Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyonthespot

Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

I just saw the pic of her lump and it does look smaller. :) She may take a few days to a few weeks before she gets her energy back. It really depends on how badly infested she is, but it is a good sign that the lump is going down. Did you see her poop today? One of the things you want to watch is if you see any worms, they could be expelled dead or they might come out still alive. You'll want to do some really good gravel cleaning for the next little while.

Um...could we see her um, lump? :rofl

Lol, you'll need to clarify the seriousness of this.

I just saw the pic of her lump and it does look smaller. :) She may take a few days to a few weeks before she gets her energy back. It really depends on how badly infested she is, but it is a good sign that the lump is going down. Did you see her poop today? One of the things you want to watch is if you see any worms, they could be expelled dead or they might come out still alive. You'll want to do some really good gravel cleaning for the next little while.

Awesome. Yea, I figured it was inexact. I've actually seen her poop around 3 times today (very healthy looking, btw) and didn't see anything leaving. Should I definitely see them?

Side note, I've been making her eat 8-9 pieces, should that be enough?

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

I notice the lump looks smaller too. :) Sometimes when treated, and the parasites/worms die and fish is healing they will look worse for a bit. I notice this sometimes when treating a new fish with Prazi for flukes. Two of mine got a little sad looking and mopey for a few days. I think like us, being sick takes a lot out of them. Even when you start feeling better from the illness, your body still feels worn out from fighting. I think she will perk up soon. :)

8-9 pieces should be fine. :) You might not see the worms, they could be expelled in pieces in the stool. But if they did come out alive then yes you would see them and you would want to get them out of the tank.

I notice the lump looks smaller too. :) Sometimes when treated, and the parasites/worms die and fish is healing they will look worse for a bit. I notice this sometimes when treating a new fish with Prazi for flukes. Two of mine got a little sad looking and mopey for a few days. I think like us, being sick takes a lot out of them. Even when you start feeling better from the illness, your body still feels worn out from fighting. I think she will perk up soon. :)

That's great everyone thinks it's smaller. I mean I guess I can't guarantee it's 100% working because one ingredient is indeed for swelling, but it's definitely a positive. And ok, that makes a lot of sense. I've kind of rationalized it to myself like that, glad to see it get supported. I really hope she does.

8-9 pieces should be fine. :) You might not see the worms, they could be expelled in pieces in the stool. But if they did come out alive then yes you would see them and you would want to get them out of the tank.

Ok, thank you. How big would they be? Are they like the size of the normal nematodes (white squigly hair worms) or am I looking for something different? I see nematodes constantly in my tank.

If you are seeing nematodes in the tank then you are either overfeeding or not doing enough gravel vacumming. ;) But the worms we are thinking here would actually be a bit bigger, not as thin. They might be reddish in color too. Usually they won't be on the tank glass either but rather swimming in the water which distinguishes them from the usual planaria worms you say you have in the aquarium.

Can you capture these worms on camera? I want to make sure they are planaria and not others.

This is another reason to pull back on feeding a bit. You may also have to de-worm the entire tank with fenbendazole to get rid of the worms.

If you are seeing nematodes in the tank then you are either overfeeding or not doing enough gravel vacumming. ;) But the worms we are thinking here would actually be a bit bigger, not as thin. They might be reddish in color too. Usually they won't be on the tank glass either but rather swimming in the water which distinguishes them from the usual planaria worms you say you have in the aquarium.

Can you capture these worms on camera? I want to make sure they are planaria and not others.

This is another reason to pull back on feeding a bit. You may also have to de-worm the entire tank with fenbendazole to get rid of the worms.

Worm.jpg

You'll have to click it to see it all (possibly), but it's there. Best I could do. They just...swim around. They usually hide in the gravel but will occasionally wiggle around. Are these less harmless than I thought?

I LOVE that when we ask you for info or pics you get right on it! So dedicated to taking care of things...now! Very respectful to the people here helping you...not leaving us hanging. Very good quality...especially for a Lawyer. Kudos to you! :)

That does look like planaria worms. Not harmful....but a lot of them showing up is a sign of too much waste, uneaten food, etc in the tank....which leads to water quality issues (beyond what we test for)

Edited by Red

:exactly It looks like planaria to me but lets see what Alex thinks. I would def. start cutting back on my feeding tho. In the long run your fish will be much better off.

