Nerite Snails

hey guys!

just a quick question!

my bf's nerite snail doesn't seem to be eating. what do these guys usually eat? I have given him algae wafers so far. he also isn't very active.

Oh no. I hope my guy is okay then... I really have pretty much no algae in my tank. I don't scrub it or anything I just really don't get any... I only get it about 2 weeks ago and it just seems be really slow and i've never seen t even aproach food

I had the same problem! Algae wafers untouched. BUT zucchini did the trick. I put a slice of organic zucchini in there --held down with a food clip, as otherwise it floats--and they found it in a few hours and went to town. Which reminds me that I need to remove the sorry remains tonight and give them a fresh slice. :)

I have owned tracked nerites before and tbh they never went for anything I put in the tank, including courgette, but thats not to say others wont, mine just seemed disinterested!

They are primarily algae browsers though, so its important not to scrub the tank and let them take care of it for you. I used to scrub the front pane and leave the rest for the snails. Algae isnt always visible though so dont panic, it includes biofilm, diatoms and micro-algae.

Trying to tempt them with various veg is never a bad idea though :) like everything a varied diet wont hurt them.

These snails can be pretty sensitive to water quality too so if they seem unresponsive or move to the surface then you might wanna check params just incase.

One thing that I find is SUPER important though, is to make sure you bring home healthy specemins, many lfs tanks are totally devoid of all algaes because they constantly clean and medicate water, so often these snails are starved before you get them home and then its hard to get them to perk back up no matter how hard you try :(

(actually I find this applies to many inverts).

Good luck with your nerites - theyre wonderful tank additions!

Edited by Lucerne

Oh I am not sure he ate any of the zucchini. I will check with bf. Might be that he has to go in the turtle tank which has lots of yummy green algae!

My turtles are pretty harmless :) THey already have a colony of pet/pest snails in there. The nerite doesn't even come out of the shell much, unlike my awesome apple snail! Poor guy...