need some serious advice.... 2 main questions!

I would like to say hi first of all... new to forum and am really excited by what i have seen so far...

first of all just to talk about my main tank... 46.8g bowfront tank with a marineland c360 and a marineland penguin 150 to filter... pretty well planted , have driftwood and some live rocks. i have 1 calico oranda, 1 blue oranda, 1 white and red ryukin and 1 red ryukin. a few snails. 2 34" life glo bulbs T5HO and a 20 inch air stone.

first questioin... would i be overdoing it by adding a school of about 9 white cloud minnows?? even with extra filtration i also do 20 - 25% water changes every 3rd day in my main tank... what do you guys think??

second question... i have read about having carbon in my filter and have come to the conclusion that it is probably not the BEST thing for my plants and is not doing anything too beneficial for me as i do constant water changes. what else can i put in my filter that will be more beneficial for my plants and fish?? i.e polishing pads?? ceramic balls?

thank you all in advance!! :)

Hello & welcome! :) glad you've joined us.

Here are my answer to your questions:

1. I wouldn't add the WCMs. As it is, you are a bit overstocked, so adding even the minnows isn't a good idea. Also, the goldfish will probably make meals of your minnows. Finally, at that stocking level, I would recommend that you do 75% WCs every 3-5 days. Large water changes are much better for your fish, and pose no harm.

2. I recommend bio-balls. This will help with high stocking levels. :)

Hello and welcome to Koko's!

I can't answer all your questions, but wil ltry my best:

Stocking: I wouldn't add the minnows. There should be a minimum of 10 gallons per fancy goldfish, that would be 40 gallons. What snails do you have? Apple / mystery snails? If so, keep in mind that these are messy snails, similar to goldfish. Because of that, mystery snails need 2 gallons per snail. How many do you actually have? Technically you have only room for the 4 goldfish and three mystery snails, and with that you are stocked to the max.

White Cloud Minnows grow to about 1.5 inches. That means each minnow needs a minimum of 1.5 gallons for himself. If you add 9, you need an additional 13.5 gallons just for the minnows.

The 20-25% w/c every 3 days are not as sufficient as you might think. By doing large water changes you remove a lot more toxins (nitrate) and bacteria than by doing these little ones. I personally would recommend that you already do 80% water changes weekly minimum at your current stocking level.

Filters: What media do you use? The disposable cartridges are a big scam. I don't know much about canister filters as I do not own one, but for the marineland go with DIY filter media, as described here. http://www.kokosgold...or-hob-filters/

The more media, the better. Just as long as it isn't so full that it obstructs the water flow :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Stocking issues aside, I can speak to minnows a bit. I have minnows in my tank, and the goldies tried really hard to eat them at first. Things have settled down now, but I think the key in my case is that I have a pretty big tank--5 feet long and 2 feet high. So, the minnows were able to take evasive action and the goldies now have given up chasing them for the most part. In a smaller tank, though, I'd be afaid that the story would have been diffferent. Someone else here had minnows and the goldfish started to eat them, so they ended up having to put a tank divider in the tank.

As for filter media, I do not use carbon, either. I'd only put it in if I needed to remove something from the water, like meds. But bioballs or ceramic media is great, lots of places for the beneficial bacteria to grow. All you need to do is swish it around in old tank water once in a while to rinse off the gunk that grows there. I put mine in a media bag to make this easy. What kind of filter do you have?

Would love to see pictures of your tank and fish!

Edited by spillie

should i put a layer of bio balls? and some ceramic rings? and then a polish pad? or how should i arrange this on tray?? the marineland c360 canister i have already had one top tray of bio balls and one tray of ceramic rings....?? my filter trays are as follows from bottom to top... coarse pads to trap big debris..... and then the carbon tray on top of it (which i want to change and add something else u advise on) and then a tray of bio balls on top of that... then a tray of ceramic rings on top of that and a tray with a polish pad at the very top before the water goes back to the tank..

so i guess i will keep the minnows in my other tank.. and just work on that...

How does the water pull through your filter? Does is pull water from the bottom up, or down before back up? If it is a regular HOB, then it probably does bottom up. So you would want the polish pads on the bottom and ceramic ring and bio balls on top. The order of the last two doesn't matter. With some canisters, you need to do the filter pads on top.

I would replace the carbon with polishing pads or finer sponge. The bigger debris will get caught in the coarse sponge you already have, the finer debris will be caught in the finer sponge or mesh where your carbon tray currently is, and you should get a lot less solids getting through to your solid media :)

lets see some pics! ;) I don't think i have anything else good to add. It looks like all the advice you have gotten i would say i agree with. The WCM no because they will only feed your goldies in the end. Replace the carbon with what you want. I would use filter floss or a filter pad of your choice. Welcome to koko's i hope you enjoy it as much here as i do!