Aquael Classic 100 (rectangle)

after getting a hefty sum of cash from family for Chinese New Year (wooo!) today, I've been looking into getting a brand new tank (although I'm also waiting on a reply from a lady with a second-hand Rio 180 for £100). in the price/size respect, I've found that the Aquael Classic 100 seems to be the best, as it's 200 litres for £159.99 delivered. Thing is, I don't think I've seen anyone on here post about their Aquaels, and on a quick review search, I've read that they're on the low-end of the aquarium quality scale?? I'm a bit worried because I don't want it to be constantly problematic (eg. hood shortcircuiting, water leaking, etc) as this would be the final tank, no more upgrades after this (well, I hope, but you never know about this addiction lol). so basically I'm just wondering: does anyone know if Aquaels are any good?

my other dilemma is that, with the Aquael, I think I can have one more goldie (I have 3 at the moment, one of which is stunted). but if the lady with the Rio 180 comes through, I'd get a new tank WITH a stand for cheaper, BUT I'd also not be able to get any more fish, and I'd love more than anything to complete my set with a lovely wee ranchu or lionhead... IDK GUYS, WHAT DO YOU THINK?!

Do you have to buy the new Aquael right now or could you wait on it and see if you find a 200l second hand for less than the Aquael?

You know, if you aren't in a big rush, then maybe waiting for "the perfect deal" on second hand might be the better idea? :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Ugh! I hate dilemmas like this!

I can't speak to the brand of tank, but it sounds like you really want the bigger tank, so I think you should hold out for one. If you decide against the one you are looking at, maybe you could wait a bit, save a little more for a better one, or keep watching for something used. I can say that if you already can picture the perfect fish to round out your set, then you will still want that fish, even if you buy the smaller tank. And it will haunt you!

I'm not in a huuuge rush, but I do have 3 fancies and only a 63 litre tank (one's in qt at the moment though). so I'd preferably like to get one within the month so I can just put the new guy in after qt is done!

I am definitely holding out to see if the Rio 180 would still be available/deliverable, and if so, most probably take that, but it's the whole wanting-a-ranchu issue for that. Shawnee, you're right, I'm worried that it'll haunt me and I'll just end up spending more money on another tank haha :( of course I'll still be checking out ads whilst I wait for a reply though, see if anything about 200 litres crops up on the cheap!

If you don't get the space for that ranchu, you will have to leave Koko's. Otherwise it's torture here. Every little wiggly cutie is temptation. It's so bad that totally caved and got three! ;)

I agree, and I am so jealous that you got three! Darn my lfs for messing up my order. I was suppose to have two little wiggly ranchus right now :(.

It does look like a very basic set up and my initial concern is that it doesn't come with a stand. Rocket Aquatics are selling it for £315 with stand. Where will you be putting the tank ? I reckon the tank itself may way around 30-40 kg and once you add the substrate and water (1 litre of water weighs 1 kg) you will be looking at around 250 kg. That is quarter of a ton ! Make sure the place you are looking to put the tank will hold out with that weight. You will also need an aquarium mat as this tank doesn't come with one.

It does look like a very basic set up and my initial concern is that it doesn't come with a stand. Rocket Aquatics are selling it for £315 with stand. Where will you be putting the tank ? I reckon the tank itself may way around 30-40 kg and once you add the substrate and water (1 litre of water weighs 1 kg) you will be looking at around 250 kg. That is quarter of a ton ! Make sure the place you are looking to put the tank will hold out with that weight. You will also need an aquarium mat as this tank doesn't come with one.

Yep, make sure about that! If you live in an apartment you will need to find a place that can hold the tank's weight. If weight is not an issue, I would keep looking for a cheaper, larger tank.

And stands aren't that difficult to make. If you are somewhat handy, or know someone who is, they can make you an ultra sturdy stand out of 2x4s.

hmm I've made the schoolboy error of not calculating weight into all of this... the problem is I live in a second floor flat with wooden floors. I'm not sure how much weight it would be able to take, and how on earth do I check!? D:

I don't know how to actually check how much your floorboards are able to take but I guess thinking about noise from upstairs/downstairs might give you an idea of how thick your flooring is likely to be. I live in a third floor flat and was more worried about whether my large unit was capable of holding my 120 litre tank, in fact I never even considered if the floors would support it all!

