• * Ammonia Level - 0
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level - 4
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 76
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 76
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * Water temperature? 75
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, 13 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Bio wheel 150 and a Penguin 15
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Twice a week, 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, around 2"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Pro-Ammonia Detox
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Homemade gel, twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi a while ago, currently at salt .1%,
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • Yes

I don't know what happened. I switched to a new agar agar recipe, and she was fine for 3 days, but yesterday started exclusively bottom sitting. I fed her peas, spinach this morning. Just tried feeding her peas again and she can't even get down one piece. I have no idea what to do. the area under her anus has started protruding, here's a picture:

HPIM2843.jpg

The food is just sitting in her mouth, she can't swallow it. I have no idea what to do.

Were the peas very soft? It takes my small guys a while to chew a pea if it is at all firm.

OK, stay calm, I know it's upsetting. We are here for you! It can take a while to chew. I do peas for 40 seconds too, and they are still quite firm when I feed. Her dorsal being up and no clamping of fins is a good sign. She is no where near dying. Is she right on the bottom? Or hovering just above the floor? Is there any redness around the lump on her butt?

Edited by Red

I've PM'd Trinket to ask her to take a look at this thread, just in case she misses it. Why is she not able to eat? Is she spitting it back out, or is she chewing but not swallowing? I think that she's very very impacted, and I think she can be fasted for a couple of days at least. Also, please make sure to take notice if she poops.

I don't have a calm bone in my body right now. I cut a pretty big pea in 4ths, then cut the 4th into 4ths and she's been able to keep down the 4 pieces. When she couldn't keep it down, she was chewing, it was literally just sitting in her mouth. She got two pieces in at a point, but spit everything out. The other thing that really freaks me out is Bernie won'y leave her side, which he did when my last fish died. He's also chasing her around and bumping her. He even sat on the bottom for about 5 seconds, which he's never done. I assume it could have been out of pity, not sure.

She's literally on the ground, not hovering in the slightest, all of her weight is on the ground. No redness around the anus as far as I can tell, or the bump for that matter.

I'm going to be in school all day tomorrow so I can't watch her all day. If I fast her, could it have ANY ill consequences, like if she's been misdiagnosed? When a fish seems to struggle getting up, my gut reaction is to feed, and starving goes completely against what I'd fathom

I think she was able to keep down the 1/4th of a pea when diced into 4, but can't 100% confirm because I didn't watch her the entire time. She looks a little perkier, but still horrible. Right now it's funny, her dorsal is 100% erect. So weird. I'm just praying she's just constipated, I'm so scared. I love these freakin' fish so much and I'm tried so hard to make them healthy.

No, fasting her will not hurt her at all. It does sound like she is very constipated/impacted from eating too much. So feeding more will not help!

A 3 day fast (which won't hurt Bernie either) and then a feeding of boiled spinach will help A LOT. You are not starving her. We all routinely fast our fish at least one day per week. I myself fast them on water change day and once a month I do a 3 day fast and on 4th day I feed peas only. This is healthy for them. Goldfish look like they are starving ALL the time. But giving in and feeding them more will hurt in the long run. A sick fish will get active for food too...but you have to resist over feeding her because it makes her move and YOU feel better.

Edited by Red

fasting your fish for a few days will not hurt it. That is where i would start and see if maybe trinket has a better solution when she chimes in.

This is just my opinion and observation, but fasting a goldfish for a couple of days does not cause harm. In contrast, over feeding can cause a lot of problems. I counsel patience, and fasting. Hopefully more help will arrive soon!

The reason I never fasted her is because if she missed literally ONE of two meals that day, I know within 12 hours she was bottom sitting. So my feeling was she wasn't getting enough food for whatever reason, and that fasting her would kill her, or at least make ruin any energy she might have. I don't know if that's just really poor rationale or what, but that was my rationale at the time.

For the record, I'm 100% NOT saying I won't do it. Just explaining why I haven't in the past. I'm not being closed minded here at all, I just want to make my fish better.

For the record, I'm 100% NOT saying I won't do it. Just explaining why I haven't in the past. I'm not being closed minded here at all, I just want to make my fish better.

I know that :)

Alright, just making sure. I hate people that ask for help and are closed minded and I'm genuinely not trying to be that person. I just attempt to explain everything I did and why.

Aww, I'm sorry your sweet fish is having these problems. I'm sure you already know that you are getting the best help possible from dnalex, Red and Patti. If it makes you feel better, I've seen my fish chew on peas for a very long time. Apparently, I was feeding them too big and too hard, and they would sit and chew and sit and chew, and it would freak me out. I hope she gets better soon. Hang in there. :hug

Aww, I'm sorry your sweet fish is having these problems. I'm sure you already know that you are getting the best help possible from dnalex, Red and Patti. If it makes you feel better, I've seen my fish chew on peas for a very long time. Apparently, I was feeding them too big and too hard, and they would sit and chew and sit and chew, and it would freak me out. I hope she gets better soon. Hang in there. :hug

Thank you. She normally handles peas well, but I think a combination of her being backed up and the pea being larger than normal made it a problem. Chopping it up seemed to help. Just hope she gets cleared out soon, I'm a mess, frankly. I care too much for a 24 year old man haha.

I'm so sorry... I'm not much help here but I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and your fish. Sending positive thoughts. I hope she is ok.

I'm so sorry... I'm not much help here but I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and your fish. Sending positive thoughts. I hope she is ok.

Thank you, means a lot to me.

I found this page while googling anything I could think of, and it seems extremely similar to what Gabby is experiencing:

http://thegab.org/in...php&f=4&t=18460

Funny enough the site is called the gab, maybe it's a sign? Anyway, the same area appears swollen on this fish as well. Wish the conclusion was posted but for all accounts and purposes the fish seemed to improve.

This picture in particular looks strikingly similar to Gabby:

DSCN1325.png

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

That was our conclusion earlier, as well, but I think it is best to wait for a few more experienced people to advise. For now, don't feed her. Hang in there.

That was our conclusion earlier, as well, but I think it is best to wait for a few more experienced people to advise. For now, don't feed her. Hang in there.

Sorry, soon to be a lawyer and we're taught to make the same argument with new support as many times as humanly possible haha. Just substantiating it a bit. She's not getting fed, and I'm slowly going insane haha. The only thing that's keeping me from gulping myself to death is knowing she'll die if I do haha.

I wish there is something that can be done right away, but for me, it's much better to wait to get all the possible input from people before formulating a strategy. There are a few more people whom I would like to at least see the thread. Don't gulp.

Johnny you are a kind person to be so upset when your little goldfish isn't feeling well. :heart Best wishes for her.

I wish there is something that can be done right away, but for me, it's much better to wait to get all the possible input from people before formulating a strategy. There are a few more people whom I would like to at least see the thread. Don't gulp.

No promises on not gulping. Understood, just trying to pool as much info as humanly possible. Looking forward to getting more info, but you know you're always appreciated ;)

Johnny you are a kind person to be so upset when your little goldfish isn't feeling well. :heart Best wishes for her.

Haha thank you, I'm just a big sensitive little fellow. When I lost my first one...I was not a pleasant site...you would think I was a teenie watching the Titanic for the first time...

I think you are very caring and want to do the best for Gabby. I know how hard it is to sit & wait. :)

Absolutely nothing wrong in being a kind, sensitive man. We need more of you in this World. :)

So while we wait...how about more details about your set-up. Any gravel? Sand? Plants, real or fake, hollow ornaments? Air stones/bubble walls?

I know how hard it is to have a fish who is not doing well :) I hope you guys can get this figured out soon, she is such a cutie. I will be watching this thread and thinking of you!