Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyonthespot

Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

I'll look it up, although there is no urgency now :)

Lol, I can assure you all I have right now is urgency, I can't even sleep at night over this. I'm so excited to possibly have a solution it's literally killing me to not drop it in lol.

Well I think given the symptoms and the white stringy poop the AP food woudn't hurt. It really would be best if she was in QT as the others have suggested because apart from the meds the healthy fish could end up eating any of the internal worms she will expel if she is indeed infested. But if you really can't qt then by all means try to make sure the healthy fish doesn't eat the AP food. Also make sure she eats the food otherwise it will really foul up your water, this stuff spoils really quick once it is in the tank. Keep an eye on her to see if she expells any worms or segments of worms, it would really help to see what exactly she is infested with since there are quite a few types of worms.

No she's not, I don't really have a QT tank. Wouldn't it be good for him in case he is infected? Absolute worst case I'm good at sequestering him for feeding and wouldn't have a problem doing so.

no. if the other fish is not diplaying symptoms, you do not treat it. exposing healthy fish to medications can lead to other health complications to them.

I feel as though my possible QT solution would be much worse than current conditions. Ok, I guess I'll keep him to the side with gel and give her this. Do I have to float it like it says or can it be submerged?

I'll look it up, although there is no urgency now :)

That would be awesome! I may have to do my best to get me some of it for the med cabinet. I sure wish i still had my old vet. My best friends dad was my vet but passed away a late last year so i have a bit more problems when it comes to getting Rx only vet meds now. If i told him they were for my fish he did not care what i needed he would give me. In this day and age with people taking everything you cant do that, but since he knew I was not doing anything stupid with it he would give them to me.

I have a tank separator, I'm going to put that in there during feeding, he's getting gel, she's getting the AP. It says float it, is that correct?

Yes it will float. Can she eat it at the top?

I would get a small tub and qt it separately. I use a rope tub or a 15 gallon sterilite tub from walmart for around 5 bucks.

I have a tank separator, I'm going to put that in there during feeding, he's getting gel, she's getting the AP. It says float it, is that correct?

You can soak it for a minute, and then smush it. Then it will sink.

I put the separator in, Bernie got gel. She ate a few pieces so far, I freaked her out by scooping her in the net and trying to make her eat up top so now she won't move :/ She seemingly is keeping it down. Her dorsal is straight up. It's ok to submerge it? I was wondering if it'd dilute it or something.

So she ate around 8 pellets. She had a hearty appetite...was slow about it but when she was done chewing one she'd go on a mission for another. Praying I see some improvement...how long should I expect until I see improvement if it's indeed working?

Also, should I keep the separator in there? Bernie hates it with a passion.

One last thing. I read 4 days on, 4 days off. Does that mean feed her it for 4 days, then feed her normal food for 4 days, or nothing for those 4 days?

For some reason, I remember it being 4 on, 3 off. In any case, yup. On the off days you feed regular food.

For some reason, I remember it being 4 on, 3 off. In any case, yup. On the off days you feed regular food.

Oh thank God, something I can do hahaha. She definitely is livelier now, I'm really glad she got it down. Definitely feeling encouraged, just can't wait to see some results.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

She may start to get better within a few hours but it will probably take at least a few days to get her back to normal.

Yes it will take a while before you really see all the benefits, but no matter what you need to feed it for one whole month. This will make sure to kill all the parasites and any eggs they may have laid. As Alex said you need to feed it 4 days then three days of regular food. I strongly recommend that you feed only peas on the first day of regular food. The Ap food tends to make the fish a little constipated and you don't need that problem on top of everything else. :rolleyes:

She may start to get better within a few hours but it will probably take at least a few days to get her back to normal.

Seriously?? What about the lump? That's incredible.

Caitie you answered my next questions. I'm fine with peas, works for me. Should I keep the separator in? They're having prison love and trying to rub their bellies together through the barricade :( It's freaking adorable and heart breaking, they love eachother.

You can let them be together as long as you don't stress them out when you need to but the separator back in. :) Keep an eye on that lump to see if it goes down or if it gets bigger.

You can let them be together as long as you don't stress them out when you need to but the separator back in. :) Keep an eye on that lump to see if it goes down or if it gets bigger.

I was worried about him getting infected by any hatchings or anything, am I making that up?

Well if they are in the same tank the risk are high that he may get infected, the seperator won't change anything. It only helps so that the healthy fish doesn't eat the meds.

Well if they are in the same tank the risk are high that he may get infected, the seperator won't change anything. It only helps so that the healthy fish doesn't eat the meds.

Yea I figured as much. That's why I was toying with feeding him the meds too, in case he did get infected by being in the same tank. Does that make sense? I mean, is it really likely he'd get infected while it was clearing out of her?

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

It sounds logical but don't do it. He might not get sick and then the meds could be harmful or they might not work later on if he does need them.If he is healthy he can get through this without getting sick. I had a fish that was badly infested and his roommate never got infected at all. So it is best to wait and see in this case. Keep a close eye on him and let us know if he starts acting off , if his tummy becomes skinny or if his stool becomes weird. :)

Alright, I'll do that. I mean I assume if she got infested, he's at risk perpetually regardless, right?

Also, whatever this turns out to be, is this my fault? How can I possibly prevent this in the future?

Also, whatever this turns out to be, is this my fault? How can I possibly prevent this in the future?

I don't see how this could be your fault, unless you are carrying goldfish worms :rofl