Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyonthespot

Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

I don't have medi gold but I can pick some up for sure. I threw her an MM pellet and she ate it down, waiting to see if it works it's normal miracle.

She was literally fine last night. This came out of nowhere, and she went downhill fast. I'm baffled.

Lol now check this out. She's eaten two pieces. Still bottom sitting, but she's smoothed out. Is there a chance the sitting is making her deformed and then it gradually straightens out when she's up? Oh, and what does Medi-gold treat specifically? I know nothing about it.

Regardless, I haven't felt her belly but if it's that malleable I assume it's mushy, what is that a sign of? Here's a pic to show her since fixed deformities, taken 30 minutes after the super deformed above one:

HPIM3319_zps3a12a5a3.jpg

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

That part of the belly is somewhat flexible, so I don't know that it's entirely abnormal. That bulge is so characteristic of some sort of internal parasitic infections, though. I don't know what to make of it. :o

Lol yea me neither. Ok, goldfishconnection is running super slow for me. I'm going to feed the MMs for the full period again, because I read on the Medi-gold page that feeding for a few days creates super bugs which won't leave lol. So I'm going to feed the MMs, then do the Medi-gold, sound good?

Update. She's a lot more active but still crashes out at the bottom. She has pooped. She still looks swollen to me, but it's uniform, not like it was when I first woke up. Notably last night she did gulp for the first time in months and floated, maybe that has something to do with it. She's happily gobbling up all of her food.

Should I do MMs into Medi-gold or what's best?

Just leave it at MMs.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a chronic issue that isn't readily infectious, because her tank mate is largely oblivious to all this.

I think the same thing. But I mean...what could it be? We know few things. 1) It makes her swollen and lethargic, 2) It doesn't seem contagious and 3) MMs knock it out, at least temporarily.

So I have no clue what it could be. It's really weird. It just doesn't match up with anything. Doesn't seem like a tumor, doesn't seem like SBD, only thing it points to are parasites. But the fact that it isn't contagious (or it is and Bernie's just too strong/immune) lends itself towards something internal.

I still think the root of it is parasitic, and probably some sort of intestinal worm that we just haven't managed to wipe out. Without a microscope, it's hard to get a grip, though :/

I agree. Ok, so you think I should do MMs for 14 days or an extended run? And when should I do the MG, next sign of distress? Just wondering if an onslaught would wipe it out better.

No, no MG for now. I am just trying to think about all the options.

Let's evaluate on day 13 or so in terms of MMs. I have a feeling it will go longer than 14 days.

So update time. I today will end 3 weeks on the MMs. She's grown, as she has everytime on them...do they have a steroid or something? It's ridiculous lol. I was feeding her 6 pieces a day, dropped it to 4 yesterday...wake up and she's bottom sitting for the first time in 18 days. I tapped the glass and she hopped right up...don't know what that's about.

Should I continue the MMs for another week, look for anything else, or what? No clue what to do with her at the moment. I can tell you this...I don't think they have an adverse affect on her, because she is more lively on them then she has been in the past two years, and always grows. She's bigger than Bernie now.

Go ahead and continue for another week.

The problem with using the meds all the time is that: 1) she will eventually develop resistance to it, and 2) it could eventually cause damage to liver and kidney, the organs that process meds.

Yea that's what I figured. Should I stop then? What do you think the benefit is to continue?

Also how do you always respond so fast? It's really impressive lol.

LOL. I have magical, or robotic, powers :rofl

It's OK to continue the MMs for the next week, unless she starts to get really constipated from it.

LOL. I have magical, or robotic, powers :rofl

It's OK to continue the MMs for the next week, unless she starts to get really constipated from it.

It's really impressive.

She seems to still be pooping fine. I'm just concerned about the long term with her, feel like I'm just applying a series of bandits to a shotgun wound lol. She refuses to just get better.