Cause of rubbing/itching?

watisfish

I don't think this is anything crazy - but I wanted to check on anything I should pay attention to/keep an eye on...

Anyways, my goldfish have kind of been rubbing up against their plants lately, or up against the silicone in the corners like they have an itch. It isn't always, but it is something I have noticed from time to time. I've read through all the diseases and it doesn't seem like they fit into anything... I thought it could be ich, but there are no other signs apart from the occasional rub against one another, the plants, or the silicone.

None of them fin clamp or anything or really give any signs that they are stressed - so I am kind of at a loss.

Another thing to note is that my cycle recently got messed up... I had friends over and left the filter unplugged after doing a water change... Terrible, I know... So, I went from a 0 ammonia tank to having to do water changes fairly frequently. There is still a decent amount of nitrates, and I'm sure there are BBS in the media - but it definitely took a hit. There is a breeder locally that said I can get some healthy media from him to help jumpstart it again if it doesn't fix itself soon enough.

SO - long story short: my water params are off, the goldies don't act stressed in the slightest (I'm the stressed one), and they occassionally rub against things in the tank.

Any thoughts on this? Is this fairly normal goldie behavior? Should I start a precautionary salt treatment or something?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

• Supporter

hi there,

can you answer the questions in the white box above? just so that we can get a better idea of the current set up your fish are living in. have you ever treated the current crew you have for flukes?

your avatar details say you have 0 goldfish. how many do you actually have currently?

Hey!

Sorry, I can't fill that out til I get home - but last night, I was at:

Nitrates: 20

Nitrites: 0

PH: 7.5

Hardness: 120-160 (using paper testers)

Ammonia was at around 1, and I performed a water change

I have three fish (you can see pictures in the "tank additions" picture thread that I think you posted in); they are in a 25 gallon... which I know is a tad overstocked, but it has never had crazy water params and I do frequent water changes to compensate. I'm currently shopping for a larger tank to upgrade them into.

Anyways, they have been in the tank for about three or four months with no new additions. There are two anubias in the tank that I treated with bleach prior to adding - but those were added before the fish.

Can these critters just manifest and infect my fish? Anyways - keep me posted with any ideas! I've got no problem doing a precautionary treatment or something if that would be good.

Thanks!

EDIT: Link with pictures of my fish (current) http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97011-tank-additions/

Edited by watisfish

How are the fish doing now? Are they still rubbing?

I'm thinking this is probably related to the ammonia. Ammonia is highly acidic and so it is literally burning your fishes' skin. That would make anybody itch!

Clean water and daily (or even twice daily) water changes should fix them up.

If they are still flashing after you get your cycle back under control, we should talk about another possibility.

Just to be clear, they did start doing this AFTER you lost your cycle, right?

How are the fish doing now? Are they still rubbing?

I'm thinking this is probably related to the ammonia. Ammonia is highly acidic and so it is literally burning your fishes' skin. That would make anybody itch!

Clean water and daily (or even twice daily) water changes should fix them up.

If they are still flashing after you get your cycle back under control, we should talk about another possibility.

Just to be clear, they did start doing this AFTER you lost your cycle, right?

Yup, they started donig it after my cycle went wonky.

I didn't think about the Ammonia being the issue, that's a good insight into the problem! I will keep up with the water changes until the cycle gets back into full force. As the days have gone on there has definitely been less itching, so I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I will keep everyone posted!

Thanks for the help! My girlfriend always jokes that I am more stressed about my fish than my fish have ever been about themselves... but I can't help but want the best for them!