filter preventing treatment

Pontosfan

Ah right, and clearly P@H employees are very knowledgeable and wouldn't just be trying to sell you things. [/sarcasm]

Very experienced and knowledgable members are trying to help but you don't seem to understand that. You are fixated on adding a medicine to a tank where it is most likely completely unneccesary.

Your filters are definitely not cycled, the reading of nitrite shows that. I dread to think what the ammonia reading could be. If you sorted the water then most likely you will sort the bloody streaks.

If you are so obsessed with adding the medication (whatever it may be) then good luck to you. Perhaps try putting your old filter in instead, unless it is pure carbon and zeolite too.

Can you seriously not read how rude you come across?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then, let's say I follow the advice here. The only piece of advice I've been given being shove something home made into my filter. Fine. Say I do that, and it breaks, which it probably will, then I'm buggered. End of story, end of goldfish.

If you read my previous reply I have also told you a way to still use your cartridges without the carbon (you just cut it open and empty it out).

The vast majority of people here do not use cartridges and it has not broken a filter. I actually looked up your filter on youtube before I suggested this to you to make sure you would be able to and there was even a video of someone who had put some non -cartridge filter media in place of one of the 3 cartridges of the marina filter. It can be done :)

People moaning at me, putting me down and then accusing me of being rude.

If one person calls you rude... he/she may be wrong, if two do it they maybe wrong... anymore than that... its time to introspect

Dude, I never said they were paid and i fail to see where I;ve been rude. I think I've polite and friendly even though I get the feeling people on this forum don;t like helping me and the fact that my fish might be dying.

I like this forum. I really do. The people on it seem nice and friendly, I get to see pictures of lots of pretty goldfish and people are always eager to help others. Except that it seems whenever I've asked for help I get this. People moaning at me, putting me down and then accusing me of being rude. Well, let's just forget I said anything. Go back to playing your games of "Have you ever..." and telling each other how pretty their goldfish are. I'll try and care for my fish as best I can without the help you all seem to offer to each other so readily.

Maybe we don't like helping you because whenever we try to help and give you the best advice we possibly can, you never listen to us and instead just start accusing us of being mean to you.

Your filters are definitely not cycled, the reading of nitrite shows that. I dread to think what the ammonia reading could be. If you sorted the water then most likely you will sort the bloody streaks.

Well, like I said, the Nutarfin Cycle (which said it could be used for goldfish tanks) said it would be. And the instructions with the testing strips said that amount of nitrite is fine.

So please tell me how to "sort the water".

No, I told you on the previous page that we usually do a large water change and if you have 0 ammonia, then you add to 0.1% salt - but without you telling us the test result for ammonia I can not advise to do so.

As long as the tank is not fully cycled, you will have to do daily 50% water changes to keep the toxins out, and then do 50% water changes weekly.

You might consider a water change too, but please make sure your tank and tap pH match before you do. I bet that would clear the bloody streaks up if you do daily water changes until your tank is cycled (which you will need an ammonia test to be able to know). I know the tank is new and you don't usually do water changes as frequently as I'm suggesting, but I really do think the streaks you are seeing are a water quality issue and not an illness.

The link to the DIY filter media will not break your filter. It is the same thing as the cartridge, just without the carbon, zeolite and plastic. With the addition of some ceramic media, which cannot do anything to break your filter. All it does is sit there and grow good bacteria. It doesn't ram into the walls of your filter or pull out jackhammers or anything, promise. ;)

Since we've all done it without our filters breaking, I'm gonna say your fine unless your filter's made of cardboard...

Haha Mandie, that made me giggle! :)

Pontosfan, red streaks in the fins do not necessarily indicate an infection. Red streaks are dilated blood vessels, which can also enlarge when you have a lot of nitrites, nitrates, and/or other stress. Considering the state of your tank, I am much less inclined to conclude an infection that requires meds, but rather water quality issues that require immediate attention to fixing water issues. Adding meds to the water is likely to worsen things in this case, actually.

Dude, I never said they were paid and i fail to see where I;ve been rude. I think I've polite and friendly even though I get the feeling people on this forum don;t like helping me and the fact that my fish might be dying.

I like this forum. I really do. The people on it seem nice and friendly, I get to see pictures of lots of pretty goldfish and people are always eager to help others. Except that it seems whenever I've asked for help I get this. People moaning at me, putting me down and then accusing me of being rude. Well, let's just forget I said anything. Go back to playing your games of "Have you ever..." and telling each other how pretty their goldfish are. I'll try and care for my fish as best I can without the help you all seem to offer to each other so readily.

Maybe we don't like helping you because whenever we try to help and give you the best advice we possibly can, you never listen to us and instead just start accusing us of being mean to you.

