Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for an update. I came home today from a mini vacation so I got a fresh look at them. They haven't been on the meds since last Friday. They're both looking very healthy and active. Gabby APPEARS to be getting the bump back, but it's super tiny at this point. I'm going to give it a small amount of time, but I'm considering re-dosing her. Should I do it for the 4 week period again? Should I not do it? Thoughts?

It may be that you will need to treat longer. That's the rub with parasites :/

I'm glad to hear that they have remained largely improved, though :)

It may be that you will need to treat longer. That's the rub with parasites :/

I'm glad to hear that they have remained largely improved, though :)

Yea I'm not concerned with treating longer, just making sure it won't have any ill effects. I want to knock this out of her completely. And yea, it is pleasant to come home to fish that don't look dead anymore lol.

Time for an update. I came home today from a mini vacation so I got a fresh look at them. They haven't been on the meds since last Friday. They're both looking very healthy and active. Gabby APPEARS to be getting the bump back, but it's super tiny at this point. I'm going to give it a small amount of time, but I'm considering re-dosing her. Should I do it for the 4 week period again? Should I not do it? Thoughts?

:clapping: I'm so happy that they are doing so well. As Alex said usually with parasites you usually need more than one treatment, but I recommend that you wait. The treatment is a little hard on the fish and giving them a few weeks off is a good idea. Unless they start acting unwell again.

When you do treat them again it is important that you do the whole treatment, so that's another 4 weeks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. Things seemed pretty under control. I waited a few days and ended up redosing because she still seemed off. I finished up round 2 (6th overall) this Sunday. She was bottom sitting a little more this week, and then boom, bump's back today. And she's bottom sitting a ton. I also noticed a few things, she might be red under her mouth, and she has two white matching marks behind both of her eyes. Not sure if the dots are anything to worry about but it freaked me out:

HPIM3015.jpg

HPIM3024-1.jpg

HPIM3027.jpg

Thoughts? I'm worried the bump is back, first time I've seen it in weeks :(

I'm toying with the idea of stopping the medication. She's been on it for roughly 6 weeks, and I'm wondering if it's taking a toll on her. Thoughts?

I would finish the cycle, which is the 4 rounds.

Sorry she is sill having issues. :( Now that you have started the meds again it is best to finish the treatment. As mentioned before the treatment is hard on her, it would have been better to wait a little while longer before going for another round. The lump will most probably come and go for a long time before she is totally well, she won't need meds every time though. The redness doesn't look too bad on the pic, unless it is getting worse I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure about the white dots tho, are you sure they weren't there before?

Unfortunately I already omitted treatment. There is no lump, I think I was imagining it. The redness doesn't seem worse, doesn't even seem there.

The past few days she's been milling around until the afternoon, then basically crashes. It's strange. She doesn't seem to be struggling or anything, I assume the meds just wiped her out basically.

As for the dots, they're new. I checked old pictures. It's weird that they perfectly match. Here's a better picture of it. It doesn't seem raised or anything abnormal, so I really don't know. Just praying it's not hole in the head or something. Any other dots are just spots on the glass, the only one actually there is right above her eye.

HPIM3037.jpg

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing a bit of thread necromancy here. I haven't been too active due to finals. I'm on the third round of treatment using the Jungle AP, about to enter week 4 tomorrow of this round. The bump STILL keeps coming back. I mean it has to be parasites, I assume, since it resurfaces after treatment ends, but I'm wondering if I should be doing something with a little more kick.

My schedule it Friday-Sunday, 2 feedings of 9-10 granules (so 18-20 a day). Peas and fasting on Monday, gel the rest until Friday. Today she's back to bottom sitting after two days of looking great, and her butt's jetting out again. I know I was told to be patient, but I want to make sure I'm doing the best treatment available, as she seems to have a nasty case.

The bump isn't as big, just definitely re-surfacing.

Johnny, let's try something a little different. I would like to suggest using fenbendazole, which is a very safe de-wormer used for dogs and cats. If you'll go to a pet store and get the smallest box they have (4 bags of 1 gram each), I can help with how you can add it to the food to help with the de-worming.

Alex I'm willing to try anything at this point, when would I be treating her? And also, is there ANY chance that it's not worms/parasites. I've never seen one in the tank, even during all of this. Also, I woke up this morning and right AFTER her 4th round, she's worse than she has been in weeks. And now I have 4 off days and I'm hoping it doesn't get ridiculous.

HPIM3067.jpg

It is pretty odd that you haven't seen any worms, but the thing that is at least supportive of the idea of worms/parasites is the observation that she responded to the antiparasite meds, at least previously.

There is a chance that the levamisole and Prazi just aren't doing the job anymore, so let's try the fenbendazole. Worms are obnoxiously tough to eradicate.

It's always possible that's something else, but given the pattern, I would presume that it's some sort of internal worm.

Fenbendazole is very gentle, on the order of praziquantel. Jungle AP is very nice, but I worry that the doses are not strong enough. Treatment is the same: 3 days on, 4 days off, for 3-4 rounds.