Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Betta Tank Update - New Plants :)

Just an update on my betta tank :) I got some new lighting (2 fluval 13 watt compact florescents) and am trying out the fluval mini co2 kit (not sure if I will keep it, I don't like how big the diffuser is). The baby tears have been in there for 2 weeks now, but I am still fully expecting them to die, it is more of an experiment of whether or not I can keep them alive :P

Current Plants:

mat of dwarf baby tears

Dwarf hairgrass

crypt parva

dwarf sag

Italian val

flame moss

java fern

and I am embarrassed to say I am trying a moss wall again, I'm sure it won't work, just like it didn't work the last time (some of it is already turning brown :( ) I just soooo want a moss wall :( (it's christmas moss)

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

Lookin' good! Don't be embarassed about the moss wall. If at first you don't succeed and all! I love the dbt. We have some in the Christmas glofish tank, but they aren't doing much except getting covered by algae.

Do those lights hang right on the edge of a regular plastic-rimmed tank?

Lookin' good! Don't be embarassed about the moss wall. If at first you don't succeed and all! I love the dbt. We have some in the Christmas glofish tank, but they aren't doing much except getting covered by algae.

Do those lights hang right on the edge of a regular plastic-rimmed tank?

Thanks for the words of encouragement ;)

The lights do not fit on the black plastic rim unfortunately. That is the one thing I don't like about them. I actually have them rigged up on the glass canopy.

The Baby Tears look like they're so healthy tithra, why do you expect them to die?

'Looks good. I hope your moss wall works out for you, that would be really neat! You've got a nice looking PK boy btw. ;)

That's amazing, tithra! I love how green it is! Excellent job :)

Thanks everyone :D

The Baby Tears look like they're so healthy tithra, why do you expect them to die?

'Looks good. I hope your moss wall works out for you, that would be really neat! You've got a nice looking PK boy btw. ;)

I expect them to die because it seems like they are notoriously difficult to keep plants, they were very beautiful and green when I got them, but I just don't know how long that will last. I barely know what I am doing in terms of co2 and dosing ferts ;)

Looks really, really nice! (What is the clear plastic thing in the right corner--is it for CO2? )

I would love a moss wall, too.

Looks really, really nice! (What is the clear plastic thing in the right corner--is it for CO2? )

I would love a moss wall, too.

yeah, that's the Co2 diffuser. I hate how big it is :(

Looks good Tithra!

I love how your snail is faceplanting into the dbt lol.

Those big diffusers are kind of mind boggling on "mini" co2 kits, hard to conceal in small tanks, but they seem to perform well!

I think the important thing with a moss wall is having good water current over it. Moss never does well in low-flow areas, at least for me anyway.

Good luck with it all!

Lookin' good! Just be patient, the moss wall will be amazing. Can you replace the diffuser or is it more like a reactor? I was looking at pictures that another member posted of that set up and it looks like the Co2 comes in little tanks? Maybe you could buy a cheapo glass diffuser off of ebay and not use that big ol thing??????? I have one that cost ten bucks including shipping. You don't notice it at all.

Lookin' good! Just be patient, the moss wall will be amazing. Can you replace the diffuser or is it more like a reactor? I was looking at pictures that another member posted of that set up and it looks like the Co2 comes in little tanks? Maybe you could buy a cheapo glass diffuser off of ebay and not use that big ol thing??????? I have one that cost ten bucks including shipping. You don't notice it at all.

I don't know the difference between a diffuser and a reactor :) I don't know if I could replace it or not, how this one works is you fill up the two chambers every day with co2, then close off the co2 cartridge, so I am not sure if this setup would work with other types of diffusers or not.... my co2 knowledge is so incredibly rudimentary :idont

Are you using excel? That might improve the changes of the baby tears.

Looks great.

Are you using excel? That might improve the changes of the baby tears.

Looks great.

I have excel and was using before I added the Co2 diffuser, I haven't used it since though because I didn't want to do too much, I am such a newb to all this :)

Edited by tithra

Ahh ok if you have co2 you don't need excel.