Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to be as thorough as possible, just disappointed I won't be able to start this week due to shipping. I found the seller on eBay with it, I'm going to check my LFS just in case and then resort to the internet for it. That Safeguard I linked to earlier, is that exactly what I need and the right size?

Wait just a minute, is this what I want:

Metro: http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-641-Focus-5gram/dp/B0002A5X8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339376088&sr=8-1

Prazi: http://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Lift-Praziquantel-Powder-3-5-oz/dp/B003Z40SFU/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1339376157&sr=1-1-catcorr

Then the Safeguard what I listed before.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

Yup. That's the right one. That box is enough for you to make about 250g gel food.

The alternative is to make gel food with only Safe-Guard for the first round.

How are your fish doing?

Also, could I just use my PraziPro instead? Or should I just put it all in the food?

I don't object to making gel food, just remember you recommending the bloodworm way.

And they're ok, but she still bottom sits and her butt sometimes looks a little grown. They just seem slightly off. If the infection is there, it's not showing externally.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

Gotcha. I'm sorry. I should have re-read the thread.

I think that you are probably better off with the gel food, since we can be very precise about the amount of meds there. The blood worms would be my second choice, but it would work. If you want to do blood worms, then I would do as you proposed...Prazipro in water, and fenbendazole soaked worms. Oh, the irony :rofl

Good, gel food it is. I plan on making a batch this week. Would it be ok to prepare everything, then take a small amount and hand mix the meds in? This way I don't waste a full batch on the meds when I'd probably use a quarter of it.

This is going to be an arduous task, I can already feel it hahaha. Ok, so my normal recipe includes veggies, acidophillus, and a multivitamin, anything conflicting there?

I'm going to hit the stores tomorrow, if I don't find the stuff the internet will be my recourse.

Everything else before stays in :)

I'm actually going to try a new pre-made gel food (comes as a powder) from Repashy. They have four different kinds, and I am interested in 3 of them. They should arrive this week or early next week. Once I have them, I will try and write a review. If this turns out well, it's not a great food, but will make it so much easier to mix meds in there when needed.

Alright, everything's finally in and I'm ready to go. My recipe involves this:

Baby pea food, spinach, garlic, shrimp, pepper, accidophillis, and a multivitamin. Also a scoop of bloodworm, but I make a solid cup of this.

Then I use .5 cup of water, leading me to 1.5 total cups of ingredients.

I plan on sequestering a small amount of that for the medicated food which is really up to you, Alex. So just tell me how much to make of it, and how much of the three ingredients I should put in and we're good. I have the Safeguard Canine Dewormer, the Praziquantel and the Metro (Seachem). I also highly doubt I'll be measuring in any increments I have an accurate measurer for, so let me know what's best to pick up, please. I'm hoping to knock this out tomorrow. Thanks!

Do you have a kitchen scale? If you do, then you can measure out 89g of the gel food, to which you would add:

- 1 packet (1 gram) of the Safeguard de-wormer

- 0.5 grams of Prazi (If your kitchen scale doesn't go that low, measure out 1 gram, and then cut the amount in half).

- 1 gram metro.

Once everything is added, leave some out to feed (enough for just a couple of days). The rest cut into manageable cubes and freeze. Feed them at least twice a day in whatever amounts they will consume. The rounds of this is the same as the Jungle AP, 3 days "on" and 4 days "off"

Yup...digital scales at stores will be able to do increments of 1 gram, but not less than that. For finer measurements, you'll need to order online, but you really don't need to measure finer than 1 gram :)

These scales could set you back about $25. If you have family near you, I'm sure one of them will have a scale.

Made it today. WHEW! Gave them the medicated batch, found this scale on Amazon and it's freakin' awesome! Measures to .1 grams versus 1, so I measured everything exactly...plus it's cheap and really cool looking too lol:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012N1NAA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

The weirdest part was that the prazi weighed like...5x what the metro weighed, does that make any sense? I used much less of it than the other stuff, even at .5.

Yes, the two meds are very different in their density, or fluffiness :rofl

Btw, I just bought that scale also. Thanks for the heads up. (Jess, look! I didn't even have to go to a head shop! :rofl)

Yea I was baffled lol. And yea man, no problem, glad I found such a good deal! It's snazzy, too. Measured a cool 88 grams, to boot. When it comes in, put a nickel on it to see if it's accurate, should say 5.0 grams ;)

Well, I fed them 1.5 hours ago and they're still alive, that's a plus. I had my girlfriend and my mom both freaking me out saying "Why are you feeding them dog meds that say for dogs only???"

Also let me know about the AP, it's sitting on my shelf if you want it.

I researched Fenbendazole thoroughly for my rabbit and found this to be an extremely interesting page/site. They don't mention fish unfortunately but I'm sure some of the parasites are the same/similar and as you treat with this you can rule them out.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Fenbendazole.htm

I researched Fenbendazole thoroughly for my rabbit and found this to be an extremely interesting page/site. They don't mention fish unfortunately but I'm sure some of the parasites are the same/similar and as you treat with this you can rule them out.

http://wildpro.twycr...enbendazole.htm

Fenbendazole has been a tried and true treatment for a lot of fish parasite issues, including fish, for some time now. It's in the text books, and in the scientific journals. That's why we recommended it, since Praziquantel wasn't as effective as could be hoped for. As you know, praziquantel, fenbendazole, and flubendazole are some of the most effective de-wormers out there, for many animal species, and they share overlapping specificities.

So I'm 4 feedings in with this, I've been giving them each 3 little pieces of it. I still don't understand the eyeball rule because I HAVE TELESCOPES hahaha, I don't even know what counts as their eye.

Anywho, I'm really pleased with this batch, has a great consistency to it. I think it's due to over pureeing the food and reboiling the agar agar with the food in it, made it a very uniform mixture. Healthy wise they seem good, Gabby had been bottom sitting a fair amount recently and upon feeding her this, I'd say it's reduced at least 50%. Just hope the medicine knocks this out once and for all.

Also, I cannot say enough how much I loved that scale. It's so accurate, and it was dirt cheap. Can't recommend it enough to anyone making their own foods with meds.

Sounds good! I'm really glad!

How much does Gabby weigh? Aim to give her about 0.5%-1% of her body weight daily. You don't need to eyeball; you have a scale :rofl

Oh, gosh, I'm so punny! :rofl

You're a pretty punny guy, eh? Lol, good work.

Um, I have no idea how much she weighs. I've never weighed her, and frankly I'm horrified at the thought of attempting to weigh her.

I can just never tell if they're lazy because they're too full or have no energy due to being hungry.