he was flipping because he was being made ill. I also had one bury himself in the sand when I added excel (before I learned that nerites cannot tolerate excel well) Fortunately, I took him out, too!

That's interesting. I have been using Excel recently, and I will keep that in mind. I don't use high doses.

I haven't really seen them flip -- I've seen them fall during WCs and land on their shells. At first I worried and tried to flip them, but now I see that they will right themselves. During WCs, they tend to seal themselves, so my putting them on plants or the ornament or wherever doesn't work. :blink:

I just saw snails just like that at the lfs and would love one for my tank but I don't have any algae, or at least none that I can see (no light on the tank yet).

Very cool looking snail.

I got the two small ones without horns at Bluefish. They look just like that one in the picture, only no horns. :)