Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyonthespot

Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

I can see the odd shape of her butt. It COULD just be how she is growing. But to be on the safe side we'll work through any & all possibilities. Hopefully soon one of the members Federica & Alex has contacted will check in. Hang in there, you are doing awesome!

Yea I am not sure the shape is normal like that. It would be weird growth is associated with bottom sitting.

Yea I'm sure it could be innocent, it just makes too much sense that it's the source of the problem, or at least a sign of it. Thanks, I'm just trying not to have a stroke over here out of stress. And yea, since it's definitely appeared fairly recently and is accompanied with this horrific behavior, it really stands out to me.

One other possibility...she did poop a lot today. I'd say about 2" worth. Is there any chance this growth is completely harmless, she was legitimately backed up, and now she's just exhausted and hungry?

Nope she isn't hungry :)

Just relax, worrying about it won't help her. Hopefully we will soon have more info from members who have had worm experience. I don't know much about it sorry

Unfortunately I don't have a relax mode lol, the longer I go with inaction the more I stress haha. I just want to fix everything immediately. I know I have to wait, just drives me crazy. And this is in no way a complaint, I genuinely appreciate all the help I've gotten so far. Just explaining why I'm so antsy.

OK, according to this thread, Imo says that one of the classic signs of capillaria (an nematode/roundworm that does not require an intermediate host) is a swollen lump near the vent of the fish. The other big sign would be seeing white little worms coming out. You could also see eggs in the stool.

The treatment for this is fenbendazole or Jungle antiparasite medicated food. I'm going to look around some more, but now that we've nearly eliminated the possibility of food impaction, parasites are next to be considered.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/80381-my-comet-goldfish-has-worms-and-possible-dropsy/

wether it be internal parasites or she's just naturally backed up.. whilst you're fasting her and until the meds arrive, i think it be a good idea you qt her and administer epsom into the water.. someone mentioned correct dose 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. i personally would take this measure in this situation as a first. as well as this, the temperature is to be increased to 80F to assist with faster digestion. so, epsom and heat should relieve the constipation pretty quickly if this is the problem.

we lean towards internal parasite infestation purely for the fact that she has a bump near her vent. a constipated fish does not display this visual symptom under normal circumstances. bumps like will most likely be parasites or secondary infection from parasitic infestation. either way, the fact that it is not red or coloured differently to her indicates that it is very internal.

JungleAP would be ideal for this as it treats infection and parasite at the same time, but if you can't get it, MetroMeds from Goldfish Connection or from our generous members here whom have recently offered is available to you at "pay the post cost only" option. whilst feeding the MetroMeds you can also administer Prazi into the water.

whatever the antibiotic you administer, it must be fed.

even with this, QT is recommended as the fish that is well does not need to be exposed to meds either by mouth or in the water.

Jesus dude you linked me to the one with the dead fish, NOT what I wanted to see lol. I am this close to a heart attack now.

Ok, I'm going to go to my LFS right now and find JungleAP. Can I feed her tonight?

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

Johnny, I'm sorry about that, but I needed to link to the thread with Trinket's comments for others to see.

I don't know that you can buy Jungle AP anymore at the stores. I think it might be available on ebay. Failing that you can try to use Safeguard, which contains the de-wormer fenbendazole. However, as worms are not my strong point, I would really like for you NOT to start treatment until some others see this. It's no good to start a treatment, only to find out that it's not the appropriate course of action.

I know you worry, but hang on. More help is coming!

Hi Johnny! I doubt you will be able to find Jungle AP locally, the company has stopped making it. I had a terrible time finding it. I did find someone selling it on ebay, but I will warn you that the bottle came to me open, which was not stated in the description (who knows how long it has been open for!), so that is something you might want to ask before purchasing. It came to me off ebay in 3 days.

Alternatively, goldfish utopia is selling a food with the same ingredients as Jungle AP, but their delivery had been a little spotty for a few people here recently, although this seems to have recently gotten resolved (thanks to koko!), so that is a possible option.

fenbendazole is the active ingredient in safe-guard. Its a dog dewormer. In the reef hobby it is pretty common to use interceptor another dog dewormer to treat flatworms.

sorry didnt realize alex already said its the active ingredient in safeguard (twice) :) I agree with stakos whatever you do you must feed internally. I sure hope you can find something that will work.

sorry didnt realize alex already said its the active ingredient in safeguard (twice) :) I agree with stakos whatever you do you must feed internally. I sure hope you can find something that will work.

Patti, I'm glad you said it also.

Do you know dosage of fenben for internals? I will look it up later in Noga, if you don't have it.

That's great! You should buy out their stock and sell to kokos lol.

Seriously. :lol You could make a killing!

They had like 4 more bottles of the AP. I'd gladly distribute it. Ok, so should I feed her this or what? I'm getting super antsy, and reading that thread up top has me not optimistic at all.

is the fish in qt? you need to make sure that the healty fish does not consume any. if so, then follow the instructions on the package.

I would go right back and get every bottle if you can.

No she's not, I don't really have a QT tank. Wouldn't it be good for him in case he is infected? Absolute worst case I'm good at sequestering him for feeding and wouldn't have a problem doing so.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

I'm sorry about the problems you are having with your fish. I have dealt with a few different kinds of internal worms so maybe I can try to help before you feed her the AP food.

Do you remember seeing any white stringy poop in the last few month? Have you noticed if she is getting skinnier? I know you posted a video of her pooping but I couldn't tell if her poop was thin or thick? And is your gravel small enough for her to have eaten a piece or two? :unsure:

I'm sorry about the problems you are having with your fish. I have dealt with a few different kinds of internal worms so maybe I can try to help before you feed her the AP food.

Do you remember seeing any white stringy poop in the last few month? Have you noticed if she is getting skinnier? I know you posted a video of her pooping but I couldn't tell if her poop was thin or thick? And is your gravel small enough for her to have eaten a piece or two? :unsure:

She's had stringy poop before and I prazid her. Her poop is weird, she's a gulper, so it's always distorted by bubbles. No clue if she's getting skinnier. Two days ago she had a thick poop, today was a normal sized poop. Yes, she could have eaten some gravel.

I would go right back and get every bottle if you can.

Seriously. This stuff is not easily found anymore.

I am unsure on the dosage of fenben. I have never personally used it, but did alot of reading around and from what i have read it seems to be the most effective treatment for internals especially camallanus which seems to be the most difficult and hardest to treat. I have been looking all over since first seeing this topic. I like to use fishyfarmacy http://www.fishyfarmacy.com to help diagnosis things. They seem to have the easiest and best charts for biostupid fish keepers like myself. They recommend the meds they sell of course, but if you can at least get an idea of what you are fighting you can look for better or alternative treatments to what they retail.

I can go back in the next few days and scoop em up, then I'll send them for C&S (broke student lol) to a few people to distribute them accordingly, not a problem.

So should I drop this in? Should I give it to both just in case Bernie has it too? Can't hurt, right?