Year 2 at Kokos and all is well

Celebrated my 2nd year here yesterday, and thanks to all you knowledgeable folks all 3 single tails are still thriving.

In fact, I did a little eating experiment just the other day. Brought in a fresh navel orange off our orange tree, quartered it, and put an entire quarter in the tank. I pushed it sort of inside-out by pushing on the outside of the peel with my thumbs, in order to expose the fruit better......

.....uhhhmmmmmm, they ate the entire thing, flush to the rind, in maybe 3hrs.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help and support over the past 2 years!

I'll try to get a video up after the sun goes down, so there's less glare on the tank.

Sorry I'm not posting much. I check in from time to time, but don't always have anything to report that's interesting.

Mmm.....let's see. My Rio 90 pond pump grenaded. Something about the company putting a big motor in their smallest housing, with their small impeller, and then expecting the motor not to shear off the guts of the impeller. Sort of like putting a small block V-8 in a Ford Fiesta and expecting the body not to twist up like licorice when you romp on the go-fast peddle.

And, I've resigned myself to not buying any more live plants. These fish eat Anubias Nana like it's the last meal they've ever had and I'm tired of standing there thinking, "Oh, neat. There goes $9, ooh, and there goes another $9...." They're down to 3 white ribbon and when those are gone, that's it. Bums me out because I loved the tank when I had big Nanas, and an area of White Ribbons. But they just pull it all out, eat the roots off, and then start eating the leaves.

And, I've resigned myself to not buying any more live plants. These fish eat Anubias Nana like it's the last meal they've ever had and I'm tired of standing there thinking, "Oh, neat. There goes $9, ooh, and there goes another $9...."

:rofl

Will the pump company reimburse you??

Edited by Red

Almost as funny as believing that Kyoto Grass (Mondo Grass?) at PetBox is an underwater plant........and then watching those all get eaten and/or die.

I think I'll start feeding my fish neons. What a colorful show that would be.

Being in Michigan, you're at ground zero for these tanks. They come up on ebay all the time in that IL, MI, IA area.

If you get one that's not trashed like mine was, (glass horribly scratched) you can just reseal it from the inside with the Dow Corning 795 Building Sealant, give it a week to cure, and you're all set.

here, embedded

These guys are so gorgeous, some of my faves here on Koko's. Because of that I missed you around here, I always love seeing updates on these guys :D

Sucks that they are eating all the live plants. The mondo grass hadn't lasted long in my tank either when they discovered that with a bit of effort, they can literally chew the life out of the leaves :doh11:

Thanks guys!! Glad you like them and the video. Thought I'd try something close up, and HD, just to see how it would turn out. They were funny because when I stayed back and took a video of the entire tank, they were roaming around eating algae off the back wall, digging through the gravel, etc. As soon as I got up close and they saw me, they were all about face time.

Oerba Yun Fang, thanks for embedding that. I put "media" in brackets before and after URL, what am I doing wrong?

Austinado, your fish & tank are definitely favorites of mine. They are just the picture of healthy & happy goldfish.

As for the YouTube link, you can just copy and paste the link into the post, and that should work.

They really have been doing well over the past 2 years. I've had a few scares though. The little Comet has had Dropsey 2 years in a row. Seems every Sept. she's gotten it. This past fall, it seems we also had a flare up of gill flukes. Not sure why, as nothing has been added to the tank. But thanks to the help here, things continue to go well.

They're always knocking scales off each other (as you could see in the video) but they grow back and are none the worse for wear.

Oerba Yun Fang, thanks for embedding that. I put "media" in brackets before and after URL, what am I doing wrong?

I've had this happen to me too. When you look at the original post, you see how it additionally has a url coding with the actual url, then the url again? I honestly don't know why it does that. I know it only does it to me when I copy the video link from the Google Chrome browser. When I copy it from Firefox, it works perfectly fine.

BTW I followed your example of feeding a full wedge of fruit. Fed them minneolas and they all were going crazy over it after they found out it's edible :D