So you admit you are purposefuly not wanting to help me. Which is what I suspected. You know, you may not like me, But I didn't think you'd let living beings die because of it.

Ok, to your defense about the room for the media I have to day that the Marina Slim filters have basically no room for media - which is why among goldfish keepers these are not recommended for goldfish. They are great filters for bettas and smaller tropical setups.

Since goldfish produce much waste, filters with a lot of room for media are recommended and used by pretty much all of us. HOB filters like the Aquaclear and Whisper EX are great.

The Marina Slim do not cost much, but on the long run will not provide enough space for biological filtration in a goldfish tank.

So you admit you are purposefuly not wanting to help me. Which is what I suspected. You know, you may not like me, But I didn't think you'd let living beings die because of it.

I have no control over whether your fish live or die. That is completely up to you, and everyone here is doing their best to help you keep them alive. Yet I'm seeing you reject their advise time and again (and this has been a recurring pattern for you). So at this point, I feel I would be wasting my time trying to help you. I want to help you and I want your fish to live, but you continue to refuse help. It seems like every thread you start on this forum becomes an argument because of your argumentative and rude attitude.

The bright side is... changing this situation for yourself is very easy. All you have to do is listen very carefully to the advise you've been given, and follow it. I think most people here are fairly forgiving, and if you change your attitude people will enjoy helping you more in the future.

Ok, to your defense about the room for the media I have to day that the Marina Slim filters have basically no room for media - which is why among goldfish keepers these are not recommended for goldfish. They are great filters for bettas and smaller tropical setups.

Since goldfish produce much waste, filters with a lot of room for media are recommended and used by pretty much all of us. HOB filters like the Aquaclear and Whisper EX are great.

The Marina Slim do not cost much, but on the long run will not provide enough space for biological filtration in a goldfish tank.

I see. I normally go with Fluval. The only reason I went with these is because they came with the tank (indeed, the lid is cut specifically to accomodate them). I don't like them and was thinking of some how going back to fluval anyway. Would this help? How would I do this (with regards to building up the good bacteria in a new filter)? Perhaps I should put them back in their old tank for now (which is tsill running) and start again with the new one with a new filter?

EDIT: If this is a water quality issue, why is one fish completely unaffected?

Edited by Pontosfan

I see. I normally go with Fluval. The only reason I went with these is because they came with the tank (indeed, the lid is cut specifically to accomodate them). I don't like them and was thinking of some how going back to fluval anyway. Would this help? How would I do this (with regards to building up the good bacteria in a new filter)? Perhaps I should put them back in their old tank for now (which is tsill running) and start again with the new one with a new filter?

EDIT: If this is a water quality issue, why is one fish completely unaffected?

Some fish are more easily affected than others. Sooner or later he will probably get it too :(

Would it technically work to put a different filter on your tank? I am not familiar with your model, and I know some tanks are a big pain in the rear when it comes to trying to fit a different filter on it. If you can get it to work somehow, I would do it.

And if it somehow works (maybe even take the cover of the tank off if possible at all) simply add your old filter onto the new tank and have all the filters run on it together. That gives you some extra filtration, and hopefully the beneficial bacteria in your old filter are still alive (they can die off quickly when there is no ammonia to feed on).

Other than that I would leave them in their new tank, and do the suggested 50% daily water changes. The Nutrafin Cycle has already done a decent job pushing your cycle along, so with these daily water changes you will keep the fish safe for now. You will probably even see some improvement with the bloody streaks very quickly.

Just FYI, about 90% of the fish problems discussed on this forum are problems caused by water quality - and are resolved by simply upping the filtration and/or water changes :) Clean water is the absolute number 1 thing to keep your fish healthy and to help them recover from illness.

EDIT: Just like Mandie said. Some fish are more sensitive than others. But often it doesn't take long until the reamining fish display problems too.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Pontosfan, my suggestion:

- it's unfortunate that's this thread has gotten very antagonistic. Let us, in the spirit of helping our beloved fish, start over. Everyone here is just trying to help. Why don't you start over, with a new thread? Answer those D&D questions, and we go from there. Don't be hasty in adding meds, since you can always add, but harder to take away.

Edit: I'll turn the question around on you. If you think this is an infection, why is one fish completely unaffected? :)

Edited by dnalex

And the Ph is included among these water quality issues. Goldfish should have at very minimum a Ph of 7.0.

Because your kh is low as well this means your water does not naturally have enough minerals/buffering capacity to keep Ph stable on its own.

I really think it is important to buffer your water. Even if it hasn't caused you issues yet, that doesn't mean it won't at some point, and it could kill your fish.

Pontosfan, I'm sorry if I came off as rude. I was just bummed that it seemed like you weren't paying attention to people who were trying to help. We all care about your fish, and hope they feel better very soon. :) best of luck!