Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

It's just gel food. I think she's a bit constipated, or they both may be. Give them unsalted canned green beans tomorrow...

I think you may want to scale down on the medicated food just a tad more. It's almost right :)

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems I'm still not out of the woods. I finished week 3 of treatment Sunday, I gave them each roughly .2 grams of medicated gel a day for one meal, the other meal they split a pea. Gabby will eat readily and will swim around afterwards, but will crash out a few hours later and will only start moving again around 6-7, a few hours before I feed them. When she swims she's fine, and she's very energetic, just during the day she's very...mopey.

One thing she's doing, which is odd, is she has her face tucked under the bush like plant and she's pressed against the side, she's been doing this a lot the past few days. And she's pooping everytime I look at her. Yesterday I saw some stringy poop, some dark poop with bubbles in it, and a normal green poop that looked just like the peas. Right now she has a really thin, curly brown strand hanging out of her, and I don't feed her anything brown, it's all green.

When I bother her, she gets up, but typically plops right back down. I want to finish the cycle of meds, but she's not getting better while on them, and I"m wondering if they're doing more harm than good right now.

Upon closer inspection, her poop has some white things in there...could this be her expelling the parasites or something else? Either the medication's doing it's job and that's tiring her out, or it's hurting her.

HPIM3150.jpg

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

I agree. I do think that it's time to just give her a break from the meds for long while. These meds, however gentle, can be very taxing on her system after a while.

Let me know how she does in a few days, and we can plan from there.

Gah, I figured as much. She's sitting in the corner now, not hiding, she was up for a little while a few hours ago.

Any thoughts on that poop? I just think that'll be a good sign that either the treatment is hurting her or it's working, and that's hurting her.

I don't think it's hurting her, because there is no trace of blood in that poop. I'm more inclined to think that it's expelled stuff, but without looking at it under the microscope, it's hard to say what it is. But I don't think it's anything like internal damage.

Let's give her a month off from meds at least, if not stopping it altogether. I'd like to observe and see how she does in the mean time.

You know funny you mention blood, I wanted to ask something. I've occasionally found like little red threads in the tank, like once or twice a week, that started once I put in the coral. Do you think that's blood, bad poop, or just something coming up from the coral? It's not liquid, looks like a realllllly little Brillo pad almost.

So if it's expelled parasites, would this all be for naught if we stop now? I'm just very concerned about her, she's been getting worse the past few weeks. I'm very inclined to stop treatment, but not if it's helping her and it's a step back to take two forward. I guess I just don't understand what's causing this....does it make sense the meds would do this to her on their own?

Honestly I'm not sure, but I did just Google them and it really doesn't seem like what I've seen. I wouldn't classify what I've seen as worms. I haven't seen anything red for a week or two, so if I see them again I'll get a picture. If she has an infestation, I assume I'll see them again, correct?

Would this medication be treating that breed?

Also, it says symptoms include ignoring food and a sunken in stomach, she doesn't seem to have that. I really just assumed it was dirt/debris from the coral. I've also never seen any "red spikes" protruding from her anus.

Ah, OK. It could be from the coral, but a pic next time (if there is one) will be fantastic!

The fenbendazole should take care of camallanus worms, also. So far, I don't think that she's showing signs of severe problems, so I think things can wrap up for now.

(Btw, I took the LSAT in June. I can't decide what was funnier, the test or the anxious people taking it.)

Gah, found the tiniest little red particle, I'd say it was like 1/8' of an inch, scooped it with the net to get a pic and lost it, since I know my camera wouldn't detect it. If my tank was infected with these guys, would it be more obvious?

Well that's good to know. I got pics...found another one. I have a pic in the tank showing it's redness, although it's far, and a closeup out of the tank...looking brown. It's definitely not alive. In the second picture, it's just a red dot in the middle of the pic, on the reflection of the filter. It's more to show it's color and shape than anything.

HPIM3152.jpg

HPIM3151.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I officially have no clue what to do. I didn't do the 4th cycle last weekend or whenever I was supposed to do it. She seemed to be responding positively to being off the treatment for a few days. A few days ago, maybe even a week ago, not sure, she started bottom sitting more and more, to the point where she'd get up like an hour before eating, sit down a few hours after eating not to get up again until her next meal.

When I woke up this morning she was hiding under the bush, and her lump's back :(

I started getting concerned because for the first time in a while Bernie was chasing her around and was targeting her vent, which he did before I ever treated her. She's also having difficulty getting around as it seems to take more energy to elevate herself in the tank. Bernie's also been bullying her more. Lastly, 3 days ago I found a decent sized hole in her back fin, which has since split, but that's probably unrelated and I'll treat that with salt.

I have no clue what to do at this point.

The lump's gone down a bit since I woke up but it's still there...and something's definitely wrong. I've thought I've noticed a little lump the past few mornings but it's gone away every time during the day. She was just mauling a bush, then dropped next to it panting, then calmed down, went after it again and repeat. I have no idea what's going on but she doesn't look too good right now. Like she'll breathe heavily, but after doing something, then it calms down. And she's still "active" in the sense that she's attacking plants. I've also noticed her taking a few mad sprints to the surface and getting half of her body out, which I've seen her do before. I'm just worried and I have no clue what to do at this point since I feel like I've tried everything. I'm going to check parameters in a bit just to rule them out.