Sign in to follow this  
Monkey87

BLOODY TAIL from end to end...

Hello everybody... i was wondering if you can help me find out what is wrong with one of my blue orandas... i just noticed that he has bloody streaks all through his tail... it is not torn or damaged.. and he isnt acting weird and he is eating fine.. i have a total of 4 goldfish.. and he is the ONLY one with the bloody streaks on his tail... what should i do?? i did %25 percent water change yesterday afternoon.. and i just did a half dose of aquarium salt and lights out cuz it is nighttime here in toronto. i will wait and see whats going on tomorrow.. but i need your guys help!!! currently my "hospital" tank is being used to quarantine some guppies at the moment.. so i cant really take him out... what do i do.. PERFECT TIMING HUH???

will check ammo,nitrite and nitrate and ph tmrw... but last checked10 days ago and was ammo:0 nitrite:0 nitrate 10ppm ph tank and tap 7.6 with API master test kit, water temp? ROOM.. 46 gallon bowfront... i have a marineland c360 canister and a penguin 150 bio wheel filter. i usually do 25% PWC every 3rd day. last water change was yesterday. 2 ryukins and 2 orandas. i use a bio- support and water condtioner for the water after every PWC. i feed the fish omega 1 flakes in the morning then peas for lunch and then either new life spectrum 1mm pellets or flakes again.. ALL FISH including the one in question are acting FINE... normal

When you post the new water stats we'll be able to help more. :) But one thing I noticed is you said the water was room temp. How hot is your room? In my apartment this winter my tank temps shoot right up to 82 degrees. This always tends to take the oxygen levels right down in the water and can sometimes cause the red streaks. I fixed that by adding lots of bubble wands in the tanks. It might be worth checking until you can test your water.

i did new water tests... my ammonia is 0.. nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 20ppm my water ph is 8.0 anything wrong with such high ph??

Great...do you mind just filling in the answers to the questions below so that we have a better idea of what is going on and how to proceed? Thank you for doing the tests.

In addition to those questions, I have a few additional ones. Do you have gravel? How thick? Hollow ornaments? Does the fish sleep/rest on or near the floor? Is the red streaking limited to the tail (caudal) fins or is it in other fins as well? Is there any chance of pics/vid of this?

To answer your question, a stable pH of 8 is perfect. The key is that it needs to be stable (buffered) and not prone to fluctuations.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Great...do you mind just filling in the answers to the questions below so that we have a better idea of what is going on and how to proceed? Thank you for doing the tests.

In addition to those questions, I have a few additional ones. Do you have gravel? How thick? Hollow ornaments? Does the fish sleep/rest on or near the floor? Is the red streaking limited to the tail (caudal) fins or is it in other fins as well? Is there any chance of pics/vid of this?

To answer your question, a stable pH of 8 is perfect. The key is that it needs to be stable (buffered) and not prone to fluctuations.

• * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

i have all the answers to these question above... second post... except for .. no new fish added... no new meds to tank.. i finished ICK treatment about 2 months ago.. for about a week.. ///// i do gravel with water change every 3rd day/....about 2 inches.. no hollow oranments.. just driftwood and various live plants// at night he may sleep on the floor.. but not every night.. and the blood streak are only on his tail! no pics or vids ... sorry..

• * Ammonia Level// 0
  • * Nitrite Level//0
  • * Nitrate level// 20ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) // 8.0
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)//8.0
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?//api master
  • * Water temperature?// 72
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?// 46gallon bowfrot..running for about 3 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? //2 filters... 1 marineland canister c360 and 1 marineland penguin 150 w/ bio wheel
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?// change water with gravel vacs every 3rd day about 25% each time

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? //last water change tues.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?// 2 ryukins 1.5 - 2.0 inches and 2 orandas 2.0 - 2.5 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? //bio support and aqua plus water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? omega 1 flakes in morning, peas at lunch and flakes or pellets before lights out..
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?// no new fish
  • * Any medications added to the tank?//

Sorry, but I have even more questions lol. When was the last time you rinsed out your filter media? For now, my suggestions is to up your water changes a bit more. You are right at the stocking recommendation for that size tank, and at that stocking level, we recommend either a once weekly 80% WC or even more often. Until the redness goes away, I would recommend doing 80% WCs every 3-4 days. Just make sure that the tap & tank pH and temp are matched.

YIKES!!! 80%?!?! wouldnt i throw of the cycle?? or cause a mini cycle?? that seems like alot of good stuff being taken out... but i guess i will try it... HE IS THE ONLY ONE with the problems..?? but i guess if u think 80% a week is ok.. then.. i could try... i already do about 50 - 60% a week... but i guess i could go up a bit..

thanks!

i rinsed out filter media last week... i do that maybe once or 2 times a month

hold on.. i just RE READ what u wrote... that cant be right.. so bascially a 160% water change every week?!?!?!? :o

YIKES!!! 80%?!?! wouldnt i throw of the cycle?? or cause a mini cycle?? that seems like alot of good stuff being taken out... but i guess i will try it... HE IS THE ONLY ONE with the problems..?? but i guess if u think 80% a week is ok.. then.. i could try... i already do about 50 - 60% a week... but i guess i could go up a bit..

thanks!

