Bleach to sterilize tank

npila1

Ok I'll do that.

Most sources online say it's ok to use bleach and pp in acrylic tanks so I guess I will plan on doing that. Is it ok to bleach the tank, let it dry really well, rinse it multiple times, and then run it with pp for 8-12 hours? I know that some chemicals should not be combined or used in succession, so I just want to make sure I don't cause an explosion in my living room :P

bleach (NaOCl) breaks down into oxygen (O^2) and salts (NaCl). As long as it the bleach left behind 100% dries out in the PP will and cannot not react with it because all thats left is salt lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have thoroughly sterilized the tank (with both bleach and pp) and it looks sparkling clean! Thanks for everyone's advice.

Now that the tank and all the ornaments, equipment, etc are sterilized, the only possible source of parasites will be my fish (when I transfer them from the temporary tank back to the main tank). I was thinking of doing a HP dip before adding them to the main tank and then maybe adding a dose of prazi immediately after (in the main tank) just in case there are still some adults alive on them (I'm assuming no eggs will be transferred over on them?). Does this sound like a reasonable (and effective) plan?

Thanks again for all the tips so far! :)

Just as a tidbit of chemistry bleach degrades to only salt and water.. So if you allow everything to fully dry out there is no chance of harmful chems being introduced to your fish. Just need a light rinsing to remove excess salt :)

Ok I'll do that.

Most sources online say it's ok to use bleach and pp in acrylic tanks so I guess I will plan on doing that. Is it ok to bleach the tank, let it dry really well, rinse it multiple times, and then run it with pp for 8-12 hours? I know that some chemicals should not be combined or used in succession, so I just want to make sure I don't cause an explosion in my living room :P

bleach (NaOCl) breaks down into oxygen (O^2) and salts (NaCl). As long as it the bleach left behind 100% dries out in the PP will and cannot not react with it because all thats left is salt lol.

This doesn't sound quite right to me. Drying isn't inherently a chemical reaction, so there shouldn't necessarily be products that differ from the beginning compound, i.e. dried salt water leaves salt (not necessarily bleach). It is possible for unstable compounds with a short half-life to be de-activated in the amount of time it takes to dry something out, but the drying isn't causing the change in the compound.

This article (http://sci301.uvi.edu/Waste/HouseholdWaste.html) states,

"bleach its antisceptic qualitities by reacting with the cell walls of living microbes. It is also the chlorine gas that gives bleach its odor. If allowed to evaporate, chlorine escapes, leaving behind NaCl (table salt) and NaOH. The white powdery substance left from evaporated bleach is a combination of these ionic compounds."

That sodium hydroxide is a dangerous ionic compound, and can be harmful to even people. You may be able to get away with bleaching, allowing your stuff to dry, and then rinsing vigorously, but you may be getting away because bleach is water soluble and you are simply washing it all away.

I'm no chemist, and you may very well be right about bleach simply leaving NaCl Behind, does anybody have any proof of this though? I am currently soaking a tank and am a bit skeptical.