Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

Well, I'm officially baffled. Just fed them peas and she was in the process of taking a big poop...lump is gone. There is like a little thread hanging out of her butt I've noticed before but thought it was just the poop breaking...could that be the worm? It's in the 2nd pic. Also, Bernie gets more aggressive with her when she has the lump, and seems to attack her butt alot. Do you think he's trying (in his own weird way) to help her/alert me? I mean...he obsesses over her butt when it's there, and I'm wondering if he senses danger or if I'm just ridiculous hahaha.

HPIM3077.jpg

HPIM3075.jpg

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DO think it's the worm, and they just exited. Bernie's just found the vent to be extra tasty, since now there are wriggling worms hanging off it. Yup, we definitely need fenbendazole, since the AP isn't cutting it anymore.

There are two ways we can do this: 1) soak blood worms in the med, or 2) make gel food. I'm inclined to choose the first option, myself.

So that means the AP isn't cutting it anymore? To me, that looks like it's working if they're leaving, right? Should I maybe make her eat more?

But i'm going to do whatever you think is best. I've never fed them bloodworms before, but I will, it's not a problem. I'll do what's best. Are we talking fresh, freeze dried, what exactly? And only feeding her, right?

We are talking frozen bloodworms, and I think we should feed both. Given that Bert has been sniffing up her butt, I am almost positive that he has worms, too, but is asymptomatic. If you want to eradicate this, I think we need to treat both of them.

It's up to you, if you want to increase the amount of Jungle AP. I don't have any objections to that either.

I think that either the dosage of Jungle is not enough, or it's not efficacious enough, because it's been too many rounds. We don't want to keep her on Jungle AP indefinitely.

• Supporter

alex, what if he ordered the metro powder that susan purchased and made gelfood with the JungleAP and extra Metro? the consumed prazi would probably be enough, but this situation may need a stronger dose of Metro given the return of the parasite?

If you think the bloodworms are better, I'll switch. I just need to know exactly what to do, and how many each should get (estimates, of course), because I'm terrible with that sort of thing.

I'm fine with treating Bernie, too. He was on the first round with her but I'm sure he could have caught it again by now.

I think that the metro actually isn't doing much on the worms themselves, because the larger types of worms are unaffected by metronidazole. :(

Johnny, she just finished another round today, right? I would give her the four days rest at least, as per usual, and load her up on good veggies and other foods!

Edited by dnalex

Ok, good. I think you have some time to get things together, in that case. You'll want the smallest size Safeguard, and a packet of frozen bloodworms. I'm thinking you can give them both these 4 days off, and then another full week before setting off on the next treatment.

What do you think?

No tactical reason. I figured the timing allowed everyone a little bit of reprieve, since you have finals and she seemed to have just expelled a large worm burden. Next week, everyone will be in a better place to tackle the situation :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lapse in existence, decided to give them an extended break. I'm going to restart them with the powder in the next 10 days. They've looked really good recently so I see no urgency, but I'm sure it's still lurking.

I'm glad they are doing well.

Just a suggestion: if they are both OK, try waiting for another week or so before deciding whether you need to try the Safeguard :)

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty, I'm starting treatment Tuesday for the worms. So first thing is the Safeguard. Should I get this?

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Guard-Canine-DeWormer-Small-1-Gram/dp/B000FPH2EW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339369854&sr=8-2

I'm going to see if my pet store has it tomorrow. Is that what we're talking here? Regarding the bloodworms, my LFS has some frozen cubes of them, is that what I want? I assume I should feed them the amount of gel I feed them normally? Also, Alex I'd appreciate your instructions you told me to ask for, since I have no clue what I'm doing here. Thanks!

No problem!

Yes, try the frozen blood worms.

See if you can get these ingredients: metronidazole powder, praziquantel powder, and the Safeguard. Then we can go from there.

Wait, am I getting three different powders or one all in one? I don't see Petco having all of those, so I assume if I need to get them separately I'm relegated to using the internet, which would push back my start date.

Well, there are two options, if you want to make an alternative to the Jungle antiparasite, but changing only one of the ingredients, then all three are needed.

If you just want to try the de-wormer, without the other two ingredients, that would be OK, too, and will only require the Safe-guard. :)

Well I don't think I'm situated well enough to make that decision. Is one better than the other? I'm going to do whatever you tell me to do. It's just a matter of finding all of that other stuff. Amazon has the prazi but not the metro. I have no standing to say what's best lol.