Sign in to follow this  
Charms

Redecorating the 40breeder...

1. What do you guys think about lighting? The LED lights particularly. Or do you prefer the t5 bulbs? Do the LED's support plant growth?

I think your tank looks amazing :) I LOVE your background :) and the sand and plants/rocks are great too :) your fish really pop now :)

I think your tank looks amazing :) I LOVE your background :) and the sand and plants/rocks are great too :) your fish really pop now :)

oops sorry double post :(

Edited by shellbell4ever

1. What do you guys think about lighting? The LED lights particularly. Or do you prefer the t5 bulbs? Do the LED's support plant growth?

The tank looks really nice! :)

If you are planning on plants I would personally stay away from an LED based fixture. I tried to do research on using LEDs for plant growth when I was setting up my betta tank and I think that it can work, but it has to be the right type of LED with the right spectrum to support growth and I just don't think the technology is quite there yet or at least it is difficult to figure out which LEDs are the correct type for plant growth (although perhaps there are some specific brands that others know of that would work). All I know is that I was sold and LED fixture for my betta tank and the pet store said that it was great for plants etc., but when I got home and researched it, it really wasn't.

I think you are best going with a more standard lighting setup if you want to grow plants (like the T5's), but I will be interested in what others think, as my understanding of LEDs is pretty limited ;)

Charms, unless i am mistaken i think you are talking about the same thing, Doesnt TMS refer to Tahitian moon sand which is made by Caribsea?

Yea tms is Tahitian Moon Sand which is made by Caribsea. I was asking because I didn't know. That's what's so great about this forum - you can ask silly questions and everyone is so helpful!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Ok here is the lighting situation. I returned the first fixture I had because while I didn't like the moonlight LEDs that never turned off I found out one of the bulbs was an 'actinic3' which I googled and learned it was for coral fluorescence - meaning it was intended for marine tanks. And the real issue was it made my tank a weird cloudy bluish color and I didn't like that either. So we returned it to the store -which only give store credit. We paid $130 for that first fixture. The freshwater fixture is only $70.

So even tho my hubby was pissed I was able to get the freshwater fixture, a new black bendable bubble wand and a few other small things all on credit!! And I still have like $20 in store credit that I plan to use for plants!! So it actually worked out as a major bonus for me!!

The new fixture is the same brand as the other 'SolarMax HE' and still has the double t5 bulbs. Which are a

10,000k Daylight lamp & a

6,700k Daylight lamp.

I honestly don't know what that means - the box says they are both 21W bulbs.

This fixture also has the moonlight LEDs that don't turn off. I still don't like this feature but they didn't have any other options.. So I have just been unplugging the light at night... And this was a great lesson to do more research first - AND NEVER TRUST THE PEOPLE THAT WORK AT THE STORE!! LOL

So by my calculations that gives me 1.05 watts per gallon - right? Lol

Ok here is the lighting situation. I returned the first fixture I had because while I didn't like the moonlight LEDs that never turned off I found out one of the bulbs was an 'actinic3' which I googled and learned it was for coral fluorescence - meaning it was intended for marine tanks. And the real issue was it made my tank a weird cloudy bluish color and I didn't like that either. So we returned it to the store -which only give store credit. We paid $130 for that first fixture. The freshwater fixture is only $70.

So even tho my hubby was pissed I was able to get the freshwater fixture, a new black bendable bubble wand and a few other small things all on credit!! And I still have like $20 in store credit that I plan to use for plants!! So it actually worked out as a major bonus for me!!

The new fixture is the same brand as the other 'SolarMax HE' and still has the double t5 bulbs. Which are a

10,000k Daylight lamp & a

6,700k Daylight lamp.

I honestly don't know what that means - the box says they are both 21W bulbs.

This fixture also has the moonlight LEDs that don't turn off. I still don't like this feature but they didn't have any other options.. So I have just been unplugging the light at night... And this was a great lesson to do more research first - AND NEVER TRUST THE PEOPLE THAT WORK AT THE STORE!! LOL

Argh!! :blowup: That's the light I have...I didn't do enough research either about the actintic (sp bulb). I think I'll have to buy a new bulb for it, since the time to return it has passed. I can't imagine what they were thinking about the always on LED's. At least they don't use must energy to run! Since the light strip will be on a timer, that will take care of it.

Good lesson: Always do more research!! :no:

Your tank looks really good and I look forward to seeing it with the new plants once you get them.

mj

Edited by mjbubbles

MJ - I feel your pain. I didn't just buy a new bulb for the first fixture because it cost $60 more than the freshwater one.. And I only had mine for 24hrs before returning it. Lol. I am loving the new tank set up too - Thank you. Hopefully I will be gettin more plants this weekend. :P I will definitely be setting up the new bubbler soon too so you know new pics will follow! Let me know how you like the crazy brightness of your new light!!

This is a super old thread but thought I would post an update...

I recently set up a Fluval 306 canister filter - which is amazing!!

Have taken down the ac 20 hob but left the ac 70 running w/ 2 smaller sponges & a big philodendron plant in it. All my old media went into the canister.

Still have the black tms, same heater & light set up.

The original plants didn't work out.. Have had only the big rock w/ the anubias on it forever.. But I just added more rocks & anubias. They are just way to destructive for other plants..

My big white goldie passed away last week. I'm sad but relieved. She was so floaty and it was so stressful to see her struggling all the time. My other 2 are fat and happy as can be.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry to hear of your goldie passing, but the all the changes sound exciting! We demand a video! :)