Look what a nerite snail can do to algae overnight!

ShawneeRiver

Hey guys! I thought this was pretty interesting. I got a nerite snail a few days ago to help out with the algae that is overrunning my tank. I placed it in the vase (that I got Acro -- thanks again!). You can see how thick the algae has gotten on it and the clear path that the snail made -- in one night!!! It was on the vase for maybe 12 hours, and then it moseyed to another part of the tank. I put it back on the vase today during a WC. Eat, little dude, eat!

6814177309_4ec65f7dcb_b.jpg

I got the nerite because I've read that they are pretty much the only snail that will eat all the algae and because they won't reproduce unless they are in brackish conditions. I also got a horned nerite for each of my smaller tanks. They are mowing a path through the green also but not nearly as quickly. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Shawnee, any signs that they are eating the algae on the plants? That's what I need.

Love the little guys. Thanks for sharing!

mj

I think that they are supposed to eat everything EXCEPT the blue green algae, which isn't a true algae.

Also, to be clear, this is NOT a horned nerite. They are smaller, and mj, they are supposed to be small enough to eat the algae off plant leaves. I'm hoping they do in the little tanks. :)

Oh he is like Muddy Waters! Except MD has thinner stripes!

Maybe this one has fatter stripes because it's eating so much. :rofl

Hi, guys! How many of these babies would you put in a 55 gallon to help keep it clean? Do they clean the plants too?

The woman at the lfs said one in the 55 would be enough. She said they can eat a lot and run out of food. The bigger one will eat off the leaves, but it would be too big to climb on delicate leaves. The smaller horned nerites supposedly will climb through the leaves and eat algae. :)

• 3 weeks later...

That's amazing. I got a couple of nerites just like yours yesterday. They just don't look real do they! Hope mine are as good on my plants as they are on your vase. So far they seem reluctant to clean anything but the glass.

Cool! Good luck, Amy!

Even my small ones haven't done much with the plants. But there's so much on the glass that they don't need to go to the plants. I like having my light on all day, but it's creating serious thick algae. I guess I need to turn it off for awhile. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Tank looks great! Thankfully I don't have an algae problem in my 10G,even though the light is on from when I wake up to when I go to bed,so maybe like 15-18 hours,and it's sitting in the light path of the one huge window. in my room. =/ Baffling,really.Especially since my mother's little tank,I think it's a 6-7G,is currently in the process of being overrun with algae,and it gets less light than mine. But her's is cute,it's like she's got grass growing in the gravel!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I got a new light awhile back, and it was creating crazy algae growth in my tank. By the end of a week, I could barely see the fish.

But the snails loved it, and here is the proof. Check out the snail dinner paths!

6838983926_62a7c8ab18_z.jpg

After they eat a lot, they go into food comas and bury themselves in the sand for a while. This little guy is working on a food coma.

6985105599_c88d2b8e6f_b.jpg

"Help us! We can't see any pellets coming!"

6985105833_2fa7e3c6a9_b.jpg

They can eat an incredible amount. This is the front of a 55 gallon tank!

6838984558_bc6a183843_b.jpg

Oh! I love the little snail trails. I'm definitely going to get some after I move the tank.