Sign in to follow this  
blinky000

Building a cave for my axolotls

I've been debating doing something interesting with my axolotl tank and until recently I hadn't quite decided what. Well, I had a bit of a eureka moment earlier when the base of my old tank broke. It's an interesting shape, so I figured I could use the bits of glass, stick them to the back of the tank, put a mesh over it and grow some moss to create a natural looking cave.

Here's the tank as it is now:

DSCF2938.jpg

Here's the project tank that will be going to pieces with the bits that I'm going to save marked in red:

DSCF2940.jpg

And one with the mesh over the top. It makes for a much more natural shape and it's something for the moss to hold onto:

DSCF2941.jpg

I'm also debating maybe HC instead of the moss but I'm not sure how I'd attach it. The axolotls would probably turf it up before it had a chance to grow in. I'd love to make the tank multi levelled for them again. They seem bored with nothing to explore.

I'll keep updating this topic as I go along and let you know if it works. And if not, at least I made a valiant effort to recycle :laugh: Any comments and suggestions are of course welcome!

Sounds cool! Please update with pictures and your progress. :)

I can't even imagine the amount of water changes you have to do for those guys in that tank...my two alone are messier than my goldies and their tank is over filtered!

I think it's a neat idea, just make sure the edges have been made safe and all of that. Do you have anywhere it could grow until it's secure enough to be put in the axolotl tank?

I love your axolotls :)

I can't even imagine the amount of water changes you have to do for those guys in that tank...my two alone are messier than my goldies and their tank is over filtered!

I think it's a neat idea, just make sure the edges have been made safe and all of that. Do you have anywhere it could grow until it's secure enough to be put in the axolotl tank?

They're actually pretty low maintenance. I only feed them every 2-3 days though. And they're on a diet at the moment lol. I have a giant canister filter that came with the tank so I intend to lay it down flat and place the cave on top of it while the silicone dries. The tank is only half full most of the time anyway so it shouldn't be too hard (in theory!).

I thought it was all going terribly well to begin with. The blade slid down the first joint nicely, but the second one was a bit too tight so the blade actually snapped in half! And when I tried to take off the tape around the bottom of the tank, it went under my nail and somehow drew blood. It's going to be a troublemaker by the looks of it!

Houston, we have one! 10 points to anyone who can guess the film that came from ;)

DSCF2943.jpg

I love those white axolotls (isn't the term leucistic or something?), and that cave project is awesome!

Sorry about the injury but it sounds like it will be worth it long-term ! :)

I love those white axolotls (isn't the term leucistic or something?), and that cave project is awesome!

There's 3 leucistics in that tank, 1 wildtype and 1 golden albino right at the back. This is my girl tank with Jackie, Advocaat, Lola, Lucie and Tripod :) I have 3 wildtype boys in another tank called Bailey, Lou and Timmy. I'm very much into science and love learning about genetics, so when I breed them I tend to pick the parents based on the phenotype of the offspring :) Leucistics and albinos sell better on the whole, so the more of them I can get, the better!

In theory that tank should have been big enough for them but all the adults have so far grown to be significantly more than 30cm, which is pretty rare. If I can't give them a bigger tank, the least I can do is give them more area to walk around on. I'm actually quite excited about this project ^_^

It will be neat to see how it turns out--don't forget to post pictures!

AWeesome!!!!!!!!! I love axlotls! I've been wanting one lately because my profesor had them in his room and I was always interested in them more than whatever he was saying.. atleast 1/16 of the time... Just kidding...I think I was a good student... Rite Mr. B?? But seriously, they were sick

The sealant on the glass is now in the process of drying upstairs and I've reinforced it with another piece of glass in the middle. I've sewn all the mesh together with fishing line and cut it to size and now I'm just waiting on the xmas moss to arrive and put it all together ^_^

DSCF2949.jpg

I feel the need to apologise for my carpet. It was here when we moved in...

After HOURS of fiddly work, I finally got all the moss stitched in. The mesh is sitting in the tank tonight before it finally all gets put together tomorrow!

DSCF2985.jpg

DSCF2993.jpg

Ok, so I tied some more fishing line along the edges of the mesh, sellotaped it in place while the blob of glue dried like so:

DSCF3121.jpg

Now the glue has dried, I've taken the tape off and it's sitting in the tank until water change day so when the water level's low enough, I can dry the back wall and stick it on! It's being propped up by some bits of driftwood in the meantime and the girls are already getting some good use out of it :)

DSCF3127.jpg

Fun. What kind of moss is that? I am planning on doing the same thing with some java moss soon. I just can't talk myself into sitting down and doing it.

That's xmas moss. Lovely fluffy stuff