Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She has increased my gray hair amount at least 50% since getting her. I love her to death, but man...she's something. Poor Bernie lol, never a thing wrong and has to deal with my constant attempts at fixing her...he's missed more meals because of her than I'd be happy with haha.

So she's back to kind of bad looking. The bump is back right now a little bit and she's bottom sitting exclusively. I noticed when she first got this bump that she had a hard time getting her food down, especially peas. She would chew on them for up to 10 minutes and keep spitting it back out and re-swallowing it until I made it small enough to get down. She did that recently as well. I also noticed that when feeding her the past week or so just the normal gel, it takes her a while to get a piece down sometimes and she sits the whole time she is chewing. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the parasites, as it always seems to happen when she has the bump.

Right now she's just very lethargic. She got excited when I dumped food in, ate it, and sat back down. Bernie's digging under her a lot and he's like lifting her face against the glass, and she's just staying that way until she sinks back down. It's kind of depressing. She's been like this before....but as I said it's an endless cycle. Treat her, she improves, gradually gets worse, gets off medicine, never improves...

I'm toying with the idea of giving her like 1 small piece every 4 days or Monday Wednesday with Tuesday off, then the full 4 days. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I'm willing to sit and watch her for another week, but if she declines anymore I'm going to have to do something.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

Go ahead and try what you are thinking. It's clear that the routine treatment isn't doing it.

Good luck. Let us know how goes.

One question: is this the fenbendazole only medicated food? We may have to add the other two ingredients if that's the case.

So you wouldn't wait any longer and medicate her? And which treatment do you think I should try, the piece every 4 days one? I figure that would attack their cycle...we're still thinking parasites, right?

And no I put all 3 in this one, the safe guard, prazi, and metro.

Explain this one to me. So in a week starting Sunday...dose her normally Sunday-Tuesday. From Wednesday-Saturday give her one piece during that time? I was suggesting Sunday giving her a piece, Thursday giving her a piece, Monday giving her a piece, and so on. I'm willing to try anything I just didn't contemplate your suggestion.

I think the biggest problem we are having is that although the meds are working, we are running into toxicities, because Prazi/fenbendazole is one heck of a combo.

For now, I would like her to have at least the first round of meds at the regular dosing that you've been doing to quickly settle problems, and then we need to figure out how to lower the dose to get rid of the toxicity. I'll be getting back to you on that.

Alrighty. Well I have one other hypothesis Ii want to run by you...I'm wondering if the lethargy is due to constipation. I've noticed her in the past two weeks taking really long poops on occasion, sometimes 2"+. And she usually looks better after that. Any chance this whole ordeal is caused by that and that maybe the parasites are gone? The bump actually goes away when she starts swimming, it's only there when she's on the bottom for some reason.

That's entirely very possible. Try veggies to see how she does.

There is a premix gel food powder called Repashy soilent green that does wonders for these types of things, besides being very nutritious.

I can send you a little bit of my own (I have 9 pounds :rofl) to try. I will get them off this week. I have send it out to two other friends, but have been crazy busy. So, if you send me contact info, I'll send it out this week.

Her feeding schedule is this: Saturday-Sunday they each get 2 pieces in the morning, 1 at night. Monday they each get half a pea, nothing at night. Tuesday-Thursday, 2 morning, 1 night, and Friday half a pea, no dinner. Do you think I need to cut back on food, weave in more peas or what? And I'd be willing to try the food but if it's as simple as just changing her diet, I'd rather do that to save any trouble. We'll cross that bridge soon, but I do appreciate the offer :)

But man, that is an absurd amount of gel mix haha. Wood go great with my 3 tons of koi clay.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

That's entirely very possible. Try veggies to see how she does.

There is a premix gel food powder called Repashy soilent green that does wonders for these types of things, besides being very nutritious.

I can send you a little bit of my own (I have 9 pounds :rofl) to try. I will get them off this week. I have send it out to two other friends, but have been crazy busy. So, if you send me contact info, I'll send it out this week.

Why in the world do you have 9 pounds of Soilent Green??! Seriously, man! :lol

EDIT: Considered that 1oz makes about 8oz of gel, 9 pounds will make 72 pounds of finished gel. You GOT to be kidding, right? :rofl

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Lol

I also have the koi clay, which I use 2 teaspoons every 2 months :rofl

I think diet is everything. Definitely cut back, but don't rely so much on peas. Use other things like cooked baby spinach or green beans.

Anyway, to recap, let's give her a normal three days, but also give her some fibrous things to help push things along. We'll play it by ear at this point.

Edit: Fang, I'm not kidding. You know me by now, I think. I am not one to meekly do anything :rofl

I actually started out with 9 pounds of soilent green, 1 pound spawn and grow, 1 pound of community plus, and 1 pound of super green. :o

In my defense, I got that much with the intention of enabling some of my friends to give this a try. :)

The only reason I'm relying on peas is because it's what I had, I can definitely add in spinach or something else, just wouldn't know how much to give them.

Ok, so what I'm going to do is cut out 1 of those 3 pieces I give her, and work in other veggies. Anything else? Should I give her more veggies than I am now or just more variety?

So the bump is definitely bigger :( Think I should scrap the constipation rationale and medicate her? Just not sure how best to treat her. Do you think a normal 3 day dose followed by 1 piece every 5 days would keep it at bay? I'm just...I'm at a loss here on what to do.

I'm sorry I wasn't too clear earlier.

Yes, I would like for you to treat her with 3 days of the antiparasite gel. During that time, if you like, you can sneak in some veggies to keep her regular. Then, it may be that it will be the medicated gel every other day, WITH a healthy amount of veggies also.

Alright, so during treatment I give her typically 1 small piece every day for three days. You want me to give her meds for 3 straight days, then 1 day on 1 day off? So this week it'd be Monday-Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday medicated, correct? How long should we do this for? Or am I misreading? Because that seems like more than usual.

We are now in sync lol. Try that, and then see how we have to proceed later on in the week.

I wish there were other tools we have to be able to evaluate more directly what's going on with her.

Sorry man, I'm easily confused on line apparently haha. So what should I look for, progression wise then? The problem never appears to be the medicine's ineffectiveness, just the ability to prolong treatment to completely eradicate the issue. Are you hoping this short term tidal wave knocks them out for good?

No, I don't think I expect that. I just want to make sure that she's back to being lump-less before suggesting the next step, whatever that may be.

Anyway, try to see if you can see if there are any worms coming out of her in the next few days as the lump shrinks.

Aye aye. I don't think I've ever seen a worm, but I'll keep an eye out for sure!

PS, my God this is frustrating. Someone, a WHILE ago, said I may be battling this for a year plus, didn't know that statement was serious. This has been absolutely insane.