Sea monkeys/brine shrimp.

chaz

So I have a red and a red cap (who I'm sure is slowly turning into a red and white) oranda, their base food is tetra gold fish, gold Japan, but I'm trying to make their diet more varied, they currently also have blood worms twice a week, and the odd pea, and I'm gonna have a look round at other Veg for them, and I try to keep some small cheap plants in the tank for them, but I was wondering, would it be good for them if I get them some brine shrimp for them to eat? If I keep a little tank of them and feed them once or twice a week? Or would that be bad or too much for them?

I have found that live brine are a great addition to any fish's diet!

However, keeping a whole tank can be kinda costly. They need special food, and brine (eg very salty) water to live. Honestly, what I did when I was feeding live brine was buy a bag of adults, keep em in the fridge and feed them about once a day. They live for a week in the fridge, no feeding necessary. And you can continue to feed your goldfish anything else that you normally do, as brine shrimp aren't the most nutritious food.....

But if you are just worried about variety, you can buy frozen brine shrimp...much simpler!

You can get frozen brine shrimp from P@H, they also do daphnia, bloodworms, black larvae, white larvae and a tropical mix (which is basically 5 blocks of each instead of 5 blocks the same). You can buy five packets for a tenner which is pretty good - or at least thats the price it was last time I bought some. It lasts for ages in the freezer. You can also get it in the fish section at Dobbies Garden Centre, for a slightly higher price. :)