Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a video, it's not very telling. My parameters are fine, no ammonia or nitrites, nitrates around 10-15 (I'm about to do a water change), pH around 7.6. I gave her a little piece of medicated food before I left and it seems to have perked up a bit but she's still bad, I don't know what's going on.

:(

It looks like she's developed swim bladder issues, where probably one or both of the lobes have deflated (probably one). That's why she has such a hard time staying afloat.

...seriously? But sometimes she's completely fine, like this is intermittent. Like...she'll be fine for weeks and not touch down, but then go through a spurt where she looks like she has poor control.

So what do I do? I mean...is this terminal/permanent? Can I do anything? Did I do anything? Why would it be in spurts like this? UGH, I feel awful.

I mean, it could be constipation, right? Like 3 days ago she let out a poop that was I'd say 2-3" long. Maybe she's having digestive problems? I just don't know what to do...

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

Oh, then perhaps I'm wrong. I think so, especially from your description.

You've started her on medicated foods again? For now, let's try that. I'm going to dig in my books around some more to see what else I can learn. Intestinal worms are annoying, to say that least.

Well I'm going to do my best to explain it. Sometimes I look at her and she blatantly has a hard time getting off the ground. Sometimes she's 100% in control of her body. I assumed that the parasites in her butt were weighing her down, whether or not that makes any sense. When she gets like this, to where she can't get up, she will sprint to the surface and pop out a bit, then float back down. But it usually doesn't last very long, like more than a day.

It's hard to explain but some days I look at her and say "she can't get up" and some days she's fine. The "can't get up" is rarer than her being fine. I can tell when she can't get up and when she's just bottom sitting as well, today she can't get up. I've also noticed that she sits a lot before pooping, and I did read that constipation can cause temporary SBD.

I'm considering just putting her on the meds a slight amount, with a small dose in the morning and peas at night. I have every reason to believe she's constipated because she has had issues with in the past. But I also trust your take 1,000,000x more than my own, which is why I'm trying to give you as much info as humanly possible.

If it was a chronic problem, it wouldn't just come and go like this, right?

No, with swim bladder issue where one becomes a sinker, it does not improve, and it doesn't come and go like this. I think your explanation fits the observations best at the moment.

Gotcha. Here's a new video I just took after salting to .01% and changing the water. You can see here how she's really not that bad now (no clue why), and her mad darts to the top. Excuse the water, I just cleaned it and it's always a bit partically.

I didn't see it but it's a possibility since I was cleaning the tank. She also is up and rummaging around the tank, picking at the filter, and hasn't been down that I've seen. That's why this is weird to me, it's completely sporadic and random. You can notice a difference, correct?

I'm sorry this is happening to you but I was just thinking, if something is working through her system... (like say digestive system) wouldn't her behavior be sporatic like this? Constipation or irritation of a healing area or something in the blood, irritation of any kind (flukes detaching during prazi treatment), fish lice.

I'm not saying your fish has any of this as I'm not as familiar with this case as dnalex, I'm just thinking of in the past what sporatic movement was involved with.

Yea I think he and I are both leaning towards constipation causing this, or a physical blockage of some sort instead of SBD independently. The sporadic nature definitely lends itself to being an intermittent problem caused by passing conditions versus a chronic ailment.

If course I say that and 10 minutes later she plops down lol. One day I'll solve this fish....

At least she's having no problems moving around/getting around. When she gets up, she's up, not struggling like yesterday.

• 1 month later...

Back again lol. I just cannot get this fish healthy.

I had her eating a small piece of medicated food a day for 3 days, then 4 off, with peas the day before and after treatment. She responded well at first, but as the treatment went on, she bottom sat more and more. She went from not bottom sitting for a few days in week 1 to bottom sitting almost entirely in week 5. I let it run 5 weeks. I've had her off of it for two weeks and she again seems to be getting worse. She never really recovered from being off the meds....so it seems like the meds wipe her out, but then the parasites return and keep her wiped out. I'm assuming the parasites are back because the lump seems to be returning...again.

She eats fine, just bottom sits a ton. Also sometimes looks like she's coughing down there...hard to explain but sometimes her breathing gets heavy and bounces her body a bit. It's not constant, but does happen a few times a day.

I'm kind of out of ideas. It seems the medicine helps her...but doesn't clean out the problem. The medicine does, however, take a toll on her body it seems, so I can't just do it perpetually. I have no clue what to do, and any advice is appreciated.

How is she doing today? Let's just cease meds for the time being, while taking note of the bump and her activity level. I'll keep looking for other alternatives.

I wasn't home all day but she was fine when I was here, up until around 3. So from 10-3 I observed her. I put out the light when I left, came home at 11 and she was on the bottom, but popped up when I walked in and has been up since. The light being off always puts her to sleep haha.

She seems like she has energy. Yesterday she was hunting like a fiend, and when I changed the water today she was swimming up into the current haha, she loves doing that.