Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyonthespot

Bottom sitting, swollen near anus, etc....dying :(

Also one other question...what exactly does it mean to have clamped fins? Sometimes her dorsal is down, but other than that I never notice any other fins clamping. Is it just the dorsal, or is it more than that?

One other thing I just thought of...I read that when plants get in bad shape they can be pretty bad. I looked and my main plant they attack alot is pretty nasty looking, could it be a problem? Here is a pic of the leaves, and the stem. Everything is still attached and it's still growing. I assumed the loss of pigmentation was a result of them relentlessly attacking the poor thing. I've had it about a year now.

HPIM2911.jpg

HPIM2912.jpg

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

Ok, clean it how exactly? It's not dirty per se, last time I cleaned it I just ripped all of the leaves. It literally appears the green has been eaten lol. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

well I see fluffy stuff on the stems and leaves. I put my plants under running water and wash everything off with my fingers or a paper towel.

Ok, I'll give that a shot. Do you think the plant itself is in a problematic phase of its life or is it ok to leave in?

Also, still wondering about the fins clamping, got lost in the shuffle haha.

Gabby's been bottom sitting practically all day, she doesn't do well once the meds are replaced with normal food for the off days :( Is there a chance I'm not giving her enough, or is this the normal progression of the illness?

She probably feels better with the meds. Is she eating her regular food well?

Yea her appetite seems relatively normal. She's eating without trouble and wants it badly lol. I know she's not on her death bed, just makes me feel bad that she's obviously hurting.

I know exactly how you feel. :)

So she's worse today, but luckily I get to start the meds again today. The growth is back to almost, if not the same, size as before I started treatment. I'm wondering if I need to either not do the 3 days off, or if I'm not feeding enough. I feed her 9 granules, twice a day. She's been bottom sitting most of the time I've been home, and was also yesterday for the most part. Here are some pics. Thoughts on how to proceed? I'm just wondering if she needs more. Thanks.

HPIM2935.jpg

HPIM2933.jpg

HPIM2926.jpg

HPIM2924.jpg

HPIM2922.jpg

This will be her 3rd round right? Lets see how she does while on the meds and decide what to do after. :) You haven't seen any funny poop or any worms recently? How is Bernie doing?

I've seen some grayish poop that's looked a bit abnormal, no worm sightings though. Bernie's ok but not 100%. I took a better picture:

HPIM2938.jpg

It's just strange, while on the meds it shrinks, then by the time she's ready to go back on she balloons again. Makes me wonder if I'm not doing something right, or if I'm underfeeding her. Thoughts?

If she doesn't get constipated then by all means give her a few more pellets. If you could manage to give her three times a day then you could make sure she doesn't get too much all at once. :) By the way your doing everything right, but every single fish is different so sometimes we need to readjust treatments, that's all. :)

I upped her to 12, she gobbled them down happily. I know I'm technically doing it right (even though I worry about squeezing them to get them to sink and hurting their efficacy), I just hate that it's not getting knocked out of her. Obviously the off days are just allowing them to re-populate, and I'm not sure why they're not getting wiped out, or at least severely decreasing in numbers.

The thing is that the meds don't kill the eggs, they have to hatch for the meds to work. That is the reason for the long treatment and the days off. If you give the meds every single day than the eggs don't hatch. It just takes lots and lots of patience. When my fish had them it took months to finally rid him of all the worms. :(

The fact that she has a very good appetite is a great sign. Don't worry about squeezing them, it won't affect the meds at all, as long as she eats them. :)

Well that makes sense. So when the growth comes back, is that the eggs hatching or the eggs re-populating? I guess I'm confused as to where the eggs are even coming from at this point lol. I'm also confused as to why I haven't seen any concrete physical evidence of any parasite being expelled. I mean I assume it's very easy to miss, and could just blend in with the other poop/decor.

The fact that her appetite is great definitely makes me feel better. Right now she's zipping around the tank, definitely looking better. She's pooping and her appetite is intact, which I know are absolutely key. As long as she'll eat, I can help her. I guess it just freaks me out because I don't understand it fully and I know it's causing her at least mild discomfort. I at least assume I'm making it somewhat better, just wish I could heal her completely already. Thanks for your help and support so far. I have 0 patience with problems...

When the growth comes back it could possibley be the eggs hatching or even just swelling due to the parasites. The eggs could have been laid quite a while ago. From the research I've done on the subject they don't all hatch at once. But eventually they will disappear. :)

Gotcha. Well, hopefully it starts really knocking them out soon, they're both depressingly bottom sitting next to eachother. I swear he's keeping her company. They both look pretty bad today actually, but that usually occurs after the first day of re-starting treatment, then they look better days 2 and 3.

So I just walked in and they were bottom sitting...or so I thought. He was hovering like...2 MM off the ground. I could tell because his back fins were lower than his body. I think he's just keeping her company...he ONLY does it when she does it. Is that love or what?

Sweet! :wub: My Hercules used to do that when Coquin got sick. So tomorrow will be day 2? Hopefully they'll start feeling better.

Not really sure what's going on. She's still bottom sitting pretty regularly, and the lump, to me, doesn't look like it's gone down at all this round. I read the directions, and they do say to treat for THREE days continuously, not the 4 I've been doing as recommended. Could that be causing a problem somehow? I'm just getting frustrated because I saw so much progress the first week, but the 2nd week saw less, and the 3rd, even less. She still seems weighted towards the back end, like it's dragging her down. I don't understand why the lump would basically disappear the first week of treatment, but not go down at all the 3rd. Here's a pic:

HPIM2941.jpg

Thanks, as always. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this and calm me down :(

No signs of improvement :( This morning would be the last dose of a 3 day period....wondering if I should be dosing for 3 or 4 days still. The lump is the same size, and she's still having problems staying up. This makes no sense to me because I actually increased her dose by 33%, so I'd assume it'd be more effective, yet it's been the least effective week of treatment by far. I'm wondering if I'm either treating the wrong thing (aka there's something else going on) or if I need a stronger treatment.

Are there any other signs of an internal infestation? I still haven't seen a sore, or a worm for that matter. Any advice is greatly appreciate because I'm really worried right now. Thank you.

On closer look, it does seem like it's receded a little bit. I just really can't tell. My mom said it definitely has, so maybe I've just lost it lol.

I wish I had something helpful to say. It's awful not to know exactly what is going on. I really hope you see some improvement soon....