Sign in to follow this  
nicholastiwari@yahoo.com

Spinach

Hey guys,

I got some spinach because I noticed that my fish love peas. So I put it in the tank, and one fish loved it, but the other guy just ignored it. I'd like to give them foods to supplement their diet, but I don't know how to get the goldy who doesn't like it to try it. Also, I heard spinach is harmful to goldfish. Is this true?

I feed a lot of spinach to my goldfish because i think it is the best natural laxative.

Did you put the leaf on a veggie clip or just throw it in the tank? I have some fish who like to eat it from the clip and others who like to chase little pieces of it around :)

You must also cook the spinach really well :)

Spinach is fine. It supposedly contains a component that will keep you (or the fish) from absorbing calcium, but you (or the fish) would have to eat massive amounts of spinach in order to actually develop any problems.

Other than that, fish love spinach. At least mine do!

I use a clip for all my treats/veggies it might take some time for them to figure out what it is at first too ;)

Yup true about the calcium. It's because of oxalates. For example my tortoises must never eat spinach for this reason :) But they have a shell to grow lolol!

Yeah it has to be wilted down or it will be too hard for them to eat, and it took my fish a while to understand it was food, but once they figured it out..... it was crazy haha. They gobble it right up now

I would suggest either rubbing a little garlic juice on the spinach before you put it in the tank, this often makes veggies a little more enticing to the picky eaters.

I would suggest either rubbing a little garlic juice on the spinach before you put it in the tank, this often makes veggies a little more enticing to the picky eaters.

That's a really good idea. Mine eat spinach but it takes them a while to figure out it's food. I'm going to try this. I think that Helen suggested freezing the spinach instead of cooking it. This has worked really well. It wilts the spinach. Just pop a couple of leaves in the freezer for a while, and viola.

I made a new batch of gel food and I put heaps of spinach in it, my fish go wild for it! Yummy! :)