I believe my flooring to be quite solid as the flat downstairs has a toddler (quite a noisy one) but I have never heard any noise when in my flat from downstairs (only when I am in the stairwell).

My unit alone is super heavy (heavier than the full tank), the doors and the 2 inch thick top needed to be taken off it to get it into the house by three guys! I think floors are probably stronger than we give them credit for, especially in an older building. However, although my unit is capable of easily fitting a 4 foot tank, I just wouldnt risk it. I think I'd rather have two seperate 120l tanks rather than a 240. Although I suppose that depends if you have the space to house two tanks.

if I don't find a big enough tank for the three of them, I'm tempted to just get another 10-15 gallon (as I have the space for it on my desk) and transfer the newbie there for the time being, and then in future, when I have a stable income/ground floor flat, I'll invest in a big tank. this seems more practical, no??

I think your floor will be fine with the weight as long as it is evenly distributed, 250 kg is about 40 stone in weight. If you get 4 x 10 stone or heavier people to stand all together on your floor i am sure they wouldn't fall through :)

Alistair is right. As long as it's evenly distributed, your floor should hold the weight of the unit. (Though all this talk of kg and stones is confusing this poor American! :P )

What I would suggest it one of two things: first, you can check with your municipality for the building plans for your building. They are required to have those records available for you, and you can check how much weight your floors are rated to hold. OR (if you are all for less leg work...like me!), you can find your floor joists (use a stud finder, or simply knock on your floor and listen for hollow sounds) and situate your unit ACROSS these joists.

EDIT: just did the math, 250kg as Alistair suggests is about 550lbs. You should be fine with that weight...water beds can weight up to 1500lbs and they are usually safe on second floors! :o

Alistair is right. As long as it's evenly distributed, your floor should hold the weight of the unit. (Though all this talk of kg and stones is confusing this poor American! :P )

What I would suggest it one of two things: first, you can check with your municipality for the building plans for your building. They are required to have those records available for you, and you can check how much weight your floors are rated to hold. OR (if you are all for less leg work...like me!), you can find your floor joists (use a stud finder, or simply knock on your floor and listen for hollow sounds) and situate your unit ACROSS these joists.

EDIT: just did the math, 250kg as Alistair suggests is about 550lbs. You should be fine with that weight...water beds can weight up to 1500lbs and they are usually safe on second floors! :o

I just want to emphasize that point. I chose not to set up a 120 gallon tank that I bought after we realized that the weight would not be distributed. However, in my research, I found that most people can set up a 55 gallon tank anywhere in a home without concern. http://www.cichlid-f...rium_weight.php

Edited by ShawneeRiver

good to know guys, thanks! :)

NOW my problem is, I've found a 3ft x 1ft x 1.5ft tank, which I calculated to be approx 33.7 US gallons/130.9 litres. this is a bit less than I was hoping for but it's £40 and about 15 mins away from where I live. could I get away with 3 goldies in a 33.7 gallon, bearing in mind that one is stunted and most likely won't grow any bigger than 4 inches? the problem I'm having with looking at larger tanks is that I have nowhere to put it in my current flat if it's over 3ft, and tanks 180 litres+ are usually a bit bigger. I'll have to move in June, but obviously I've not found a flat yet, so my other option is to wait until I move and see if there's any space for a bigger tank anywhere.

I know the standard is 20 gallons for the first and then 10 for each one after that, but I know someone who's been keeping goldfish for a while and she's said she's had no problems with one per 10 gallons, providing that she does regular wc's.

BASICALLY should I grab this bargain while I can, or should I wait and get something in excess of 180 litres after I move??

3 should be fine in a 130 litre tank but remember that the smaller the tank the more work for you :( As long as you keep on top of large regular water changes and checking your params your fish will be ok.

well I was hoping that whatever I buy next will be my permanent tank for a good few years, so I'm thinking nab this and just do 80% water changes every 4-5 days or something?

yep, I've got a 10 litre bucket that I siphon the water into, and although this means many a trip to the sink, it doesn't bother me :)

yeah I've read about this python thing but I've never seen it for sale anywhere haha. anyway I've just confirmed everything and it's getting brought to me at 6pm! looks like this:

108309457.jpg

I'm well excited!!

aw no awful news. the lady was about to bring it over when she cracked it against the door. back to the drawing board then :( :( :(