Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

Is she off the antiparasite food? It may be that she needs a continuous course, instead of the de-worming schedule. Hopefully caitie will check in soon to give you her opinion.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about Bernie, nothing seems abnormal. Is he still acting off and bottom sitting?

About Gabby, it is normal that the lump might reappear, but it shouldn't get as big as the last time. Is she still active? I would just go on with the 4 days on three days off for now. The reason is that if the parasites have laid any eggs, then the 3 days off allows the eggs to hatch and the meds can then kill any new parasites. Let us know if she gets worse and then we can see what to do about it, but she seems to be reacting as she should to the meds. :)

Apparently my post from a few hours ago disappeared...?

Anywho, glad Bernie looks normal. He's been acting a little sluggish of late, he's going on the meds tonight. As for Gabby, I'm very pleased to hear it's normal for it to return. It's MUCH smaller than before, it's really tiny and hard to notice without looking, but it's there. Just hoping I get it knocked out. Here's a pic:

HPIM2898.jpg

Johnny, the forum had a little technical difficulty earlier, resulting in a couple hours of posts being lost to the post monster. :o

Anyway, I'm glad things are getting more normal. As for the occasional bottom sitting, that will happen, especially when fish get older/bigger. It's like us needing a breather every so often. The key is that it's not often and in the absence of other symptoms.

So...problem. I've been feeding the AP twice a day, 9 pellets each time for each fish. Gabby's been floatie all day, must be constipated still from breakfast. I can't really feed her when she's like this and don't want to make her worse. Is it ok to skip the feeding? I'm due to stop Saturday morning, if I skip this should I extend treatment to Saturday night? I don't want to screw this up.

She did have the nine pellets this am right? Then if you are really worried about her being constipated you could skip tonights meal, but you must give it to her tomorrow. And don't extend the treatment. :)

Alrighty, so update of sorts. Just finished up round 2 for her, round 1 for Bernie, yesterday morning. She hasn't been bottom sitting really, but the food's been making her floaty (she gulps like a crackhead after eating). Both of them have been relatively energetic. I fed them peas last night, and they both got mildly floaty so I omitted their breakfast. Gabby, when she came down from her high, promptly bottom sat. Bernie also sat twice today when I was around, but not for long. Still freaks me out when he does that.

Anywho, they're both pooping, which is good. She does seem light today, and they're both a little weird. Also, she still seems a little mis-shapen, but I'm really not too sure how to take that.

I just really hope I'm treating them for the problem, and not just bandaiding it (concerned that her swelling decreased not due to killing parasites, but due to the anti-swelling agent in the food).

I'm glad they both have more energy. :) Alex is right, worms are hard to get rid of and you might be battling them for a while yet. As for the bottom sitting, don't be alarmed if they do it occasionally. One of my fish that had worm issues in the past still bottom sits several times a day. He has been worm free now for a long time and he is completely healthy but he seems to like resting every once in a while. Yet before he got worms he was always on the move, even at night I could see him swimming around. :unsure:

It's still weird to see Bernie bottom sitting, because he never did it in the 14 months I've had him. Freaks me out, but thank you, does make me feel a little better.

They're being odd today, just look a little tired. I got some more pictures of Gabby's bump, has definitely changed a little bit overnight.

HPIM2907.jpg

HPIM2909.jpg

If I had to describe it, I'd say it's more focused in a smaller area now. No idea what this means.