anyone ever keep shrimp with bettas?

xchairity_casex

i was wondering if anyones ever kept shrimp with there bettas? if so was the tank heavily planted? not so heavily planted? how did they get on? did the betta attack or pick at the shrimp ever?

ive got a male betta in a 10 gallon tank and would like jsut a little more life in there perferably shrimps either ghosts,cherry or amanos not sure yet but would like some opinions about it?

thank you!

I would blame the betta! :( Even with lots of hiding places the shrimp will feel stress if the betta hunts them, or worse if he picks on them. Personally I wouldn't put shrimp in with a betta.

It's a totally unpredictable situation I'm afraid. It's completely dependent on the individual Betta's disposition, and you won't know untill you try. If you choose to do so, I'd start out with Ghost Shrimps for the obvious reason, lol. They'd likely have the best chance at living alongside a Betta as opposed to a Cherry or Crystal Red etc. considering they can blend in better with their environment. I would definitely recommend a heavily planted environment. Not only would it serve as added protection for them, it would provide a stimulating environment for them and their Betta tankmate. Out of all the Bettas I've had, only one got along famously with my Ghosties.

I had a male betta in a 10 gal too and decided to put in a bunch of ghost shrimp. The betta immediately chased and pecked at them so I had to take them out right away. It wasn't heavily planted but those little guys are still hard to see!

Now I got a fun story to tell!

I was about to reply to this at 5am this morning. MIL has a 10g betta tank with a male betta and a mystery snail. Weeks ago I bought her 6 ghost shrimp, but they disappeared within days.

This morning I wanted to take a quick picture of the tank to show the amount of plants and hiding spaces for shrimp, to show how the betta STILL got them.

So what happens when I turn on the tank light? Two ghost shrimp right in front of me. LOL Maybe they are hiding at day time and come out at night when they are safe from the betta, I don't know. But until about 10 hours ago I was convinced for weeks that he ate all his "friends" :D

I have them in my tank with my Betta. No moss. (removed my moss ball to nurse it back to health. It is falling apart.) But not sure how well smaller shrimp like the red cherry shrimp would work. I have the larger ghost.