• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, I read that they start growing the wen at 3 - 4 months and it takes 1 - 2 years to fully develop it.

Is there any way to find out how old your (my) fish is? I got Spicey for a few weeks now, and I know it doesn't happen that fast, but I don't see a wen. I see that the skin is thicker on his head, but that's it. The fish is about 3 inches long now.

Then I read somewhere that bronze Oranda often don't grow a wen or only a small one. Any ideas?

That thicker skin on Spicey's head is the beginning of his wen. If I'm remembering correctly, Spicey is still a pretty small fish, right? Don't worry too much about his not having a wen yet -- ideally, you want a young, small fish to direct his energy to the growth of his body size and mass first. Long fins and well-developed headgrowth should come later.

Of course, some orandas and other supposed-to-be-wenned fish don't ever develop one, but the odds are definitely in your favor, especially given that thick skin showing up already.

• 3 years later...

I am looking to get an oranda, but I would love to get one that develops a long tail is there any way to tell when the fish is young if it will have a longer tail?

Hi there and welcome! :) You should start your own topic in the general goldfish discussion area :) you will get a lot more replies that way since this thread is quite old.

I am looking to get an oranda, but I would love to get one that develops a long tail is there any way to tell when the fish is young if it will have a longer tail?

Generally all Orandas will have long tails. If the fish has one tail it is usually shorter. 2 tails, usually long.

Generally all Orandas will have long tails. If the fish has one tail it is usually shorter. 2 tails, usually long.

Unless you are talking about Ryukin, Ranchu, or Lionhead. :)

Unless you are talking about Ryukin, Ranchu, or Lionhead. :)

Actually i hadnt thought of that, thanks.

• 1 year later...