wanna get a fancy but worry about my tank

I dont know if many of you rember but i had trouble with some very nasty bacterial epedemic in my 80 gallon about 6 months or so ago 4 fancies died one from dropsy one had a large open blister/wound and one had a bloody anal opening.

so i steralized the tank took it completly apart and steralized EVERYTHING this is how

filters and filter parts were soaked in bleach water (heavy on the bleach) over night then rinsed

sand was boiled for 20 minutes (let the water begin boiling then adding the sand then let it boil on high for 20 minutes for all the sand in rounds of 2 cups at a time took a few days)

airline was junked as were the bubble wands

filter media junked

drift wood pieces were quite tricky first i soaked them in tap water(chlorinated) over night then i attempted boiling them but it didnt work too well becuase they didnt fit in the pan so i poped them into the over at 250 degrees for 4 hours.

the tank i scrubbed all the sand out every little bit and useing straight bleach and paper towels and a spray bottle i washed it down throughly let it dry overnight then filled it with water and 3 gallons of bleach(its 80 gallons didnt know if 3 gallons of bleach would be enough or if it would be too diluted) and i let it soak over night

then i drained it all took clean paper towels and wiped it dry then let the tank sit empty for a week.

the tank lid and rim were also bleached with bleach water and let to sit for a week to dry

the rocks were boiled for 20 minutes each then were soaked in bleach water over night rinsed then soaked in clean tap water over night tap water removed the next morning and new added to soak again overnight (in case the rocks had absorbed any bleach)

then i re-started my cycle and my tank got 2 commons and 2 fancies all seemed quite healthy i salted them and after that was done the fancies were doing ok active,happy swimming around then one day boom they were bottom sitting very next day boom dead one however had a bloody red mark on its side i took to getting stuck to the filter.

so then i went and got a fantail very very active and no white spots,no fin issues nothing healthy looking it did great for about a week then one day boom out of the blue bottom sitting very next day boom it was dead with bloody streak around its mouth under the skin.

soooo i again re-steralized the tank(exactly the same as before) took the remainng 2 commons out (who are doing fantasticly btw) treated them with prazi pro and put them back into the once again cycled 80 gallon.

but i really want a fancy to put in a little oranda or a tele but i worry about it.

is there bacterial infections fancies can get but not commons?

should i chance brining another fancy in? do you think that bacteria could have survived all of that and affect the other fancies i had gotten?

any and all opinions would be very welcomed becase i worry my tank still has whatever it was that killed my fish fishies and i worry that even if i QT another fish and hes doing good that if i put it in this tank it will catch whatever and die.

Edited by xchairity_casex

hmm if you've gone through such effort to kill the previous bacteria, do you reckon it could just be the quality of the fancies you are buying? was the last one bought from the same place the previous four were from? where do you get them?

my first fancies came from a combo wally world/pet store one of which was 5 years old he came from wally world i bought him as a teeny little 1.95 goldy the second oldest was like 3 years old? he came from the pet store then the last two also came from wally world and were doing great it wasnt untill i moved them into my bf tanks and back that they caught somthing and shortly after coming home died.

then the latest fancies that died came from wally world but they looked very healthy and acted very healthy and i find it odd that two of them died of what looked suspiciously like bacterial infections.

It is really hard to say what happened. Sometimes new fish seem great for a few weeks and then boom, something happens. That is why QT is so important. It gives them time to get used to their new surroundings and that will often be the time that masked problems resurface. I think it is worth trying again and doing a good four week QT. If something happens after that, it may be your tank.

Common goldfish generally are hardier with better immune systems than fancies. Is there a possibility that the commons may be the host of the nasty but are remaining unaffected. The fancies however, with the inbreeding and genetic problems some types encounter may not be able to cope.

Just a thought.

I would try getting fancies from ANYWHERE but Walmart, they harbor so much disease and carry so many nasties from crappy care from both Walmart and the stocking company. Not to mention, the atrocities they partake in animal abuse in their fish aisle. Try going somewhere reputable, like a family owned pet store or a very well managed petsmart or petco

er did you check your PH and water levels before adding the fish? seems to me with all that bleach that there would still be bleach in the tank. i know that if you ever accidentally put dishes in a sink of that you are bleaching, you should never eat off them again....

Single tails are awesome, and maybe this is a sign that you need an 80G with Comets and Commons! Single tails are a blast!!

I agree with the above.....stop buying fish from Walmart.

Personally, I'd have thrown the sand away, and probably the driftwood too. I would have let the tank sit for maybe a week with the bleach water full to the rim, and put anything else I was keeping, in at the same time, including the filters. Or, for an 80, tossed the HOB's and gone with a pair of Fluval 305's.

er did you check your PH and water levels before adding the fish? seems to me with all that bleach that there would still be bleach in the tank. i know that if you ever accidentally put dishes in a sink of that you are bleaching, you should never eat off them again....

What? I've bleached dishes before, and never had an issue using them. Even using straight bleach, like bleaching coffee/tea stains out of white coffee mugs or tea cups, or a coffee maker, or even my vintage Melmac soup/cereal bowls. No problem at all. Plus,the OP can treat the tank with Prime to remove all chlorine taces.

Edited by austinado16

Neat bleach is added to drinking water in 3rd world countries to make is drinkable. A teaspoon of bleach will make 4 gallons of dirty water drinkable, i think bleached dishes would be fine. If the tank had been dechlorinated before the fish were added that shouldn't be the problem. Since you state that your tank had cycled there would have to be no bleach present.

Edited by alistairw

What? I've bleached dishes before, and never had an issue using them. Even using straight bleach, like bleaching coffee/tea stains out of white coffee mugs or tea cups, or a coffee maker, or even my vintage Melmac soup/cereal bowls. No problem at all. Plus,the OP can treat the tank with Prime to remove all chlorine taces.

:BTT I just have to add that of course you can eat off dishes that have been bleached. However, austinado, bleach is not good for dishes. Use it sparingly and make sure it's soaked out -- the bleach can get under the glaze and erode the ceramic. Collectors of vintage and antique dishes would never use bleach.

I've posted elsewhere and I will say again, there is no need to fear bleach. Bleach if bought in a pure form, i.e not splash less or scented, is only a special form of salt NaCl and Oxygen. When arranged in the form of NaOCl this substance is caustic and breaks down organic materials along with itself. Once it dries or has had sufficient time in water all that will be left is NaCl or salt because the O or oxygen has left the compound and thus renders it as benign salt. :D I love chemistry lol

I would have to agree with Alistair's suggestion that the single tails could be carrying something that the fancies can't handle. When I had my plant fiasco a few years ago, I had added them to both my single tail and fancy tanks, the single tails only acted a little "off" for a few days, then were fine but the fancies all died very quickly.

Haha, no ouch, I got lots of love for the single tails ;) Mine were beauties from the feeder tank, now moved on to a pond but I miss watching them swim. I was just agreeing that b/c they are so much stronger, it's a possibility that they're immune to something their new roomies can't handle :)