Well I'm certainly going to do my best to pull my weight, it's silly to expect help and not help yourself. These little guys mean a lot to me, and if you fine people are nice enough to help, I'd be a fool for making it more difficult. I guess I was just raised well haha, but thanks for the compliments! And maybe I can change your views on lawyers ;), we're not all bad although a large amount are horrible. I was actually told in an evaluation after an argument I was too happy and nice lol. Just the way I am.

:exactly It looks like planaria to me but lets see what Alex thinks. I would def. start cutting back on my feeding tho. In the long run your fish will be much better off.

Yea, I know I do. My main weakness so far has been an inability to gauge feeding sizes.

It looks like planaria to me but lets see what Alex thinks. I would def. start cutting back on my feeding tho. In the long run your fish will be much better off.

:exactly

It looks like planaria to me but lets see what Alex thinks. I would def. start cutting back on my feeding tho. In the long run your fish will be much better off.

:exactly

So they're ok (relatively speaking), right?

The planaria themselves are largely harmless. However, their presence indicates that your tank may have a very large organic load. I would follow caitie's recommendations of cutting way back on the feeding.

Think of it this way. Fish are cold-blooded. If you feed less, they grow less and perhaps will be less active. This will reduce the food for the planaria and essentially starve them out.

The planaria themselves are largely harmless. However, their presence indicates that your tank may have a very large organic load. I would follow caitie's recommendations of cutting way back on the feeding.

Think of it this way. Fish are cold-blooded. If you feed less, they grow less and perhaps will be less active. This will reduce the food for the planaria and essentially starve them out.

Makes sense. I'll definitely be reducing the feedings so it's not a concern.

She was just attacking the filter for algae, made my day :) Took this picture of the lump, from the less prominent side, best I could do since she's rarely up:

HPIM2868.jpg

....And maybe I can change your views on lawyers ;), we're not all bad although a large amount are horrible. I was actually told in an evaluation after an argument I was too happy and nice lol. Just the way I am.

Slightly OT...

Keep that attitude and keep a proper work/life balance and you will be a very effective attorney! (...from a fellow JD)

Back OT

Keep up the good work with your water puppies... They will love you for it!!

Edited by Bengoshi2000

Ah! Attacking the algae is always a good sign. :)

....And maybe I can change your views on lawyers ;), we're not all bad although a large amount are horrible. I was actually told in an evaluation after an argument I was too happy and nice lol. Just the way I am.

Slightly OT...

Keep that attitude and keep a proper work/life balance and you will be a very effective attorney! (...from a fellow JD)

Back OT

Keep up the good work with your water puppies... They will love you for it!!

Oh awesome, thank you, I always appreciate input from my fellow legal brethren! And thank you, I try.

Ah! Attacking the algae is always a good sign. :)

Yea haha made my night. Now she's in a food coma, just fed her.

I have no idea what's gotten into her, but for at least the past 7ish minutes (I just started watching her then), she's been swimming around the tank like completely normal! She's even gulping haha...pecking at her favorite plant, HOVERING above the rocks to pick them, hasn't touched down once. And the lump...it could be my eyes tricking me but it looks completely gone.

HPIM2873.jpg

:) Praying this is the start of going in an excellent direction!

LOL

Good work. Fins crossed :)

LOL

Good work. Fins crossed :)

Thank you, crossed for sure! It's been roughly 20 minutes, hasn't touched down once. This is such a great sign, she has complete control of her body and I genuinely think the lump is gone. I know we're not out of the woods just yet, but I am so happy this happened. Now I know why everyone wants this Jungle AP!

LOL. Well, when it's used appropriately, it's very good :)

Awesome stuff and great help. Caitie, great to see you here with the worm XP. She is up and about! This is HEALING time.

Johnny you are doing GREAT with her!! What a cute fish.

I would like to recommend you take all the gravel out slowly.

No need to QT a fish who has swallowed a load of worms and has a cyst like this. I am glad the poop is a better color now as that sounded like blood, the black part. She is a fighting little soul and has agreat owner she is going to make it.

Do think about getting rid of the gravel. At least until this whole epsidoe is long over.The colored gravel especially can leech toxins and if you have planaria-even one- you can guarantee they are breeding under the gravel and this could repeat.

The reason for the square shape was from bottom sitting.

Much more comfortable on bare bottom and easier on a cyst or prolapsed organ.

How is she eating her meds now and how was the latest poop? :)