The great bulk of the beneficial cycle bacteria that break down nitrogenous wastes are not free floating, but rather they colonize surfaces where there is abundant oxygen. As such, you will find most in your filter media, especially in objects with a lot of surface areas such as bio-media. There will also be some in the top 1/4 inch layer of the gravel, although not as much as in the filter media. You can do daily large water changes without really harming your cycle.

I've been doing 80-90% WCs on my tanks every 4-5 days for quite a long time now, without damaging the cycle :)

hold on.. i just RE READ what u wrote... that cant be right.. so bascially a 160% water change every week?!?!?!? :o

It's not 160%, since water changes are not additive like that. For example, 10% WC for 10 days does not equal 100% WC in terms of waste removal. Also, fresh new clean water is the best tonic for any fish, and that's why I suggested an increase in the WCs

Edited by dnalex

ok cool!! i will give it a try then! :)

thank you.. starting tomorrow.. time to go to bed.... i hope it works.. i will post again in a bit.. i hope to see u respond.. if not.. then thx alot! :)

LOL. Good luck!

I, and others, will definitely respond.

I would recommend the big water changes just like alex stated. I have a few fish that if the nitrate hits 20ppm they will start getting streaky. As soon as i do i huge water change they will be clear again. Its kinda weird but a few fish are "indicators" as to the water quality. I can always tell if something is wrong by watching these fish. The good news is the streaking fins are rarely contagious. I would do a few big water changes over the next couple of days and see what happens. Keep us updated on the condition of the fish please. If something starts to get worse it may need meds.

Agreed. I know plenty of fish bothered by 20ppm nitrate. My tap comes out with 10ppm and I try not to let it rise above that (I have a lot of plants so it keeps it at essentially zero). I think you will see a huge improvement with the extra water changes.

hey guys... UPDATE!!!!!!!!! i did a big water change just now.... about 40-45%... my fish are now VERY STRESSED and just sitting at the bottom under a piece of driftwood. im not saying you guys gave me bad advice... but what do i do now?? and the fish with the red streaking on his tail seems alot brighter red and more red now!!! :S help!!!do i wait and see or....?!?!?

OK. There are a couple of options. The first is to get a medicated food from Goldfishconnection.com called Medi-Gold. MG has kanamycin, which I think is much better for these types of infections.

Alternately, if you could see if your LFS/LPS has Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus, or Maracyn 2. All should say on the box that they are to treat septicemia.

I'm sorry things have taken a turn for the worse. I would have been irresponsible had I jumped to a medication suggestion first, without eliminating the possibility of water quality issues bring the cause. If you could get those meds, I think that would be great. Thanks.

In the mean time, you could salt the tank to 0.1%. There is a link in my sig on what salt and how-to.

Hang in there!

Im sorry your fish got worse, but Alex is right. Normally the first thing is to make sure the water isnt causing the problem. Medications sometime can cause more harm than good.

Now that we can see its Septia, Medication is needed :thumb:

well... i dont know... im just gonna keep doing my bigger percent water changes like today... all the fish ended up perking up after being sressed out for a couple hours after the bigger than normal water change.. (is this normal, after soo long of hiding)??? the oranda with the bloody streaks seems to be less bloodied... could that be from the aquarium salt? or large water change?? i dont know.. should i add more salt after next water change?? im wait and see before i treat for septicemia/// thanks for all your help.. ill keep you guys updated.. and maybe get a couple pics of my 4 lil guys! :)

I'm glad there is a turn around :)

Yes, continue to keep the salt at 0.1%. So, that means when you do a water change, you must replace the amount of salt taken out with the WC. Remember to always dissolve the salt before adding it to the tank.

As for large water changes being stressful, I don't think that this is really the case. It's more likely that they freaked out because the filters were turned off etc and their world just all the sudden turned quieter.

Just want to add to make certain you are using a good water conditioner as well...but I agree. It takes a bit of getting used to with the larger water changes. But my fish don't even notice now, even when I empty the tank so that the water level is just above their dorsals.

Can you get the Meds Alex Mentioned....?

ummm yeah my local fish store almost certainly carries it.. they have everything! all fish store.. but im happy to say that my fish has absolutely no red strreaks in his tail anymore! :) and when i get forum permission will certainly add pics so u can see my beautiful tank and fishes! :)

Great! I'm glad to hear that things have drastically improve. Keep up th excellent work, and do big water changes, as that alone will improve the quality of your fish's health! :)