GRRR! Albino Cories!

OK, so I've had 6 of these fish over the lives of various tanks. I've housed them in everything from 5 to 20 gallons. Right now I have one Emerald cory who's made it to about 3" and one albino who is in a QT tank dying.

I have come to the conclusion that Albino cory cats are weaker than regular Emerald cory cats. Both my Emerald cory's grew large, my other one I bought at about 3" and it made it to 4" before it died. Every single Albino I've gotten lived for a few weeks to a few months.

Granted, one died in the Fluval from getting stuck, but the others have all just been fine one minute, then keeled over the next. I have not been able to keep them alive past 1.5"-2"

Maybe I just have a black thumb when it comes to albino ones, I don't know. I had it in the 10g with the Emerald and it was doing fine. I fed them at 2pm today and he was munching away at a pellet. I go out to do laundry and get dinner, come home about half an hour ago, and it's tipped over on it's side.

When I first put it in the tank it was swimming around all happy to be out of the Chi. Then it started schooling with the Emerald. Lovely, they were both happy to have a buddy again.

Argh. First I lose my gourami, then my guppy matriarch, then the other cory, 3 baby cichlids, and now this guy is dying. Is there a ful moon coming or something?

Hey TL,

I've had real good luck with my albino Corys. I have three right now, two of which are almost 2 yrs old. I was having some difficulties with some losses and after some research I believe my pH may have been fluctuating which they couldn't handle. Are you holding your pH at a constant 6.8-7.0? And what's your weekly percentage of water change? Parameters OK? Corys are hardy, the albinos are no exception in my experience. Hopefully we can help you. :thumb:

I've had good luck with mine as well, I have two that are at least 4 years old now. I've kept both albinos and bronze and have found no difference in their survival. Do you think it could be the supplier? Do you always get them from the same place?

I've been getting them from my work. I had gotten one from a local mom & pop fish store and that one didn't do very well either.

I found my last albino stuck inside the turtle cave, dead, yesterday. My pH is a pretty steady 8-8.2 and none of the other fish are having problems with it. The cichlids seem to be loving it, lol.

I've been keeping an eye on my emerald and it looks like it's doing fine. I had a mirror up for the betta for a few minutes and the emerald was staring into it the whole time, almost like it was looking for what was making the betta so mad.

I try to change the water about once a week, usually 25%. I think I got a hairline fracture in my lower shin, so I've slowed down on the water changes, they take a while to do now since I can't carry too much weight.

TL,

I definitely would look at adjusting your pH levels. Corys don't do well in an alkaline environment.

The native environment for Corydoras is slow-moving streams where the water is shallow, clear, soft and neutral or slightly acidic. Keep the pH-value in slightly below 7 and strive for 5-10 degrees of hardness. Some Corydoras species do not cope well with salt, so you must research you particular species before you use salt as medication. Corys are quite hardy and adaptable, but they are sensitive to high levels of nitrate since this makes them susceptible to barbell infections.

Edited by blackteles